• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing making your own stock

fish2keel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has or makes there own stocks at home. Doesn't seem to difficult to do. Im talking more in the lands of synthetic or fiberglass design more than wood. Just wondering how yall go about it?

Thanks

F2k

Re: making your own stock

Jacq, So I have learned. Ive generally got the design all layed out and into the right 1:1 ratio so its going along im just not exactly sure on how im going to go about the mold.

I was told by friends who do molds and fiberglass that I can use foam and layer it with clay and then build a mold to lay my glass down to form my stock design.

Just a little iffy on how exactly i want my grip. I like the a3 style grip but also like a pistol grip just not sure if the cheek rest will be comfy with a ar grip vs a normal tactical design

Hey guys,

So Heres what ive come up with so far. I have my design on paper. I have drawn it and blown it up to 1:1 scale of the dimensions I want for the stock. Now I need to make a mold.

I got to reading at benchrest central about balsa core and carbon or fiberglass over it. I like the idea of using a center for the glass or carbon to be over but instead of balsa I was thinking of a foam possible even the foam from a surf board blank? Since im in florida we have tons of surf board makers so finding a blank would just mean going to a surf shop.

So I was thinking of taking the drawing and making it from the foam and splitting the foam down the middle to make a carbon fiber center piece for structure similar to surf boards. Then taking the foam and layering it on the outside with carbon fiber or fiberglass and resin to make it hard and strong.

Any objections?

I think you have it well scoped out. I'd stay away from Kevlar...even tho it is tough, it is awfully hard to finish down. Those fuzzy fibers are so darn tough that you have to shave them off with a razor blade.

former naval person, Thanks for the advice. Ill stay away from kevlar. I originally was going that route but have found like you said that it is hard on tools and hard to work with.

Right now the plan is to use a surfboard blank foam or polyurethane foam and then use carbon fiber as well through out. I may try fiberglass the first round to make sure Ive got it right before using the fiberglass since it is expensive.

The carbon fiber will be around 5-6 oz im thinking.

I will also be using a butt stock so that I can add weight if needed since I have heard there is sometimes a problem with to much weight up front.

I was wondering though if anyone has a length of the drop of the grip or close to it on the a3 stocks or even the sako trg 42 stocks?

Post a picture of your concept! My dad has done a lot of casting and glassing on boats back in the day, I'll see if he'll give you a little write up. In the mean time, look for fiberglass and epoxy casting forums, all the info you need is out there, and I'm sure more experienced casters would be happy to help you.

Do you plan to produce these, or is this just a fun project?

A-rok,

Ill try to get a picture up for you soon!

Ive done some fiberglassing myself and using carbon fiber but never something to this with my rifle.

I wouldn't mind producing these in a smaller scale if people are interested. Im always here to give back. For now its just a fun project.

I wanted a stock that felt like it was made for me. The stock is simple but the grip for my hand is fit and has the right length and shape just for my hand. The forearm is this way as well.

If anyone has any advice or ideas on a design they would like to see I would be up for seeing it or possible try to reproduce it to see if it will work.

Right now I just am trying to figure out how im going to inlet the receiver so that it fits snug. Any ideas?

Here are a pic of one I did lately. I also have several others I have done since this one. This is a 100% fiberglass that I made from scratch for my left hand savage mk II.
007-1.jpg

Well guys after fumbling around with several ideas and drawings I think I may have narrowed it down to the stock design Im going to build.

So everyone knows I do not shoot competition(although I would love to learn) I just am a country buy that loves building things and loves to shoot and hunt. Ive been around guns my whole life and have been shooting and hunting for over 10 years.

In the passed few years I have been able to learn more about long range shooting and hunting and since then have seen my father get many rifles designed for long range. I have several guns but not one designed for this. Even after having shot and handled so many I always desired more. Something that felt like it was fit for me. Every detail paned out just how I liked it and how i shoot.

So last year I worked on a project(full time student at Embry Riddle) building a uav plane for nasa(ive been building rc planes and uav's well over 15 years) and played with carbon fiber. Although Ive played with it some I hadn't to this scale. So this year I decided to build my own stock for my rifle.

