• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manual case trimming with 3 way cutters

JWEM

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2010
Surrey, England
Hi,

I want to get a new case length trimmer and a 3 way cutter so I can trim, debur and chamfer all in one go. I'm looking at the Forster Original Case Trimmer and the RCBS Trim Pro Manual Case Trimmer. At the moment I'm using a Possum Hollow trimmer but I'm not that impressed with it.

Anyone got an opinion of the best option?

I would love to get a Giraud, but its far too expensive and not available in the UK.

Cheers

Re: Manual case trimming with 3 way cutters

I have a manual RCBS trimmer setup with the 3 way cutter. It worked really well for me. I hate having to handle the same piece of brass, over and over to do each job. So the 3 way cutting head saved me some time. Overall, this system worked as well as any other and saved some time and effort.

But I've since moved on to a Giraud and not looking back. I will still keep the RCBS setup as a backup but it does not look like it will get much work from now on.

I'm using the RCBS 3way cutter but I took the hand crank off and chucked up a 1/2" drill on the shaft. When I get in a groove I can trim cases at a good pace.

Cheers for the info.

Would you say the RCBS trimmer is a good unit?

JWEM,

I guess you never thought to inquire with the manufacturer if it was available? There are about 20 units already in the UK. Those customers took the time to ask.

Doug Giraud
Giraud Tool Co., Inc

I use the RCBS three way cutter on the Hornady Prep Center, works for me. The threads are the same, but the stud length is shorter on the RCBS so I use Teflon tape to prevent it from bottoming out.

I have the Forster classic trimmer with the 3 in 1. It works great and definitely cuts down prep time...which I hate. Solid unit and I can get going at a decent clip. I really like the collet style holder for the brass. It has absolutely zero play in the unit when a piece of brass is being cut. I highly recommend it, but a Giraud will be in my future.

Josh

I have the RCBS powered trimmer and the hand crank. I use the 3 way cutters they're sweet. Using the powered trimmer I average 3 shells a minute over an hour. It's a little faster than the hand crank, the advantage is in ease. The hand crank can be 3 a minute but the average was 2 a minute.

I had the RCBS 3 way trimmer. I could not adjust the outside chamfer bit down far enough to make contact with the case mouth. Probably just a fluke but I returned it and told myself that it isn't that difficult using the manual tool.