• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners, AI, Or MPA?

Widowmaker300

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2018
Jackson center Ohio
I’ve narrowed down to manners t4a, accuracy international or MPA for my PRS rig. It’ll be a surgeon action riding in whatever I choose. Is either really a standout winner? I’ve had a ai mk i and the stocky was excellent only downfall was weight. The other two I have no experience with.

PRS rigs have gotten heavier. My AIAT chassied Impact weighed 18.5 pounds. My current rig weighs almost 21 pounds, which is a common weight these days FWIW.

MPA gives you the most options out of the ones you listed - adjustability, weights, etc. I guess the question is do you need or want this? Personally, I cannot shoot a traditional stock as well as a chassis. Depending on where you live, i'd try to get behind one of each at a club match or something.

I've switched over to the MDT ACC this year and love it. It can do everything the MPA can do, and then some.

I've had several different traditional stocks, and several different chassis systems. I now have an AI AT, and finally landed on what I will be keeping long term. With that being said, the draw with the AI AT is the complete system..... not just the chassis. If barreled action, trigger, etc. were all independent decisions I think there are other chassis designs that are likely a little more comfortable, adjustable, and able to be customized to your specific needs. This may be a different story with the newer AX chassis, I don't know.

If you're into a Manners type stock, it can be made to do just about anything an MPA can do. The question is, how much additional work and money is it going to take?

That's my opinion, at least.

A lot of it is personal preference. If you can, try getting behind some different setups at a match and see what you like. I run PDC Custom chassis, and I have stuck with them due to how comfortable I can get behind them - something that hasn't always worked out on other setups. I have yet to find a traditional-style stock I can get 100% comfortable behind. The MPA and other chassis systems are better, but still not quite as good as the PDC - at least for me.

I notice the MPA has a built in Arca rail in to the chassis, as go where to get one for the manners is about 200$ and the AI is in the same boat.

Get behind the stocks your considering and see how they feel. Club match’s are a good way of doing this because you’ll usually see everything under the son and guys are always willing to let you try them. Everyone is different and being comfortable behind the rifle if huge.

I put my Surgeon 300 WM in a Manners stock. Works for me!

Gar

If you know you like AI I’d keep that as a fallback. If you’re up to it and not able to try out a traditional stock give a KRG Bravo a shot. They’re inexpensive in the grand scheme of things and easier to sell second hand. If you dig it run it while your Manners is on order. I’d give a look to the Foundations if you like the look. While features can be important they mean nothing if you don’t like shooting from it.

Reactions: Widowmaker300
A couple years ago I switched from Manners to MPA and I liked it but never loved it. Shot just as well with either and liked the adjustability of it. My most recent build I went back to a T4A just because of the feel of it. Can't go wrong either way.

Ordered a mpa to try first. Two reason, price and a proven gunsmith wait to get a t4a bedded would yield another 4 week wait or longer probably. . I use the krg X-ray on my other two bolt guns.

Ordered a mpa to try first. Two reason, price and a proven gunsmith wait to get a t4a bedded would yield another 4 week wait or longer probably. . I use the krg X-ray on my other two bolt guns.
That’s what is great about chassis is the lesser time spent waiting.

Really subjective. All depends on what fits your body and shooting style best, and what features you are looking for.

For me, its the JAE chassis. But that's not one of your options. Best way to figure it out is to shoot rifles in the 3 chassis' you are considering, even better if you can do so from multiple different positions.

Better than having someone else tell you on the internet what is best for you.

Reactions: Widowmaker300
As others have noted, get behind rifles with these options if at all possible. I played the "buy and sell" game for awhile and it got expensive. Fun, but expensive. But your chosen stock/chassis needs to fit you, so nobody else can tell you what you'll like or what will fit you best.

For me, I found that I prefer the feel of a traditional stock far and away better than most other chassis systems. The McMillan A5 and the Manners T4A/PRS1 were my favorite of the bunch. After that, the JAE was absolutely amazing, since it's basically a chassis that feels almost exactly like a stock. They do cost a pretty penny unless you can find a used one to your liking, but WELL worth checking out. From there, I really liked the KRG Whiskey 3 (or the X-Ray and Bravo if you're trying to save some coin). Then the XLR Element/Envy.

What did I end up with? An AIAT, haha. The AI chassis grew on me quite a bit, and was a lot better once I went back to thumbhole skins with the target adjustable butt pad. But even so, it doesn't feel as natural to me as an A5/PRS1. That having been said, it does still work very well once I got it adjusted to me, and I'll admit that I've become an AI fanboi. I have several rifles (slowly whittling them down to what I actually use and will keep), but the AI is the ONE rifle I'll never sell. A bit heavy for a hunting rig, but a lighter optic and a PROOF Carbon barrel go a long ways to help out there. I just can't see myself ever selling it unless I get into a pickle and can't put food on the table.

But there are days where I really miss the Manners PRS1 and McM A5. They just fell so amazing!

Next time you're at a match, ask around. Almost everyone at my local matches would be willing to at least let me get behind their rifle, and most would let me put a few rounds through their rifles if I paid for the ammo!

have an MPA, Manners PRS1, and a JAE coming tomorrow. all different purpose for different rifles (all PRS type rifles)

i would never consider an AI chassis. AXMC/ASR only

I got to get behind and shoot a rifle in a JAE chassis.
I found it very comfortable.
To say I was impressed would be a understatement.

Manners are always pretty comfy.

PRS rigs have gotten heavier. My AIAT chassied Impact weighed 18.5 pounds. My current rig weighs almost 21 pounds, which is a common weight these days FWIW.

MPA gives you the most options out of the ones you listed - adjustability, weights, etc. I guess the question is do you need or want this? Personally, I cannot shoot a traditional stock as well as a chassis. Depending on where you live, i'd try to get behind one of each at a club match or something.

I've switched over to the MDT ACC this year and love it. It can do everything the MPA can do, and then some.

Freak yes they have, my AIAX and AIAT are 29lbs, it helps a ton!