As stated above I will be using surf board foam and carbon fiber throughout the mold. The outside of the stock will be all carbon fiber though.

There is still alot more to do but here is the drawing of what I believe is my perfect rifle stock! In the coming weeks I will keep posting pictures and detail my build for the hide! Hope you all enjoy!

Here is a different pic of my same stock. I will get the other pics to you via pm in the next couple of days.

SDC12482.jpg

azprc,

Thanks for the picture and ill be looking for that pm!

Looks like my way and your way of doing the stock is pretty similar. How did you get the inlet and the reciever design to work though? I thought about having a cnc do it once its set up

thanks

f2k

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Azprc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a different pic of my same stock. I will get the other pics to you via pm in the next couple of days.

SDC12482.jpg
</div></div>

Would you have any suggestions on resources for learning the process you used to make your stock? I'm really interested in learning how this is accomplished. Thanks - Corey

Corey,

There used to be a book out but the gentlemen who wrote it has since stopped producing it.

I learned through tons and tons of research plus working with rc planes and what not has helped too.

One site I like if no one minds me posting is benchrest.com. Those guys build balsa and composite stocks all the time. Im just filling in the balsa with foam and putting a twist on it from what I learned with rc planes with using foam and carbon fiber.

Im sure azprc will chime in with his technique as well.

Just read up and go for it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fish2keel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Corey,

There used to be a book out but the gentlemen who wrote it has since stopped producing it.

I learned through tons and tons of research plus working with rc planes and what not has helped too.

One site I like if no one minds me posting is benchrest.com. Those guys build balsa and composite stocks all the time. Im just filling in the balsa with foam and putting a twist on it from what I learned with rc planes with using foam and carbon fiber.

Im sure azprc will chime in with his technique as well.

Just read up and go for it! </div></div>

Thanks! I've been doing a lot of googling and reading. The original O'Neals Surf Shop is about a block away from me (I'm surrounded by surf shops), so I've looked at the idea of using surf board blanks too. I'd really like to learn how to replicate the method that McMillan uses and then learn how to modify from there.

Thanks for posting this thread ... I'm watching with great interest.

How exactly does McMillan do there stocks? Ive never been able to handle one so I couldnt find much on there design.

And thanks for following youll enjoy the next few weeks of the build to say the least!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fish2keel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How exactly does McMillan do there stocks? Ive never been able to handle one so I couldnt find much on there design.

And thanks for following youll enjoy the next few weeks of the build to say the least! </div></div>

THAT is a good question ...
smile.gif

I thought I read they have foam inside or atleast in the butt stock but ive never seen a picture of the inside other than when people bed them and they cut some of the stock.

Could be a plug mold though im not sure

Closed cell foam- maybe build the stock wtih that, then fiberglass it.

I dont' recall where I got my foam at, spruce or something like that...But you can buy it in sheets or blocks.

Once you carve it, glass it over with some matt and 10# glass.

I believe non waxed resin would be preferred.

Use a respirator too, that stuff is nasty..

I built this boat (Sorta, I did all the decking and other stuff) back in 2006..

323.jpg

articlight,

Thanks for the post! Awesome picture! Looks like a 9.9-15? Sweet boat non the less!

Yeah thats generally what im doing except once my foam is cut to shape i will cut it down the middle and put in a strip of carbon fiber all the way down it. I also have some other techniques from working with foam wings in rc planes.

You say a #10 weight glass. I read on benchrest that a 5-6 weight is all you really need but then again they use alot of rimfire's and it was stated there that recoil would be different. Ill get a sample of both and see what happens.

Yeah im still looking for foam. I tried to order it online since its always easier to order things online but if all else fails ill just go to natural arts surf boards or a surf company and pick up some. Theres a custom surf shop that all they do is cut surf board foam to shape next to my boat mechanic.

Have you thought about using just plain old foam board insulation? You could buy a 4x8 sheet at home depot for a few bucks and have enough to make several stocks. Or is there something special about surfboard foam?

