• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing making your own stock

Re: making your own stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I built a couple out of wood aluminum, and fiberglass. They turned out pretty good. Check the build thread in my signature, you might like em, or atleast get some ideas. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">coldbore </span>..., can I ask, did that aluminum bedding channel start out a solid piece of aluminum or tube or ...?

I have some ideas coming up with bedding also that you guys might like! Im going to get the parts and go from there though before I say to much and don't know if its works!

Glad everyone has interest...i called 8 shapers today and am working on getting a blank cut...surprisingly its alot harder to find than you would think.

cfish36, wow sorry to hear about your fingers! I had running a saw or anything for that reason. To bad you didn't finish that stock!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, it started out as a 1.5 I'd aluminum tube, I cut exactly in half then had the 700 footprint milled into it. </div></div>

Thanks!

Got a question for you guys! Im having a few shapers be concerned about esp foam and there saying I need a foam called either corecell or dyvinecell. These are both marine closed cell foam and im not sure its really needed since im not dropping my rifle in the drink...or atleast hope not.

Anyone think any different or the same?

He is giving me a test sample though of esp and im going to work with it!

Also a few new designs are coming up and am going to be making small models to try it out before i go full scale! Ill keep yall updated!

mini rifle by fish2keel, on Flickr

mini rifle 2 by fish2keel, on Flickr

Hey guys I did this just trying to figure out the design it was a quick cut. I did this in about 10 minutes just playing around. I think the design will work but the grip will need extra support.

This is not the foam I will be using. I just thought I would make a small model to see if I liked the design. The forearm is not sloped it just looks that way.

I bought my savage 110 in 1995. I hated the tupperware stock and not having the money for a McMillan, quickly started in on my own. I first made a quick wood prototype, shaped out of a couple 2x4s screwed together, with no inletting. I then made a plaster mold of it, and then made a casting out of fiberglass resin, with reinforcing fibers mixed in the resin. I'm not saying it was the best way to go, but I still use the same stock and 110 today. I did add layers of fiberlass mat on it after I made the mold, for added strength. It is a heavy bastard, but does the job admirably.
FinishedSavage1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fish2keel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

mini rifle 2 by fish2keel, on Flickr

</div></div>

What is this, a stock for ANTS?

mkmckinley, Actually the army ants have decided to use it lol

No i just decided to see how I liked a design I had in my head. I have decided to change a few things in the full size things.

Mattja99, How did you go about making inletting your stock? Great stock! Why do you say it wasn't the best way to go,j ust the weight?

fish2keel,
The only reason I said it may not be the best way to go is because of the weight, very heavy. Cast fiberglass resin isn't the strongest either, needs reinforcement. I don't own any fancy equipment, I used a router to cut the channel for the barrell, a drill, files and dremel to cut the action inletting out. I then bedded it (molding the action). Pretty low tech but it works.

This is how I would proceed. Make a slightly smaller plug from foam. Lay up your mold over the foam. Using the disappearing foam method dissolve the foam plug. You will be left with a slightly smaller mold. Then make a rigid fiberglass shape roughly smaller than your desired shape using these products and perhaps some additional fiberglass chopped strand for extra rigidity.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/209-extra-slow-hardener
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/105-epoxy-resin/
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/404-high-density-filler/
After it cures and sets up solid. Wrap the shape with carbon creating your desired outside dimensions. Of course it should be a solid structure, but, I have no idea how well it would work.

Guys its been a while since I've posted but I have been watching the thread!

I have a few things coming my way and have an expert gun smith helping me at the moment with this build and also some other projects I've got going!

I have two rifle stocks going into being built in the coming weeks but at the moment Im in the process of putting together a cnc machine so my time is in that but as soon as it gets done these stocks will be cut and shaped and ready to be built!