• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

make me prefer a .30-06

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
Been looking at Remington 700 ADLs. I'm looking for an entry level precision rifle setup for around 600 bucks. Don't need a 1000 yard tack driver, but I want something that can hit waht I want at around 500-600 yards. I know the shooter (me) is capable. I'm an infantryman, and have done plenty of iron sight and red dot 300 meter shots. if I had a scope I doubt i'd have a problem. and if I do, i'd want a starter setup to begin with

so my plan is a rifle for around 300 and a scope for around 300. bringing me to 600... (yes, no shit. i'll be limited to used rifles)

well I found a nice couple year old Remington 700 ADL .30-06 for 300 bucks.

I found couple R700 ADLs that are .308 but they are priced at 600 and don't have a mildot scope that I'm looking for. so...

should I keep waiting or get to work on the .30-06 platform? I'll be doing my own reloads, so that's not an issue, and soon enough I could replace it or get another setup in .308 anyways. this is testing the waters for bolt action precision rifles for me...

I think both .308 and .30-06 are both excellent calibers, and the only thing I can say is, .308 is lighter and cheaper.

That's about it...

so what do I go with!?

Thanks!

Re: make me prefer a .30-06

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please stop saying "Sniper Rifle"

A "Sniper Rifle" is a rifle meant for a sniper and used by a sniper... and the cost a shit load more than 600.

</div></div>

ok. a cheap rifle. I'll use that word, 600 dollars apparently her is a cursed rifle.

try this one......
inappropriatebatman.jpg

Its not that it is a cursed rifle and you dont need to call it a cheap rifle.

"Im looking to get into the precision rifle world and have a few questions about a starter rifle and optic"

That would be a much better start. You will get a better response approaching this the right way. Im not ragging on you, just trying to help.

ok, got it.

thanks for the correction, i'll use the correct terminology from now on. ironic the forum is called sniper's hide...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt.creedmoor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try this one......
inappropriatebatman.jpg
</div></div>LMAO

Listen to KNIGHT11B4 or anyone else who's been on here for a while. These guys know what they are talking about and can either help you out tremendously or point you in the right direction. You can be a smart ass and no one will piss on you even if you're on fire.

Go with the .308. There is a lot you can do with a number of decently priced guns out there in that caliber. Read/learn all you can because somewhere someone asked the same questions you're asking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok, got it.

thanks for the correction, i'll use the correct terminology from now on. ironic the forum is called sniper's hide...</div></div>

That's because 9-10 years ago, the majority of people were snipers as is/was the owner of the site

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok, got it.

thanks for the correction, i'll use the correct terminology from now on. ironic the forum is called sniper's hide... </div></div>

Sarcasm got it load and clear...

Let me ask you a question? Are you a sniper????

Because given your comment about the site name you should be correct? I mean this is Sniper's Hide.. If your not a sniper then why come here?

Your on the line, pick what side you want to stand on and ill respond accordingly.

Its called the Sniper's Hide but that doesnt make my rifle a sniper rifle, nor does it make me a sniper even as I too was a DFG, dumb fucking grunt.

Going to an Irish Pub doesnt make me Irish, (thank Gawd
wink.gif
)

Wearing an NYPD hat doesnt make me a cop, (again thank Gawd but for different reasons)

So dragging your grunt ass in here doesnt make your 300 dollar rifle a sniper rifle.

Yeah its called the Sniper's Hide but think of it as more a Holiday Inn Express
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A "Sniper Rifle" is a rifle meant for a sniper and used by a sniper... and the cost a shit load more than 600.</div></div>

Tell that to Simo Häyhä

Money does not a sniper rifle make.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A "Sniper Rifle" is a rifle meant for a sniper and used by a sniper... and the cost a shit load more than 600.</div></div>

Tell that to Simo Häyhä

Money does not a sniper rifle make. </div></div>

Touche and I agree, It was a poor example. I was referring to the current cost of weapons used by the military.

I think other point explained what I was getting at.

Just buy the 308 then come back on here and ask everyone which scope you should buy, and which ammo you should buy, and what bipod you should buy, and ...and.....and... OR, just go and look through the 100 other posts exactly like this one!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt.creedmoor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try this one......
inappropriatebatman.jpg
</div></div>

That must come with some pretty graphic instructions.

id take the 308 for obvious reasons in a precision rifle platform. I own a 30-06 but its a springfield. If you reload its not a bad cartridge. It's alot cheaper shooting 308 however. Heres a target from my 30-06 this weekend.
IMG_0139.jpg

First group is at 100 with a fourth coldbore above, second at 200 with one flier. Iron sights. Add remington 700 platform like you plan, optics, good stock, and your good to go. If you want to shoot 30-06 and you reload anyways do it.

hah, thanks for the informational post and the grouping pic. much appreciated

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

wink.gif
)

</div></div>

Hold on there just a damn minute....you got a problem with Irish?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

wink.gif
)

</div></div>

Hold on there just a damn minute....you got a problem with Irish? </div></div>

Irish suck,,,so what. J/k my last name is Nolan.

Wow, nice replies. I think you should go with a 30-06. Its a nice cheap rifle and you can always go with something different later. Contrary to what some people say, any rifle can be a sniper rifle and anyone can be a sniper. Not anyone can be a Marine Corps Scout Sniper but thats another story.

You dont need the most expensive scope or the most expensive rifle. You could indeed spend 300 dollars on a scope and 300 dollars on a rifle and still kill deer/punch targets at 500 yards with practice. you might not be able to get 1 inch groups at a thousand yards but that kind of precision is very very expensive and not really necessary unless you are competing.

From what I have read on Wikipedia the U.S. Army requirement is 1 MOA and most mid range off the shelf deer rifles can deliver that. With a few upgrades you can get that down to .5 moa. Alot of people want the newest gear, the best gear and exactly what the SOF snipers are using. You don't really need all that.

Thank you for your service. I met a few special forces guys when I served and most remembered that while they where the tip of the spear guys us little non special forces guys also mattered. Someone had to fix the airplanes (in my case) Sometimes people forget that. Welcome to the forum.

If you're only going to 500, get a Savage in 223. When the time is right, change the pipe on it and make it a .308.

Howa 1500 Varmint in 308, or a Savage in 223 in a new stock. bed it, shoot the shit out of it, then shoot it more... when you get "good" at 500-1000m, shoot some more. try to get as close to the rifle's capability as you can. by then you will have some idea of the next step in order for your chosen path, which by the looks of it, is going to be rocky, uphill, and slick as hell. good luck

[/quote]

Let me ask you a question? Are you a sniper? I mean this is Sniper's Hide.. If your not a sniper then why come here?

[/quote]

LMFAO!!! If that was the case then this site would only have a handful of visitors! I'm not ragging on you or trying to start shit, but that was really funny!!

My only reply to this thread is, Where is that cute deer eating the popcorn watching this thread,LOL

savage in .308 and later get a B&C stock. If you are on a budget. Get one with a heavy barrel. 223 would be a good start, you could shoot it out and rebarrel in 308 later.
my 2cents

Used 700 in 06 and a SS scope or Nikon to start. Then pull the tube on the LA and build from it. Come on, a 700 LA is a sweet stick.

My 2¢