• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Making a difference

Jered Joplin

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
It's always a humbling yet awesome experience the moment your wife or child beats your ass at the range. I thought I'd share my moment. First I will start by saying my wife isn't a major rifle enthusiast but she like to hang with the big boys and loves to join us in the hunt. I started training her in the basics 2 years ago just to keep us from embarrassing ourselves when we went to TX and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on camera. I told her she needed to be able to hit 5 for 5 kneeling/supported (sticks) at 100 on a 6" disk with my 22LR before she got her license. I knew she could do it but we had a lot of ground to cover in a short time frame. Well flash forward to last weekend. We have now transformed from Mrs. I'm going to take 30 minutes to shoot this target and we'll probably go through 50 rounds all day to Hey ass wipe why did you only load me 200 rounds. That won't last me 30 minutes
grin.gif

For those that don't know my wife she's an absolute sweetheart and I don't deserve her so take it all with a smile.

So we are out at the range and she is clearing targets out to 500 while switching from target to target with speed and precision. Shooting .5 MOA with a 3-9x using hold overs in a TDS reticle and 100g Ballistic tips (257 Roberts Imp).
Finally she picks the gun up, steps around the front of the bench, politely says bitch give me 5 more rounds & don't take all day about it
wink.gif
(Sorry I need dramatization to make this work). She shot 5 for 5 at 200 kneeling with her little deer rifle on a 12" plate. She prompted me to do the same with the 3 rounds she graciously saved for me. I hit one..........the rest is history.
I couldn't have been more proud of her. We could barely get her head in the truck door to get back home but other than that things are good. She wants to go again with us this weekend. I think I feel a bad case of gingivitis coming on so I don't know if I'll maker it or not
blush.gif

The moral of the story is don't forget to include the family whenever you can. The day they start kicking your butt is the day you know you made a difference.

Re: Making a difference

Wish I could get my wife a little more excited about shooting... But I think not possible with this one...

I know you've already received some replies, but I had to add mine nonetheless. <span style="font-weight: bold">THANK YOU!</span> You really hit a nerve with me. I am a really junior shooter, but I have my strengths elsewhere. Nothing makes me happier than being that person who opens a door for someone else and sees them streak past. You did it for family members. Wonderful.

If she is into smack talking Just remind her that she shoots an A.P.A rifle so its not all her. That should stirr up the hornets nest....lol

Dude I just know there is video of the humiliation...time to post it up.
laugh.gif

Jeffvn

That's awesome, Jered. My girlfriend sometimes goes with me to the range, and she always shoots when she goes, but she doesn't get very excited or ask to go. That's awesome that you've ignited that enthusiasm in your wife. Maybe Jill will want to go help me wear out this new barrel when she sees what a wonderful job you did on this rifle
smile.gif

There is not such video........if it did exist it was lost..........

The smack talk has continued. She says I'll have an opportunity to "man up" today if I go to the range with her.

Joplin, I know the feeling you are having only I haven't made it to the range with the wife yet. We signed up for a long range class here in MI and so far she has bought a Savage 12 223 1:7, PST, base, rings, Atlas, Atlas mount, bullets, more primers, a water purification filter (in case she doesn't like the taste of the water at the place we are going), a backpacking stove for tea and coffee on the range, cooking equipment in case she gets hungry out there, back pack to carry everything, new shoes, new pants, new hat, new electronic earmuffs, new flashlight for the land navigation course they are having while we are there, and she is going to buy a T4 and send it in to get bedded. Oh and a Vortex Razor spotting scope in in her sights as soon as we go to Cabelas. Probably going to have to get a second job but don't really care as she is loving the idea of just going out and shooting.

Plus she as been working out for the class.

It was a different story today. I hit 2 for 2 before she took her rifle and ammo away from me. The smack talk still continues. She states "1 of her shots was more centered than mine". At least she's still asking me to go to the range so we're GTG for now.

It's called psychological warfare. When I went 9 for 10, and my fiance was 9 for 9 and about to shoot her last shot, I made sure and let her know that there is no pressure, all you have to do is hit this one last shot to beat me. She missed.
grin.gif
We didn't have a tie-breaker, we just left it a tie. She is pretty good with a .22, but scared of anything with recoil or muzzle blast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was a different story today. I hit 2 for 2 before she took her rifle and ammo away from me. The smack talk still continues. She states "1 of her shots was more centered than mine". At least she's still asking me to go to the range so we're GTG for now.
</div></div>

Joplin sounds like you have created a monster too LOL. But it sure is a good feeling when the WANT to go out shooting with you. Even though you will never be able to live it down that she out shot you. Not even if you out shoot her for the rest of your life, when you're in the nursing home, it will still be she shot better than you LOL.

