• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March 1-10 Shorty Dual Focal - Reviews?

Thank you very much! I looked at the listed weight and was curious how it could be reliable. I guess the answer is it is not. I tend to use badger mounts anyway, and I think they only weigh an oz more than the March mount.
The Badger mounts are lighter than the March, with Badger reporting 6.2oz for the 34mm/1.70" model. That makes them about 1oz heavier than the Scalarworks. And the Scalarworks is tool-less QD, the Badger is not. The QD aspect really doesn't mean anything to me in the application I use this equipment. But it may matter to some.

If I were to buy again, and I were to place weight at a high premium, I would strongly consider the Badger. Even with it being a bit heavier. Not that I have had an issue with the Scalarworks, but the hinge design is, from a strict engineering standpoint, not the best method. This does not mean the method can't work, as I have shown in my above post. But a traditional double-clamp design is more likely to have better functionality than a hinge.

I have an older LEAP/07, hinge just fractured, I sent a warranty note and they said they'll take care of it right away, that was last Saturday, I provided all the information they requested but haven't heard back, hopefully they'll get back soon and will get me taken care of. Their new design is supposed to be stronger, I guess I'll find out.
They’ll send you a new one…that’s how my 07 got replaced with an 08 model. But 3/3 units I’ve had issues with says I’ll pass on their hinge type mounts altogether.

I have a Scalarworks on my first competition gun:
View attachment 8002092
It was assembled just as shown here 2.5 years ago, and the scope has never been off of it since Day 1. It has been through 3 days of a carbine course, 6 Run n Guns, and over 2900 rounds. It has never moved. And this mount is the early model with the apparently troublesome hinge pin.
…but if you type in a search for Scalarworks Leap mounts breaking you’ll find A LOT of failed hinge issues. That’s why I included photos…it’s not just an anomaly but good for you that your mount worked out! Everyone let’s cheer for the few who where lucky and reported that it worked out for them. Clap clap clap.

I have never put the Scalarworks/March setup on a rifle. I am currently using the original March Shorty single ring mount (#MAR2037), now discontinued. I don't have a picture of it on my rifle, but you can find pictures of the mount on the web with a search.

Many people, including some I much respect their experience, say they have had issues with this scope mount. I have not.
I will take a picture and post it later.
I thought you were gonna lighten that mount. Did you make any progress?

I
The badger mount is indeed outstanding. Yet the March mount is only around an ounce heavier, right?
It depends on which Badger you are talking about. There are a total of 8 different 34mm Badger models. Looking specifically at the COMM models which have the cantilevered overhang, there are three different heights of them.

Picking the middle, that being the 1.70" tall, Badger lists it at 6.2oz. If you add in the weight of the 34-30mm reducer rings, it will be a bit heavier than that. The March mount is I believe 7.1oz. So the difference is less than an ounce.

How much is an ounce? That depends on your perspective. Compared to a 200lb human, it is nothing. Compared to a Scalarworks, an ounce represents nearly 20% of the total weight of the Scalarworks mount. The difference between the March scope and most of the competition is around 4oz. An extra 1oz on the mount is giving back 25% of the weight you saved by installing the March scope.

Sharing this information in case anyone else is interested.

I run ARD’s on most of my optics, mainly to protect the objective lens and for the other obvious reasons. So after getting the March Shorty I decided to order one. I could not find one anywhere so I contacted Don at LongRangeSupply and he ordered it for me. Great guy, first time customer but plan on doing more with him in the future. Anyway, I just received it, it took 2 months to get it but I am very pleased. In the interim I have been using the March Sunshade which I found on Optics Planet. Following is some technical data if you are interested:

March 24 mm Sunshade – Black – Part #: DB485-0
Diameter: 33 mm (1.299”)
Overall Length: 66.15 mm (2.604”)
Length Minus Threads: 63.55 mm (2.502”)
Weight: 22 g (0.78 oz)
Cost: $38.00

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

IMG_2142.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG

March 24 mm Honeycomb Hood (ARD) – Black – Part #: DB391-A
Overall Length: 15 mm (0.591”)
Length Minus Threads: 12 mm (0.472”)
Weight: 6 g (0.21 oz)
Cost: $104.00

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2144.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

Edit: added weights

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, dustbun. How do you like the March shorty so far?
You are welcome. I do like the scope, what little I have used it. I have the DR-TR1 reticle. I bought it for the new rifle that I built that it is mounted on in the picture. I have been busy getting the rifle setup and really haven't had much time to work with the scope and enjoy it. I am off for two weeks so I plan on spending more time on it at the range.

