• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

manufactured pointed bullets

Seandradamus

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2013
Illinois
If manufacturers of fine projectiles are chaseing the optimum bc, then why cant they point the bullets from the get go, i mean apparently they can pick up 10% or better. Seems machinery could be made to do so.

because that would require another machine, maintenance, inspection, control etc etc and the costs get passed on to the consumer which would probably mean a 20-40% increase in bullet cost. why not buy the die and point them to your liking and reap the benefits of quality one on one inspection and control of the product you produced?

3-5% increase in BC is what people generally find with pointing. Somewhat depends on the bullet. Bottom line is that it isn't all that difficult or time-consuming to do it yourself. The cost of a trimmer/pointing die is a one-time expense and MINIMAL compared to what you'd pay over the long haul if bullet companies started doing it for you.

Actually some are, Sierra is a good example, see their 155gr 30s, tipped have a higher BC, than their non-"tipped". The 10% figure is a fantasy. The smaller the caliber, the larger the increase you'll see (via %), for example: a .224 will have a larger percentage increase in the BC, than a 338, it is not a stead fast percentage.

These guys will deliver pointed bullets to you: Precision Ballistics LLC Home

I use their 130gr 6.5mm bullet with great success. Bugholes easily.

I'm in the 3-4% increase camp, after much study. Unless you have a massive meplat on the original bullet, the 10% increases are physically unrealistic.

I'm all for doing it myself and plan on it , it just seemed to me if it was that much better why are manufacturers not getting those tips sharper from the get go.

Actually some are, Sierra is a good example, see their 155gr 30s, tipped have a higher BC, than their non-"tipped". The 10% figure is a fantasy. The smaller the caliber, the larger the increase you'll see (via %), for example: a .224 will have a larger percentage increase in the BC, than a 338, it is not a stead fast percentage.

This was also my understanding.

Until I got zero improvement from the 6mm 105 hybrid.

Sean,

To do it right you do any other sorting or trimming before pointing. Consistent ogive length and bullet meplat shape as well as length will provide better groups than just pointing.

I have some .338 Lapua bullets which are pointed from the factory, but the meplat is still very large. Doing the above and re-pointing helps.

HTH,
DocB