• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Manfrotto tripod

Emilio

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2006
Burbank, CA
I would like to buy a Manfrotto tripod with a pistol grip for my US Optics spotting scope. The only thing is that there are so many that I don't know where to start. Can some one suggest a model? Thanks.

Emilio

Re: Manfrotto tripod

We use them for shooting support. I use the 55 with the vertical pistol grip. My partner has the same, though he wants the horizontal pistol grip for a shorter profile.

I have the 055XPROB and I love it. It has the horizontal center column that rotates out which you may or may not want/need. The only real differences between the 190 and the 55 are the weight they'll support. The 190 will hold around 11lbs (don't forget to add the weight of whatever the head you decide to install on the tripod when calculating how big a tripod you need) while the 55 will support around 15.5lbs.

As for the grip tripod head...take a look at the Bogen/Manfrotto 322RC2 head.

Had a 55 it was too big IMO for packing around but it was great for just setting up at the range which was not what I wanted it for.

I would opt for the 190 and get the version with the convertable center colum vice using the low angle adapters.

190 with horizontal pistol grip.
Perfect for standing or high obstical clearance.

I don't know if anyone here sells them but I have the 190 pro bought it from B&H photo warehouse great service good prices. Their sales people are photographers mostly but know their stuff. I love my 190 pro use it for my camera and spotting scope. The carbon is nice to carry but I a friend that has one hates it because it is to light. He has to carry weights to reduce wind movement. Kind of defeats the purpose and saves over 100.00 bucks. BTW not selling the 190 I would love to have it or the 55 but the pro has the horizontal/vertical center post that works great for a camera never used it for my spotter.
JMHO
Rad

190 pro, with a 322rc2 head. Gets low or for standing, head is horizontal or vertical.

I use a 190, with a 222 head, and a 200 USS quick-detach mount.

I have the 055XPROB and though it is heavy you will appreciate it on a windy day. I have no regrets and handles my Nikon Field scope without a problem. I also opted for the Ball head because it was better built and stronger than the pistol grip. Makes it real easy to manuever the scope around. I recommend you go to a camera exchange place and have the sales personnel demonstrate it to you. My guys here were awesome. The whole setup will go close to $400.

can sum one post a pic of the 55 cause i cant seem to find one

Can't go wrong with a 055 or 190 . You only need the PRO version if you want to have the ability to swing the vertical column to horizontal. I personally use this for photography but don't find it necessary for a spotter

You may want to try the pistol grip ball with a spotting scope before you buy it. I personally don't like it. I much prefer using a geared head. This way you can pan and tilt with much greater control. This is the cats ass if you want to pan across a row of target stands downrange. This is very handy when you have the magnification cranked up. You can quick release any axis INDEPENDENT of the others, so you are not frantically turning the knobs. The knobs are for fine tune. The only time I use a pistol grip ball is for a camera with a light lense. Once you go geared head its tough to use anything else

ZeissSpotter.jpg

190xv b and h 154 just got one sturdy you can also buy the retractable spiked feet for around 40 great option

I'll add this - make sure you get something that will go high enough for you, if you're planning on using it standing a lot.

The 190 tripod maxes out at 57.5" . Using it with a 322rc2 head, combined with the straight style eyepiece on the USO, it's ends up being just a couple inches short of being comfortable for a 6'+ person, when standing.

Going to either a 055 series tripod or a 3265 verticle style head would resolve the issue for me. With an angled eyepiece scope, the 190 series with the 322rc2 head is perfectly fine.