• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners cerakote removal

JonKleman

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 4, 2021
Ohio
I purchased a manners prs1 second hand, the cerakote itself looks good, it just has some chips and cracks in a few different places throughout. Is there any advice how to remove the cerakote? Or is it not worth the hassle and I should just cerakote over it a more appropriate color as where I live is Green 95% of the time? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1196.jpg
    IMG_1196.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1195.jpg
    IMG_1195.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
Removing cerakote from metal is not too big of a deal. Aircraft remover and some elbow grease. But, if you are planning a differnt color, it's really much easier to degrease, scuff and refinish.

Removing a powder coat finish from fiberglass (carbon fiber uses the same epoxy base) is a real delicate operation. As stated, you can blast it but you had better be skilled and be paying attention. Aircraft remover is highly likely to attack the epoxies used in the fiberglass so definitely not the way to go. Again, if you are planning to refinish with anything...krylon, cerakote duracoat, etc...just degrease thoroughly, scuff some to promote adhesion of the new finish and apply your new finish.

Reactions: JonKleman
Removing cerakote from metal is not too big of a deal. Aircraft remover and some elbow grease. But, if you are planning a differnt color, it's really much easier to degrease, scuff and refinish.

Removing a powder coat finish from fiberglass (carbon fiber uses the same epoxy base) is a real delicate operation. As stated, you can blast it but you had better be skilled and be paying attention. Aircraft remover is highly likely to attack the epoxies used in the fiberglass so definitely not the way to go. Again, if you are planning to refinish with anything...krylon, cerakote duracoat, etc...just degrease thoroughly, scuff some to promote adhesion of the new finish and apply your new finish.
That’s kind of the feeling I had, just wanted to hear from people with more experience than myself

Unless the Cerakote is compromised due to poor surface prep, all you would need to do is sand the areas with chips to blend back to the surface. Then you and media blast the entire stick with medium pressure to etch the finish. Once etched and degreased and gassed out at a safe temp for your stock material it can be re-Cerakoted completely.

Reactions: JonKleman