• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Manfrotto tripod questions

Every tripod is designed to carry "X" amount of weight so you may get a more precise answer if you let others know what you are planning to do with it.

The set up I have been using is the 055XPROB (aluminum) tripod and the 054 magnesium ball head. This is used with both the HOG, PIG saddle and a spotting scope. Pretty much rock solid platform to shoot from.

Hope this helps.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

Another 055XPROB user here. I think it was Mike, the moderator, that posted a pic of his setup using this tripod and sold me on it instantly.

+1 for the 055 XPRO and 054 Ball Head. My tripod is the carbon fibre model and use it with a Hog Saddle, spotter and LRF. For use use with a spotter and LRF the grip ball head is the way to go. Had Short Bus paint mine and he did an excellent job.

I am shooting a DTA SRS with a USO SN-3 Tpal scope in 308/338NM. Not sure on total weight but wanna shoot off of it some and use it for spotter and range finder.

Many argue that a tripod should support 1.5 to 2 times the weight of what you intend on putting on it. As your rifle and scope combo come in at around 14 pounds, you may want a stronger platform than a 055XPRO that is rated for about 15 pounds. While it might work, it may be a little unstable for what you need it for. While it can do the spotter and rangefinder, the rifle would be a concern. There are some 55's that will hold almost 20 pounds so you need to make sure you are looking at the right ones

Last edited:
Good info given by Hairball, check the weight rating prior to buying. Remember it is just not the weight of your rifle, but the mount and the HOG/PIG saddle too.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

I have a 190cxpro4. It is 3.6 lbs, stowed length 20.6", 15.4lb load capacity, max height 63" min height 3.2".
I chose this one as a result of several specs. It's weight, stowed height, load capacity. I haven't decided on the head unit yet.
While this one isn't the cheapest it filled the bill for my wants/needs.
I would also add they will probably hold more weight than advertised at less than full extension of the legs.

R

I have a 190xprob with the rc22 ball head and a PRS saddle. Even though you never PM me dirty offers anymore, you can borrow it if you'd like to see if it works for you.

Manfrotto 055Pro with 488, 410 Jr and 322. The 410 is the geared head and it's the cat's ass for use with the spotter and LRF. The 322 or 488 work well with a saddle.

Reactions: Jjg5647
Another 055 XPRO (Aluminum) and 054 Ball Head user here. Use if for my rifle which is about 18 pounds with suppressor and night vision attached and no issue. Easy to switch between Spotter and Hog Saddle to boot. If you get the 054 Ball head make sure to get the Q2 quick attach, I just upgraded mine last month and wish I had done it originally. Makes switching between items very fast provided each item has the mounting plate already attached.

Any of the tripods listed with the 327RC2 ball head with a grip to make it easier to manipulate. You can reverse the handle for either side of your preference. I use that head with this 055CXPRO3 tripod and a pig saddle and it supports a 17lb rifle with ease.

L

edt: The ability to grab that handle and instantly/easily move the head around with the rifle/spotter/etc. attached is very convenient and handy at times.

pig_zpsca4696f1.jpg

Last edited:
All good choices. If you go with one of the above platforms you can purchase extra 200PL Quick Release Plates, which you can add to a spotting scope or anything else to make for an easy switch.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

I've owned an aluminum 190xprob, 055 aluminum, 190cxprob3 Carbon, and 190cxprob4 Carbon tripods. The best if being carried around is the Carbon Fiber 190Cxprob 3 section tripod with RC322 grip ball head.

The aluminum tripods are noisier and do not absorb as much vibration as the Carbon tripods. Also the Carbon versions save weight and have magnesium hinges and such. The 4 section tripods although pack away 2" shorter but have more flex due to a thinner leg section.

In the end I sold the rest and kept the 190cxprob 3 section and RC322 grip ball head.

Last edited:
I like how strong and beefy the 057 3 section is but it's def to tall even at the lowest setting. It is def a nice tripod though would hold up to anything you throw at it.

I run a 19+ pound rifle in a hog saddle on my carbon 190. You will not be left feeling the need for more stability.

190s are only rated to 12lbs I believe but you can adjust the legs to give you plenty of stability in most cases. You'd have to go to the carbon 550s and up to get a 17-18lb rating. All the aluminum's rate lower than the comparable carbon models by a pound or so.

L

Last edited:
The weight rating is to determine the maximum weight a tripod can hold without causing distortion at the lenses maximum magnification. In truth the 190 can hold in excess of 55 pounds without failing.

I suggest you guys read this

Choosing a Tripod: Part I - Understanding Load Ratings

What you are looking for is a stable tripod that helps dampen any vibrations, especially if you are shooting from it. Also the 055 may not be AS stable over the 190 as most think. There were some tests done and a reputable camera forum found the aluminum 055 was only as stable as a 190 carbon tripod.

Google it, there is tons of info out there. What photographers see as blurriness in long exposure pictures we see as movement in the reticle at long distance.

SPF on my 055CXPRO3 W/ 322RC2 to upgrade to a 057 Carbon Fiber 4 Section Geared Tripod with a 405 Pro Digital Geared Head since its for precision when using a Spotting Scope or LRF. I've used my Hensoldt Spotter 45 with the 322RC2 and had to play with it quite a bit to get a precise position on my steel targets. I do some photography so my new setup should benefit me that much more.

