• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Man...this is the pits!! Really...down in the pits

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Myself and a fellow Hide member volunteered to work the first relay at the last 1000 yard match. I had my camcorder in the truck so I set it up for the last set of targets and ended up catching the winning group and target of the day.

As normal...the shooters in the first relay had calm, no wind conditions. By the 2nd relay the wind started picking up, but it was pretty steady from the left. By the 3rd relay (the one I drew to shoot in of coarse) the wind really started blowing and the last targets the wind was being "switchy". I managed to place 4th losing out of 3rd by one X. I had 135 1X and the gent that placed 3rd had a 135 2X. Lots of good shooters there.

Here is a little video of life in the pits:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tKm1ij99RkA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tKm1ij99RkA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Man...this is the pits!! Really...down in the pits

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> By the 3rd relay (the one I drew to shoot in of coarse) the wind really started blowing and the last targets the wind was being "switchy". </div></div>

Dont feel like the Lone Ranger, I have been there many times, it's the luck of the draw.
grin.gif

Without fail, I always ending up shooting in the windiest conditions! If the wind dies - I shot first. If it's calm but building, I shoot last!

Oh well, teaches you to cope.

Cool video. Thanks for posting

I've shot 1000 yards on good days and bad.

One time I was shooting a service rifle match (29 Palms) with my M1A. To get on target I had to aim the next target over. The wind was so bad many people were quiting. The range officer asked us to tell him when were were done or quit so they could take the targets out of the frames to keep them from being torn up.

Any way, they pulled my (aiming target). I sniviled and the scorer told me mine was up, the guy next door quit so they pulled his target. Dern, I was on too, lost a lot of points on that one.

Another time, shooting 600 yards at Ft Richardson in a heavy wet snow storm. The snow was sticking to the target so you couldnt see the bull. Couldn't use a frame hold either as there was white all around the target. You hit the target anywhere and the snow would fall off the target so the score could find your miss but it was covered again before you could get the next shot off.

At Lander (Lander Valley Sportsman's Club) on the NM course the start out at 600 so you don't get as much wind. They start early on 1000 yard matches and don't have that many shooters so we sometimes could beat the Wyoming wind.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you. Its all part of the game.

Re: Man...this is the pits!! Really...down in the

29 palms. 1992. Tgt 10, holding on tgt 12 w/17 minutes of windage. I shot in the low 60's.

Wind was ripping tgts out of the carriages.

NM M14 with 168s.

Never thought being humiliated could be so much fun!

Gotta love that chithole.
smile.gif

Bailey CO. 8000ft elevation. Firing points are 60-70 ft high berms. With 15mph 6-12 wind it'll string ya from the top to the bottom of the 9 ring. Trace is like a roller coaster.

Hysterical. Carry a Glock on those days so you can suck start it after the 600.
smile.gif

Highpower rocks don't it!?