• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Making a Rem 700 bolt slide smooth?

TigerHK

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
New Jersey
I've searched on the board but haven't found anything yet, figured I would just ask.

I have a Remington 700, pretty new... the bolt doesn't slide easy and smooth like I'd want it to. It's totally functional but requires enough effort to pull me way off target.

Any suggestions or links to threads that could solve my problem?

TIA

Re: Making a Rem 700 bolt slide smooth?

Might not be the answer you are looking for, but my solution is to put a little grease on the rear of the lugs, some light lube on the bolt and run the hell out of it. Dry fire and cycle it, lots.
My Remington actions are all nice and smooth these days, but the didn't start that way.

Good Luck

Having the lugs lapped miight help. I noticed a measureable difference in smoothness of a factory 700 to when I trued it and rebarreled and then even more when I coated the inside of the action. You should be putting a little bit of gun grease on the locking lug mating surfaces and cocking cam surfaces anyway. I've started using Imperial Sizing Wax for it, easy to apply, it's sitting on my bench and it goes on invisibly.

mine is slick as a whistle. just use a little lubriplate every once in a while

One thing I have noticed that isn't addressed here, is sometimes the follower will drag on the bolt while cycling. Most times the bolt just needs to break in, but if you can cycle it smoothly with the follower removed, then you can know where to look to smooth things up. Other than that, cycling to break in and a good lubricant will smooth it up over time.

Have you tried to cycle the action without the stock? Just want to make sure that the action isn't twisted are stressed in any way.