Surfboard foam is a polyurethane foam which from my reading is the foam that is used in most stocks. Plus is has tendencies that help with adhering to fiberglass i believe. It is also stronger than insulation allowing it to stand up to the recoil of the rifle. I could be wrong but this is what I have gathered

Balsa would make a great core also. It is a lot stronger than
I thought. Prob use it for my next core. I used birch plywood
laminated together than wrapped with 3 layers of fiberclass cloth and resin. I have shot that stock in competition.

upjeeper,

Thanks for the link ill take a look at it!

scimitar, Balsa is a good core. It has a high amount of strength for its area but it was talked about on benchrest.com that it may not be very good at handling the recoil from a centerfire rifle. Im not sure if this is really true but all those guys over there use balsa cores and they love them!

I was originally going to go with balsa but then read some of the post there regarding if it would hold up with the recoil and decided against it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: upjeeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally can't vouch for this stuff, but i've got a coworker who used to make boats and said this is great.

http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

thought he said use the 16lb foam, but i can't remember for sure. </div></div>

I have experience using that exact product for racing. Filling the hollow cavities of unibody cars increases the rigidity. Those 2k urethane foams expand and there are a lot of variables involved with the expansion; it is not an exact science. The expansion depends on temp, humidity, properly mixing, exact 1:1 ratio, etc. They can be difficult to use because you have about 20 seconds to get the batch mixed and another 20 seconds to pour it before the foam begins expanding. You need to pour in small stages because working with more than 1 cup (1/2cup of each component) is difficult to mix and pour in under 40 seconds.

I am interested in building my own stock after seeing a recent post on here of a Rem 700 build that was a tack driver. My idea is to model the stock in SolidWorks. I can then take section cuts of the stock at a given interval, cut the drawings out, and use them to shape a foam block (mold). Then I can lay down my fg/cf and foam in layers. I can use layers of cf inside the foam to make the stock more rigid, rather than having the entire inside being foam, or cutting it in half later on to insert an aluminum or cf shank. I'm still debating how to bed the action. The best idea seems to be an accustock-like aluminum skeleton which can be bonded to the stock. My concern is how to inlet the stock for the action, as I do not have a mill.

yani,

I think your on the right path for sure! I wish I had solid works and/or knew how to use it.

I think your stock with foam and carbon weaved is a good idea ive seen it work before but be careful because the resin can add up pretty fast with the carbon layers.

As for the skeleton I cant decide if I want to go this way or not. I feel like it would be worth just doing it that way but i may go a different route. With inletting the stock for the action i think its just measure and hand cut. You can get pretty close if you take your time. Although maybe not as precise as a mill but it will work.

That is unless you build the foam mold around the action itself and then take off the action to lay your carbon fiber outside. This would work I would say. May be more work than needed though.

Coldboremiracle here on the hide made a wood and glass stock with an aluminum bedding block. He has a good write up on it if you search his user name he has a link to it for his signature.

OK Coming back to me, best place to get fiberglass:

http://www.fiberlay.com/

The foam I am referring to is Divinycell
I found it!!
Aircraftspruce - I've done business with these guys- awesome guys to work with - aircraft parts, this is where I bought the foam for my tub racer...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/divinycellfoam.php

Or MAYBE this type:

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/bo...-cell-foam.html

Now strength - I flew off of about a 12 foot wave, caught about 6 feet of air and landed here (I was showing off for the helicopter photographer) - Divinycell is good stuff!

Shape it, matt/glass it, sand it, re-glass with the finer stuff..

8 hp tricked out, was faster than a stock 15hp tho...

bigwaveorwhat.jpg

Arcticlight,

Thanks so much for all the links! That should come in very handy!

Not to throw this thread off topic but im assuming you ported it, changed the reeds, propped it and changed the carbs? Did you also run a different muffler on it? My other hobby is boats and tiller outboard engines.

Yep, Boysen Reeds, added the 15' tuner pipe- the 8 horse doesn't have one at all, pitched the proper to 9.5 and cut it down from 9.25 to 9.

Ported the intake and exhaust, no polishing tho - bad thing to do on outboards...just cleaned up the castings...

Was a fine engine, wish I had kept it, needed the money at the time and it was taking space...

It wouldn't hold it's own on the modified suzuki's but on the stock or SLIGHTLY modded Zukes it held it's own.

