• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March 3-24 Illumination ?

Stonewall2

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2005
Calgary Alberta Canada
I intend to purchase a March 3-24 with FML reticle .

I do not have any experience with illuminated reticles in rifle scopes .

Comments that I read on the internet say that when most illuminated reticles are bright enough to see in the dark that light washes out the target image making shooting impossible.

I am interested in any observations on and actual use of illuminated reticles by the members of this forum in general and input from any users of the March 3-24 FML illuminated reticle option.

I intend to use this for long range hunting and varmint shooting.

I had a chance to look at this scope with the non illuminated FML reticle for about five minutes on my deck at dusk and was very impressed with the total package.

I have a March 40 X with a 1/8 dot for Benchrest so I have experience with Decon optics .

Thank you in advance for your posts on this subject .

Glenn

Comments that I read on the internet say that when most illuminated reticles are bright enough to see in the dark that light washes out the target image making shooting impossible.

Actually, only a hint of light from a reticle is needed in low / no light. The problem I've seen is that even on the lowest setting, many illuminated reticles are too bright for hunting at dusk and dawn.

Regarding the March 3-24, I asked the same question a few months back:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...opes/178623-march-ffp-scope-illumination.html

I now own an illuminated model with the low-intensity module, which has four settings if memory serves correctly. The low module works great for hunting in low light, as the lowest setting is dim enough to not wash out the target. I do not know if it's daytime viewable at the brightest setting of the low module, which seems to be important in 3-gun competitions, but has no relevance to my application.

When I purchased the March from Kelblys, I was offered a choice between low and high intensity illumination. If desired, an addition module can also be purchased and user installed based on application.

All that being said, if you haven't used illuminated reticles, and don't have a strong need, the non-illuminated model is ~$600 less. While March got the illumination right, they charge dearly for it.

Overall, it's a helluva scope.

"Comments that I read on the internet say that when most illuminated reticles are bright enough to see in the dark that light washes out the target image making shooting impossible."

I have never owned a March, but I have two Nightforce illuminated scopes and one Steiner. I have used them in low light conditions as well as complete darkness for varmint/predator hunting and have had no problem whatsoever with the illumination washing out the target. Simply adjust the illumination intensity to appropriate level for any given situation and you are good to go.

Thank you Drifter001 and supratt96 as this is a lot more information than I got from Hobbie .

The low-intensity module will be ordered with the scope.

My other concern is the torque for the scope ring screws .
I believe that I was told ten inch pounds in an email but this seems rather light in my experience .

Andy bought the non illuminated 3-24 FML and will be mounting his on a Borden .300 Win . being made at this time.
High quality mounts will be used with lapped rings matching the tube diameter.

What rings are you using and what torque do you use on the ring screws ?
I could dust the inside of the rings with rosin or use 3M electrical cement if necessary .
I have mounted a lot of rifle scopes over the years stress free with no problems .

Which reticles that most find best for illumination and how much reticle is illuminated would be an interesting topic but as usual my only real answer would come from actual use in conditions I think .

Glenn

Last edited:
I have a Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 and a March 3-24x42, both of which are illuminated. The Leupold illumination can be dialed up for daylight conditions or down for dawn or dusk. Neither extremes wash out the target. My March 3-24 has the low illumination option. At its brightest setting it's not visible in daylight to my eyes. At twilight, I usually go with the brightest setting, but it has never washed out anything I've aimed at.
Skip

My other concern is the torque for the scope ring screws .

I believe that I was told ten inch pounds in an email but this seems rather light in my experience .

What rings are you using and what torque do you use on the ring screws ?

I'm currently using the March in a Bobro AR-15 mount with ~20 inch-pounds of ring screw torque.

Also, the MGM Switchview scope lever designed for a Meuller APT will work on the March.

Last edited:
I'm currently using the March in a Bobro AR-15 mount with ~20 inch-pounds of ring screw torque.

Also, the MGM Switchview scope lever designed for a Meuller APT will work on the March.

Drift, is that a skeletonized Timney trigger?

As for ring torque, I would follow the ring manufacturer's instructions, unless you have a problem with the scope, then back it off 2 inch pounds at a time until the scope adjustments no longer object.

Joe

Both my March scopes are nonilluminated. I only use them for target shooting and have never used illumination (except for ACOG with red chevron on my AR 15), so saw no reason for the extra expense. Just one more thing that could break, although I have not heard of that issue with March scopes. A few people have posted that testing illumination at dusk and dawn, they only found illumination helpful for between 5 and 10 additional minutes. Not a hunter, so can't confirm those observations.

I used to cull feral animals here in Australia in my younger days, exclusively at night with an old Khales 8x56, illumination? What illumination? ;)