Sharing this information in case anyone else is interested.

I run ARD’s on most of my optics, mainly to protect the objective lens and for the other obvious reasons. So after getting the March Shorty I decided to order one. I could not find one anywhere so I contacted Don at LongRangeSupply and he ordered it for me. Great guy, first time customer but plan on doing more with him in the future. Anyway, I just received it, it took 2 months to get it but I am very pleased. In the interim I have been using the March Sunshade which I found on Optics Planet. Following is some technical data if you are interested:

March 24 mm Sunshade – Black – Part #: DB485-0
Overall Length: 66.15 mm (2.604”)
Length Minus Threads: 63.55 mm (2.502”)
Weight: 22 g (0.78 oz)
Cost: $38.00

View attachment 8025130

View attachment 8025131

View attachment 8025133

View attachment 8025134

March 24 mm Honeycomb Hood (ARD) – Black – Part #: DB391-A
Overall Length: 15 mm (0.591”)
Length Minus Threads: 12 mm (0.472”)
Weight: 6 g (0.21 oz)
Cost: $104.00

View attachment 8025135

View attachment 8025136

View attachment 8025137

View attachment 8025138

View attachment 8025139

Edit: added weights

What's the height of that scope mount? I can't find it anywhere online

What's the height of that scope mount? I can't find it anywhere online
Following is what I measured with calipers:

Distance from top of the Picatinny rail to the center of the rings: ≈39.5 mm (1.555")
Distance from top of the Picatinny rail to the top of the rear 30 mm ring: ≈57.3 mm (2.256")
Distance from top of the Picatinny rail to the top of the front 33 mm ring: ≈60.68 mm (2.389")

Edit: Typo - 57.3 mm (2.556") changed to 57.3 mm (2.256").

Last edited:
Following is what I measured with calipers:

Distance from top of the Picatinny rail to the center of the rings: ≈39.5 mm (1.555")
Distance from top of the Picatinny rail to the top of the rear 30 mm ring: ≈57.3 mm (2.556")
Distance from top of the Picatinny rail to the top of the front 33 mm ring: ≈60.68 mm (2.389")

Perfect. Will do great behind a clip-on thermal.

Reactions: DustBun
Perfect. Will do great behind a clip-on thermal.
I just noticed a typo in my measurements and edited the original post in regards to:
Distance from top of the Picatinny rail to the top of the rear 30 mm ring: ≈57.3 mm (2.256")

I doesn't matter for your clip-on but I wanted to inform you.

I just noticed a typo in my measurements and edited the original post in regards to:

I doesn't matter for your clip-on but I wanted to inform you.

Thanks. Only thing that matters is the centerline of scope measurement of ~1.5"

Reactions: DustBun
Finally got one. I know scopes can be very subjective and eyes are different and all, but I am extremely impressed so far. Nice eye box, clear glass, bright red dot, and ridiculously short and light for a 1-10 lpvo.

I already like it better than the Vortex 1-10, but it is more money. One of my favorite things about it is how it still would be very effective if the battery died and I didn't have a replacement immediately available, which can be an issue with ffp lpvos.

I wish they wouldn't have done those tall shuriken turrets on the gen 2. Low profile capped makes more sense to me.

I wish they wouldn't have done those tall shuriken turrets on the gen 2. Low profile capped makes more sense to me.
I agree. That's why I ordered the Gen 1. It is capped and low profile, but it does require the factory mount. I looked at the badger c1 mount I like for my kahles k16i and the Vortex 1-10 (before I sold it) earlier on this thread, and realized it was only around an ounce difference or so in total weight compared to the March mount.

One other thing I noticed is that while the March is definitely lighter on paper compared to the Vortex 1-10, the difference feels more substantial due to being roughly an inch and a half shorter. It reminds me of how a really well balanced rifle can feel lighter than one not as well balanced. FALs always felt lighter than they were on paper to me, and so does the sr25 CC. For 556 ARs, it is sort of like a tapered barrel vs a govt profile feeling totally different due to the balance and weight distribution, if that makes any sense.

