• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Map Reading Course

Re: Map Reading Course

Hate to bow out this late in the game, but due to current financial concerns, I can't be taking off work. So it looks like I won't be able to attend. Sorry for any inconveniences, will keep an eye out for future courses.

No problem, appears no one else was interrested, Guess the price was too high.

Kraig, if I was closer I would have been all over this. I haven't had a good Orienteering type refresher in a while and my skills are only what I can keep up as I get to do hiking and map work on my own time. Getting to listen to someone else's techniques and ask questions, even if you think you know, is a good learning tool and way to refresh skills...

Definitely top shelf for this kind of class to be offered by you, wish I was within 500 miles, I would have driven up to take it.

Kraig,

I would have loved to have come down for this class, but September is a nightmare as far as schedule goes - in particular the weekend you were looking at. I have been watching this thread, and if you decide to resurrect the idea and I can make the date, I would really like to come down. Unlike many of the other guys - it is not much of a trip for me - more of a scheduling concern/activity.

Casey

I will put on the class at any time (except during elk season) I can get 6 or more people to justify the time.

Again I wont charge for the class. You do have to buy a couple 1:24000 maps ($8 each from the USGS Map store) and have a fairly good compass with a 1:24000 scale or a map protractor with that scale. And a watch (no digital watches).

Optional equipment would be a GPS. You also would need Light camping gear because we'd be in the field the whole time so we could play at night a bit. (You'd be supprised what stars can tell you.

I am still entirely interested in this, hopefully a future date works out. I agree on your price being entirely way too high though...

Man who can afford such steep prices...I would love to take the course. Do you think you might put one on in the spring? Say mid march to early april?

Spring is real "iffy" in Wyoming, you never know if it comes as a lion or lamb.

You can have fair warm days, then the next day you can get dumped on with 1-2 feet of wet snow that shuts down everything.

I hate to plan anything for March & April, but if I get enough people I can try, BUT, one has to be prepared. You can get snowed in or out.

If I can make the time frame work I would be in. Let me know if you get this going again in the spring/summer.

Land Nav washes more guys out of Special Forces assessment an Selection than anything else. It didn't get any easier going through Delta's High Stepper with the infamous 40 milers. The ISA (Activity) land nav course kills guys on a regular basis. Intersection/resection will save your ass time and time again. While your in WY, get you a Brunton compass. Made in Riverton WY. Best piece of kit for taking it to the next level. Military Lensatics with Tritium and click bezels are great for night movements.

I still have a 25 yr old issue pocket transit plus a fairly new tritium AND my own Silva. You can NEVER have too many compasses. Kraig, I'm down in the SE & if I had time & funds I'd take you up on this. Just won't happen and I just got another year closer to the 60 !! Time flies when your just trying to survive !!

Kraig,

Are you still considering doing this next year?

Newcastle really isn't all that far for me to drive. I'm on the western edge of MN.

If I can get enough interested parties who would commit a head of time.

I'll keep a few days of vacation time in reserve. This is something I would like to learn.

Could you recommend some primer material?

I can't commit until a few more people step up and get a date worked out.

Just thought this deserved an update. Any thought of doing this in 2013? I may be interested and could maybe get the other half as well. If anyone is in the Midwest maybe we could get a carpool of sorts going.

Kraig, you are only 21-22 hours away. That's just a hop skip and a jump!