• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MAKING A KNIGHT'S M5 RAS FREE FLOAT- PICS

VJJPunisher

Necromancing the stone
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2010
prison purse
ok so I'm a poor man and can't go out buyin hoydee toydee new free floated Larue's or knights tubes so here is a project I took on over a Saturday Afternoon. I checked my keester stash pile of misc parts laying around and found a couple Knight's M5 RAS systems laying about. Also found a spare DCM free float tube for a Competition service rifle. Since the M5 was not compatible since it's designed to replace standard A2 handguards with no mods, I wanted the four rails and free float setup so I set to work MAKING it compatible. here is what went on

m5-6.jpg

m5-2.jpg

m5-1.jpg

the rivets and drift pins need to be popped or removed to remove all the excess junk on the sleeve. As seen in the above pics, extra metal and plastic comes off.

m5-3.jpg

this heat shield trash is popped off also

m5-5.jpg

leaving this stripped lower section

m5-9.jpg

mount said Service Rifle free float tube

Next using some MAD dremel tool skillz modify the front lips of the upper and lower rails to slide smoothly into the float tube(really not hard)

m5-4.jpg

BEFORE

m5-8.jpg

AFTER

RAS was beat to hell so I coated the bad boy in Matte Black Alumahyde 2 and mounted

Re: MAKING A KNIGHT'S M5 RAS FREE FLOAT- PICS

Nice work!! Nothing like a little ingenuity and some hard work on a project like this to make you feel good. It looks like it turned out great.

Also, I love the fact that you just happened to have "a couple Knight's M5 RAS systems laying about." Wish to hell my spare parts/AR parts/accessories bin looked more like yours!!
wink.gif

don't get too excited, this project used up my two good extra parts! thanks for the complement by the way

needin an acog for this now, anyone for trades on a BSA or countersniper?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">needin an acog for this now, anyone for trades on a BSA or countersniper? </div></div>

Plenty of ACOGs floating around, but I think you are gonna be S.O.L. on finding someone to trade for one of those other two "optics" (I use the terms losely)! But who knows...PT Barnum wasn't far off the mark!!
wink.gif

HA HA HA, hope yall know that was a joke. seriously am lookin for a deal on an acog tho

grin.gif
I knew you were kidding!
grin.gif

If you keep your eyes peeled, ACOGs come up for sale fairly often here on the board as well as AR-15 sites like BARFCOM (if you can stand the environment long enough to look through the Equipment Exchange over there).

What model are you looking for specifically?

BRILLIANT!

Scott A. from the old Army Reserve Rifle Team came down to Benning and ran his across-the-course rifle with float tube and A2 handguards through the DM course. I've always wondered what it would take to do exactly this.

Very sharp looking rifle!
smile.gif
More pitchers!

prolly a TA11, standard DMR Acog, think that's the model

I'm gonna sell this rail for $10,000, it IS a Knights you know

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm gonna sell this rail for $10,000, it IS a Knights you know </div></div>

No, no, no! Only the complete rifles cost $10k!! You could probably only get $2k for the extra-special free-floating M5 RAS!!
wink.gif

so thats whats goin on yer knight rail? send pics bro...on second thought maybe dont,lol?

Necessity is the mother of invention, and it looks like you did one heck of job.