That's a few nice LPVOs right there...

I use the earlier March 1-8x24 Shorty with a variety of clip-ons. It works exceedignly well. I have spent a lot of time with the 1-10x24 Shorty and like it quite a lot, but for hunting purposes the FFP 1-8x24 does everything I need to.

ILya
I owe you a big thank you for letting me know this March shorty even existed. After I saw one of your YouTube videos discussing it, I started researching and finally ended up buying one. Your review and comments were spot on!

Mine is the DR1-TR1 reticle with capped turrets. I had the one with the exposed turrets before and i wasn't really a fan of them on a 1-10x. Ive had it maybe a year now and still haven't mounted it because of the double dia setup. Im having a custom 34mm to 33mm delrin step-down insert made and I’ll probably mount it in a 34mm Badger Comm mount along with a 34mm to 30mm rear step-down insert. My last one I did the same thing but with aluminum sheet stock and it held up fine.

Attachments

• IMG_6463.jpeg
    IMG_6463.jpeg
    469.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6466.jpeg
    IMG_6466.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Zero Gravity told me there were enough people asking about it that they were looking into doing a run of 33/30mm mounts for the March 1-10 shorty. They said it may be a bit of time though.

But, that was before the 34mm Gen 2 came out and I don’t know if they’re still planning on doing the gen 1 mount.

If they do come out with one, it would pair very well with the shorty, being only 5 1/4 ounces. But they only offer 1.7” and 1.93” mounts. So it probably wouldn’t work for those using clip ons.

@DacianMH you might want to check American Rifle Company, they might have the rings in stock, that is what I am using....
I saw those, I have a work around though using polystyrene sheets that are .53mm thick. I’ll replace the white for black down the road but see pics for clarification. I need an SPR style not separate rings. My intended use for it is for my LSA 6mmARC but I’ve been so busy with 8.6 Blackout that I’ve forgotten about the 6mmARC 🤨

Last edited:
Check out the new Primary Arms PLX cant mounts (not for the earlier version of the 1-10x). Very light, almost the same as the Scalarworks for $180 less. I have the LEAP 08 and the PLX with the PLX waiting for my 1-8 compact (poor man's March!) to arrive. It's made in the USA out of 7075 and has a very nice coating. It's less expensive than the Badger as well but doesn't have the add on capabilities. https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-30mm-plx-cantilever-mount-1.5-pa-plx-cm-30-1.5

If ARC would do a lightweight version of their one-piece scope mount, I'd be all over it.

Check out the new Primary Arms PLX cant mounts (not for the earlier version of the 1-10x). Very light, almost the same as the Scalarworks for $180 less. I have the LEAP 08 and the PLX with the PLX waiting for my 1-8 compact (poor man's March!) to arrive. It's made in the USA out of 7075 and has a very nice coating. It's less expensive than the Badger as well but doesn't have the add on capabilities. https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-30mm-plx-cantilever-mount-1.5-pa-plx-cm-30-1.5

If ARC would do a lightweight version of their one-piece scope mount, I'd be all over it.
Regarding PA PLX cantilever mount vs. Scalarworks, not sure where you think similarities are coming from because it is not QD and it is not two bolt/hinge lock. I'd say the PLX cant is closer to Badger C1 and Geissele more than Scalarworks.

I have both so aware of the differences. Was only comparing to the Scalarworks in terms of overall weight.
My bad, I misunderstood "Very light, almost the same as the Scalarworks for $180 less.", I see now how you were just referring to weight and not the overall design.

Well yall, Im considering selling my March F Shorty DR1 TR1. Its in mint condition. Never dropped, scratched, or abused in any way. There aren't any left that I could see anywhere and mine is the capped one you see here in the attachment. PM me with an offer if anyone is interested. Its in the mount now but i can include the mount or remove it. The white shim stock is polystyrene.
How long you been here and still don't know the rules?

Big sale if anyone is looking for a mount! (no affiliation)

Big sale if anyone is looking for a mount! (no affiliation)

I didn't think Shiraz was affiliated with March anymore, that's interesting...

Has anyone tried this mount on any other LPVO? It should work just fine with any short body LPVO like the PA PLxC 1-8. It's not going to be as rigid as a dual ring mono mount but it would be a good trade off for weight reduction