• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mammoth Challenge 2021

Taube94

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2020
Me and a friend are planning on competing in 2021. What are you guys doing to prepare ? What boots are you wearing

Lightweight everything. I went with Moab 2 boots and didn't regret them at all. Stay away from gortex and waterproof shoes. They hold in moisture and odds are you'll get wet regardless.

I wore running shoes and will continue to do so. I'm more comfortable in them, than in hiking boots. My 2 cents would be to focus on something with high breath ability vs being water proof. Training wise: ruck. I'm a runner and was glad I spent time with weight on my back because it is very different. Work up to a weight heavier than you plan to be going out with. I was training with 75 lbs, and my loadout was ~58-60 lbs

Reactions: gpkon66
I wore running shoes and will continue to do so. I'm more comfortable in them, than in hiking boots. My 2 cents would be to focus on something with high breath ability vs being water proof. Training wise: ruck. I'm a runner and was glad I spent time with weight on my back because it is very different. Work up to a weight heavier than you plan to be going out with. I was training with 75 lbs, and my loadout was ~58-60 lbs
I was planning on training like you said. Another question I had is on the website it says invited only. How do you get the invite?

My current set up, still need to add a few weights, i really need to cutback but im not sure where else to do it at. I do recommend putting all ur weights out and jot it down. Makes it all easier to keep track of.

I ran Garmont T8 NFS boots last Mammoth. The wear and breathe like running shoes. Great ankle support. Love those boots.
My team mate wore Gortex. They destroyed his feet day one, but he's a stud and pushed all the way through.

I’ll probably be revising my ankle support for this next year. I wore Salomon low trail running shoes and will probably try out some mids. They had us ruck the slope on the sides of the road and I could feel my ankles getting sore on the 3+ ones just from putting pressure on one side, don’t know if mids would help in that situation or not

For me, it was a really easy transition. But I have heard a few people complaining about it. I certainly wouldn’t buy a brand new pair and bring it to a match like Mammoth for the first time, but I would say that about any shoe. I wouldn’t bring any shoes I don’t have at least about 20 miles on.

Reactions: j-moose32
Thank you! No need for mid tops for ankle support?
I have several pairs I wear for training. And I have bad ankles. But in competition I like the reduced weight, and more importantly - the extra breathing that low-tops can do. If you're even a small bit prone to blisters - you want the more breathable footwear you can manage. If you have iron feet - and you never ever get blisters then: (1) Fuck you. :) and (2) You probably can wear a less breathable shoe.

Reactions: tyrider427