Mine outshoots me all the time. She regularly puts groups around 1/2 moa while I throw out an average of 3/4 moa.

She's a natural... and yet, she does not get excited about going to the range.

This is with an SPS Tactical .308 -- not the hardest kicking mule... but enough to make one flinch.

I like the fact that you posted this up. I have an 18 yo daughter who regularly does the same (kicks my butt on long range shooting). She almost won a 'friendly' 1000 yd competition with her 300 WSM she uses for hunting. Made it to the last round and beat out a bunch of experienced shooters to take second.
She regularly asks, "we shooting this weekend dad?" With her going off to college next year the answer is always "yep!"
I am truly blessed!

I very much appreciate your story. I had a similar experience with my wife on the pistol range. You may want to remind your wife of how important it is to have a good instructor. They are rare, hard to find, and should be treated with nothing shy of reverence, and back rubs.

My wife and I headed up to the range to get her all set to wipe out intruders and marauders, thieves and hooligans. She’d never shot a pistol, ever. Pulled the trigger on a shotgun once and swore off that for life. I was just hoping she would be OK with the pistol and eventually develop some comfort with it. I figured I’d be rebuilding target frames the next day, but all for a good cause.

Armed with a P226ST, which weighs about half as much as she does, we start out with the safety list, safety drills, grip, body position, racking the slide, dry firing, etc etc etc. We’re doing the CAR system, so it’s easier for her to keep steady. The whole time she is super timid with the pistol, like she’s got a big scorpion in her hand, but she’s slowly getting more comfortable. We spent a lot of time working with it unloaded, just so it would become more familiar and not such a strange thing to pick up. Finger off the trigger, press check, finger off the trigger, cock the hammer, from low up into position, dry fire. No live rounds till you keep your damn finger off the trigger! Those fu*&^%$rs on TV have just about ruined it. Over an over an over.

When we got to her first shot, she pulls one off, whimpering, but manages to hit the target in the belly at 5 yds. The whimpering is a bad sign. I tell her a gut shot is actually pretty devastating, in the long run. She doesn’t shoot me. We keep working it, and within 2 hours, she’s coming from low into position and doing triples to the heart, the whole time muttering “Take this you fu#*xg sh#%head!” Then she moves on to doubles and triples between the eyes, then two to the heart and one btw the eyes. All fast and calm, mag drop and in goes another. Bada bang bada boom. Her last target looked like it was hit once in the heart and once in the head with buckshot from 5yds. No problem. The hair on the back of my neck didn’t lay down for about three days.

Jered

I think its excellent that she shoots, and takes an interest in what you do. The only downside, is now the range is no longer an opportunity to escape. Well that and the $$$$ flying out the door as she now starts accumulate her collection of rifles and gear.

Jeffvn

Jered,

You need to spend less time here and more time over on the food network cuz she can already run the CNC and now she can out shoot you. Pretty soon all you will be allowed to do is cook and clean.

No more burrito for you!
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

Trust me I'll shake the metal chips out of my hair and pick the chips out of my socks any day to go cook a burrito if she's whiling to run the machine......Good to hear from you Doc!

All things being equal I keep her away from work as often as possible. She does her thing and I do mine but she does have a hanker'n for put shit down for a dirt nap and I enjoy the table fair. Given the opportunity I figure we should at least make her proficient at it. I eat better than I shoot so by my logic I'm on the right path.

Five for five at 200 kneeling ain't nothing to sneeze at! Keep up the good work Kayla!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's always a humbling yet awesome experience the moment your wife or child beats your ass at the range.

The moral of the story is don't forget to include the family whenever you can. The day they start kicking your butt is the day you know you made a difference.
</div></div>

I couldn't agree more! Tin cans at 50 yards with irons has become the norm for the little one.

1329054677.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWP6114</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a wee little Veal...

you got enough for a fire team yet? </div></div>

Fire team? 'bout got me a squad!
laugh.gif

I can relate!

I created a monster myself (Wifes become a shootin machine)
cry.gif

Unfortunately or fortunately? I haven't made up my mind yet about the subject
grin.gif
,just kidding. She and I both won 2 matches last year in Field target air rifle. I retained the wholeness of my fragile male ego at the state match but she got high woman
wink.gif

Congrats on teaching your Wife to shoot well!

I took my .22 mag this winter when I went home to visit the folks. I have a little 9 year old brother I figured I would teach the basics of shooting to, so one morning we set up a bench and a target 50 yards out. I taught him about eye relief, moon rings in the scope, trigger control/saftey, breath control and how to shoulder the weapon. A few dry fire runs and we were off, wouldnt you know it, little $$$$ key holed them the first mag. Length of pull was even to long for him and he could barely hold it correctly, didnt stop him. Maybe he should be teaching me!