Apologies to the OP for the brief hijack, but I started a thread on an "issue" I'm having my 055XPROB and didn't get any responses, so I'd like to take advantage of all these fellow Manny owners in one place:

The mounting plate on my center column has come "loose" and will pull free of the center column. It works on an expansion/cam system whereby as the threaded bolt is tightened (reverse thread) it expands the mechanism inside the center column and holds in place by friction. I have (carefully) tightened it down as much as I can but when you tighten down a tripod head (standard thread) it can loosen the bolt that holds the mounting plate. If one of my rifles takes a tumble because the plate pulls out, it will probably survive. If my Canon DSLR with Lens hits the pavement then I'm screwed. Attached are a couple of pics to see if anyone has any suggestions. So far nothing back from Manfrotto on the question:

IMG_0648[1].JPGIMG_0649[1].JPG

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet so I will state the obvious. If the ball head you use is rated for a lower weight then it doesn't matter if your tripod is rated for 100 lbs, your weight limit/expectation will be dictated by the capacity of your head. If you don't use a ball head and mount say a HOG/PIG saddle directly to the tripod then your tripod weight limit is what its rated for. With that said, I have found that the weight ratings tend to be conservative and in reality they actually handle a good deal more. The RC322 head is used quiet often in this sport and we see gun weights that are at and or exceed the mfgr listed weight rating.

I will also throw in that the vibration issues mentioned in photography forums is valid....if you are taking pictures. The vibrations and vibration dampening qualities mentioned in photo forums when it comes to tripods is specific to having to deal with long exposures and shutter movement. Those vibrations are seen as huge issues in photography as they affect the picture. In shooting, similar vibrations are typically so minute that its imperceptible or not big enough to affect what we are doing prior to squeezing the trigger. Anything seen in the scope that causes the reticle to move prior to firing is being caused by the shooter ( or strong wind), which is directly related to movement, not vibrations as used in the photographers sense. Of course there is a great deal of movement and or vibrations once the gun fires but thats to be expected but there is no avoiding that. With regards to carbon being a better choice than aluminum for dampening vibrations, again it is good for photography but the reality of it is for shooters, its a weight reduction where the benefit is seen. In either case, if you are buying/using a quality tripod, like the models mentioned here, you will be good to go.

Last edited:
Every Marine SS team is issued a Hog saddle and Monfrotto 055 tripod. Something tells me some GSA supplier has these available.

I use this same set up for p dogs. Using a 16 lbs rifle

Any of the tripods listed with the 327RC2 ball head with a grip to make it easier to manipulate. You can reverse the handle for either side of your preference. I use that head with this 055CXPRO3 tripod and a pig saddle and it supports a 17lb rifle with ease.

L

edt: The ability to grab that handle and instantly/easily move the head around with the rifle/spotter/etc. attached is very convenient and handy at times.

pig_zpsca4696f1.jpg

Are they on GSA schedule anywhere?

Actually they are on GSA Advantage. I just happen to know this because I just had the supply guy order 10ea sets. Depending on your needs, there is a basic manfrotto tripod with RC322 and there is a bigger kit that also includes a few rail systems to go on the Mark 4 spotter. Just go to GSA and type in Manfrotto tripod and you'll see what I'm talking about.

As stated above you do not want to max out the load on the tripod.

there is a lot of people here using the manfroto combo with that being said it works and it works well.

I would imagine you have a multi thousand dollar rifle and scope like most of us here.

I would really think about using a heaver duty tripod/head for an 15lbs rifle.
one that hold 25LBS or more. its just good insurance.

there are some very nice tripods out there but they will be considerably more money.

don't be the guy that puts a 5000.00 dollar set of wheels on a 1000 dollar car.

here are a few brands that are GTG
Systematic Tripods - Tripods | Gitzo
Carbon Fiber Tripods

Beware of tripods with “twist lock” adjustable legs. Rifle recoil will slowly rattle the lock rings loose and your tripod will collapse. This always seems to happen at the worst time while in a hide, before taking a shot or surveillance photo. I have extensive experience overseas with Gitzo tripods that lock this way and will never use them again.

Two reasons I recommend the use of XPROB series tripods from Manfrotto is because the legs adjust and lock using a cam lever (the cam levers don’t rattle loose under recoil), and the tripod’s center column can freely rotate and lock in place if needed (this is handy if you mount a rifle rest directly to the tripod without a ball-head).

I posted earlier about how I'd managed to screw up my 055 and in the absence of anyone else ever having had the same problem, I took it to the Rapid Prototyping guys on our camp, who are literally geniuses in engineering and designing battlefield solutions to problems. They got me fixed up, but the big bonus came when they handed me a complete 190 that they'd dug out of the salvage yard. It was in the trash on the way to be shredded and figured I may be able to use it.

SO, not only did I get my 055 fixed (for free) but I also ended up with a free 190. If I can help anyone out with a direct side-by-side on anything let me know.
I can tell you that playing with both of them, the 190 is the one I'm carrying with me, period. For shooting partially extended, say from a kneeling, I don't see a reason to tote the 055. If I were going to be shooting primarily standing, or leaving a heavy rifle clamped into it at a standing height for long periods, it would probably be worthwhile to hump the 055.

I will add though, that the twist-lock on the 190 legs are a step-down from the lever-locks on the 055. In terms speed of deployment and stowage, and ease of use, the lever locks are the winner.

Last edited:
As a FYI point, Bogen is another brand name for Manfrotto and you can find both on ebay for really good prices and in good condition if you hunt for them. The earlier model numbers for the 190 and 055 lines can be found under both brand names for typically 1/2 to 3/4 the price you see sold here or from gun stores. They are identical in every way as far as I can tell, they simply changed the model numbers to what every one now knows as 190 and 055 lines.

Here is a really good article that compares all the current lines and provides some history on the companies.

Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod review, 055XPROB vs 055CXPRO3 vs 190CXPRO3 vs 190XPROB | Cameralabs