• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Making the AICS fit??

Sportin Wood

Team Hardwood
Minuteman
  • Jul 17, 2010
    The Woods, WA
    Anyone having issues with your AICS chassis to get a good fit with your Rem 700's straight from the factory?? I've heard that some of the chassis's are requiring extra work to mill out some area so the remmy's will fit and then they need to be bedded.. Anybody running into these issues??

The only machining I've ever needed to do on AICS chassis is to open the trigger pockets for a Jewell or open the recoil lug slot for a thicker recoil lug. (Also bolt handle relief mods for a Surgeon action, but you're talking about factory R700 actions.)

The newer AICS stocks have a wider recoil lug relief milled into them that will fit most oversize recoil lugs but AI hasn't made any alterations to the trigger pocket. A Jewell trigger requires a couple of areas be opened up in the AICS for clearance while a Timney trigger requires either a small groove be machined in the AICS for the pin that pokes out of the left side when the safety is engaged or you can slightly file down the protruding pin on the trigger itself and then it will fit in the AICS as-is.

I'm not saying AI is immune from any problems but if there's a fitment issue I'd tend to believe it's a Remington issue-- there have been one or two posts here recently of guys with poorly installed/clocked recoil lugs and misdrilled/tapped holes on new R700s, if they poorly finish the bottom profile of the receiver it's going to have issues fitting in the stock.

Last edited:
    Anyone having issues with your AICS chassis to get a good fit with your Rem 700's straight from the factory?? I've heard that some of the chassis's are requiring extra work to mill out some area so the remmy's will fit and then they need to be bedded.. Anybody running into these issues??

From my experience, the necessary milling was only with certain aftermarket triggers. Once for a long recoil lug.
    Out of my four AICSs, three are bedded in some fashion and the one not bedded is a .22LR. There was no milling in relation to the bedding itself.

BTW, that has long been my favorite avatar.

I used to have a Remy 700PSS and it fit right in the AICS stock with out any modification.

I have 2 ( old remmy and new 5r) and no mods what so ever. No bedding either and both shoot awesome. i had an older AICS 1.5 and had to file out a spot for the trigger safety but that's it. Maybe depending on the year make of the stock and year of the action, might have slight differences.

Last edited: