• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manufacture's Question

RedTimber

Jude 1:3
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2021
In the Hollow
Given that almost all the recent range finding binos are OLED overlay displays, and that the majority of them including the SIGs have the ability to true the zero of where the laser points, why are there not OIS versions of these binos? Add 500$ to a pair of the new Sigs and they still come in below NL Pure, so is this just a problem of not having enough space to combine or tech interferes with each other?

Are you saying that you think the displays being used are transparent AMOLEDS that are directly inline with the eyepiece?

Could you also elaborate a little more on what you mean by "ability to true the zero of where the laser points"?

There have been a few OIS binos and while they have their fan base, they have not exactly set the world on fire. They tend to be quite heavy and while you can indeed get higher magnification out of them, the objectives tend to be small (there are some exceptions to that).

With battery powered OIS binos everything gets a little bulky. Keeping the two barrels matched is tricky. If it also has LRF, you also have to stabilize the LRF module. It is all doable, but gets bulky and expensive. On top of that, I have a vague recollection that there are weather proofing issues with IS binos.

The most interesting IS bino I have seen is the huge Zeiss 20x60. If I could afford one, I'd have it. It is a brilliant system that does not use batteries. It is heavy though.

ILya

Reactions: carbonbased
There have been a few OIS binos and while they have their fan base, they have not exactly set the world on fire. They tend to be quite heavy and while you can indeed get higher magnification out of them, the objectives tend to be small (there are some exceptions to that).

With battery powered OIS binos everything gets a little bulky. Keeping the two barrels matched is tricky. If it also has LRF, you also have to stabilize the LRF module. It is all doable, but gets bulky and expensive. On top of that, I have a vague recollection that there are weather proofing issues with IS binos.

The most interesting IS bino I have seen is the huge Zeiss 20x60. If I could afford one, I'd have it. It is a brilliant system that does not use batteries. It is heavy though.

ILya
Wow, I am happy these don’t have an integrated LRF because I would be forced to buy them lol