The 8 hp Suzuki's you can mil the head down almost 55 tho - no head on a Merc so it's either a new crank or new rods...

Oh yeah 1994 props - larger exhaust ports
smile.gif

I'd be careful if that is the final contour. The deeply "V'eed" hand grip is an invitation for a fracture. Either REALLY reinforce it with a lot of carbon fiber, or bend some steel (stainless or plain...I'd think some 3/8" stainless all-thread) to reinforce that severe bend. I'd hate to build that thing and have it break across that lower bend. JMHO

Well guys I got in contact with a board company around my parts that has exactly what I needed! I should be able to make it up there sometime soon once school settles down and grab it from him. Brand new 6 foot blank surf board! Going to be a good build

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scimitar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a few pics of plywood core with fiberglass wrap. Wound up being less than 3 lbs.</div></div>

Did you form the plywood core by hand, use a mill or ...?

Right where the heel of your hand would be...down at the very bottom. The rest of the grip and the butt stock are thicker...that very bottom is where all the stress will be...especially if you fall on the rifle or roll over on it.

scimitar,

That rifle looks great! Less than three pounds wow that came out really nice. What was the total of your whole rifle with scope and all?

What weight fiberglass did you go with as well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fish2keel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone got any recommendations for the grip since there is some concern regarding strength? </div></div>
Follow a proven design, something with more material in between the grip and buttstock.

Like I said...if you want that deep of a valley at that point...put some steel reinforcement up and down the valley. A U shaped piece of 3/8" allthread will keep it from breaking at that point and wouldn't add but a few ounces. It will still flex. That may or may not be a liability. Might influence the repeatable accuracy. Probably won't break. Why do you think they manufacture thumbhole stocks? For strength top and bottom. Look at mnshortdraws pic...see how it is reinforced at top and bottom? Would they do that if a little bitty hinge would work at the bottom? Under engineering a pistol grip will cause the rifle to break in half. Doing it right might add a few ounces, but a lot of security. Since you are going to so much trouble...make the "U" into an "O" and have a hugemongeous thumbhole cutout...with steel surrounding the "O" inside the cutout. JMHO

I think I used 12 oz cloth. I made a copy of a T4 on a wood duplicator and cut it undersize. The whole rifle is still heavy.
GAP 700 action with a #7 taper. Lot lighter than when it was in an AICS though. i put green dye in the last layer of fiberglass
resin. Figured if the paint was scratched off it would have a
a little green under it.

The CNC cut mold or at least core is how lots of part are made in the racing world and I expect would work well for this. I use SolidWorks to model just about everything before I do it; but you can do the same thing by hand. The same foam material mentioned can be shaped easy with common body work tools. IMO it is formed to easy for something like this and I use Balsa instead. In the past I have used a factory take off or other low cost composite stock as my core and built it up from there. Also, carbon fiber, fiberglass, or even alloy tubing can be used inside to add strength to the "weak" areas in question. The HS style stock and others that use an aluminum inner core often have a hollow section of tubing through the stress prone wrist area.

thanks guys for all the help!

Balsa was the first thing I was going to use for the core but with the concern ive read from the recoil I didn't want to risk any structural problems so I decided to go with foam and carbon fiber all over.

I would love a cnc machine but they are a little expensive for me at the moment although that is a dream....maybe some day

So guys I have some good news! Tomorrow im going to a local surf board shaper at some blanks they say they have....if they dont have what im looking for a surf board shaper up the beach from my has said he has some in the dimensions im wanting....so will either get the foam tomorrow or this weekend either way the stock is getting started within a week!

Im going to do a fiberglass one possible and a carbon fiber second and let everyone know how it goes with pictures and write up...watch closely cause were going to get this party started!

Also the design as been altered a little but not much just in the pistol grip to make it slightly more rigid

This sounds very interesting and I would hope to see lots of pics and progress reports. I tried making a stock here a few years back out of cherry wood ( just for a .22) and ended up running 3 of my fingers through a table saw. I haven't made any more since. shoot I haven't even finished that one.

but I too would like to try and build one if you don't mind me useing some of your guys ideas. (assuming you would not post them if you were not willing to share)