• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Manners/McMillan Durability...?

xXlojackXx

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2011
    Washington state
    I'm looking to get either an A3 McMillan or a Manners T4 for my .300 RUM (with a brake), and have asked several gunsmiths/knowledgable individuals, along with my own research. The results I hear from some is that these stocks don't hold up with the recoil or the magnums unless they have a heavy fill (which I'm trying to avoid excess weight). Therefore some people have recommended buying a stock like an HS or B&C because they have the aluminum recoil lug to take the abuse. My question would be, has anyone had a problem with a properly bedded McMillan stock breaking down due to the recoil of a magnum cartridge with a "sporter fill"? Also, how durable are the Manners stocks?

Re: Manners/McMillan Durability...?

i highly reccomend you call tom manners and ask him this question the man is always more then happy to help and point ya in the right direction. i have never heard this before i know a TON of people with mags dropped in both MCM and manners stocks with absolutely no issues. i'm curious who told you this.

There are several videos on YouTube of Tom running over one of his stocks withe his truck. I have owned a couple manners t4 and a few McMillan a5. All were tough as nails.

Manners makes a mini-chassis and you could always have a Widden chassis installed in any of the Manners or McMillan stocks. You could also have it bedding properly. Chad Dixon comes to mind.

As long as its pillar bedded right you will be fine. I have never heard of anyone having problems with magnums and to much recoil for the stock. Manners are pretty dam tough too. As said above give Tom a call.

Kc

Agreed. I called Manners today and they reassured me that it won't be a problem as long as its properly bedded. I ended up ordering a T4 and should be here Friday and off to get it bedded on Monday
    smile.gif

The foam core started to break apart for me in a Manners stock inletted for a SA (.308) Savage with pillars. This happened right at the rear pillar. This was after perhaps 100 rounds. I can understand how this might happen with a Savage action which has its rear action bolt located between the trigger action and the magazine. There just isn't much material there for good stability. I have since bedded the action and repaired the cracks forming in the foam with marine tex. It seems to be holding up just fine.

Now that I bedded the action, the energy of the recoil is properly being taken up by the recoil lug and not by the pillars.

I do not think that this is shoddy workmanship on the part of Manners or anything of the sort. I think that this is a compatibility issue between design of the Savage action and the limited amount of foam that can be used in this area.

Manners has the best customer service I have ever seen next to Disney World! I own both and love to shoot both but Manners is A1 on customer service!

I'll see how the Manners holds up. I dont have any doubts about it, but Manners said as long as its properly bedded into the stock, there wont be any issues with it holding a .300 RUM

If your rifle is bedded properly, standard fill will be just fine even on a 50 cal. Again, check manners website with his truck parked on top of one of his stocks. Mcmillan and Manners stocks will outlast your action if it is bedded properly.