• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March-FX 1-10X24 34mm

Denys

Turbulent Optics Student
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2012
    Texas
    I noticed that March has posted the complete specs for these two LPVOs at their website. FFP and Dual Reticles.

My understanding is that all -F and -FX riflescopes have 34mm tubes with 4mm thick walls and that's why the new 1.5-15X42 FFP/DR and the 1-10X24 FFP/DR now have the -FX in their names.

Dual Reticle:

FFP

The 1-10mm Shorty has been a 30mm tube with one end using a 33mm ring. Most odd, but I do not think they change the optic much, other than to give it a uniform 34mm tube and a new turret cap.

Reactions: Denys
    50MIL elevation travel and 25MIL windage travel... While the older 30mm Shorty has 56MIL for both, I would have expected the newer version to have more, given the bigger tube size

Reactions: Snapper314
    Has there been any info on if they increased the brightness of the fiber dot yet?

Does anybody actually have pictures of the illumination of the dfp on the gen 1? I'm having a hard time figuring out the brightness of this thing. Some people say it's nuclear and some people say it's barely visible.

50MIL elevation travel and 25MIL windage travel... While the older 30mm Shorty has 56MIL for both, I would have expected the newer version to have more, given the bigger tube size
    Larger tube size means the wall is thicker, the ID remains the same as the one for the 30mm.

It’s daylight visible, but nothing like an ATACR or Razor.

BC50E868-69D9-43FE-B1FD-F1E991DAE321.jpeg
    1F27D3C1-98EC-4095-9E82-83FFEDF3ADD3.jpeg

Bright enough to see in bright daylight, It's not eotech HWS bright, but with the help of the etched cross, aiming it's not an issue at all at 1x

I have a couple and have to say the picture doesn’t seem to do the Shorty’s dot justice. At least point it at a similiar solid colored background (tree).
    They were right next to each other, I can’t control my backyard. In any case both are gone now.

In fact, they’re pointing within a foot of the same spot.

The pictures shown above are an example of why I do not like comparisons of riflescope by individuals. The view is completely different betwen the two, the magnification is not identical and the illuminated to is not on the exact same target. One is on a dark tree trunk and the other is in branches with a light background.

@gxer I checked with Deon about the adjustment range difference. Internally the two versions are the same, but some people were getting lost in large windage adjustments, so they decided the limit the adjustment range in the dial as it is believed that people would not use much more that 10-odd MIL in windage adjustment on one side or the other. For the elevation they set it to 50MIL so it's an exact number of dial rotations.

They do listen to their customers.

They’re both on 1x sitting 3” apart on the banister of my deck; eat dicks.
    Yeah, beggars can’t be choosy… but can you answer why you didn’t bother to aim them at the same point? Otherwise, it really defeats the purpose of the “comparison.”

Yeah, beggars can’t be choosy… but can you answer why you didn’t bother to aim them at the same point? Otherwise, it really defeats the purpose of the “comparison.”
    Because I was doing both at the same time and not for some forum review? They’re aimed at the same area just offset, getting pix was a bitch. Just a quick comparison once I got the March in hand last year.

I had no ulterior motives and in the end sold both. The ATACR is brighter with a more 1x usable reticle, though more obstructive. It’s heavy with terrible FoV and very low value for the MSRP.

Reactions: ohiofarmer
    The pictures shown above are an example of why I do not like comparisons of riflescope by individuals. The view is completely different betwen the two, the magnification is not identical and the illuminated to is not on the exact same target. One is on a dark tree trunk and the other is in branches with a light background.

@gxer I checked with Deon about the adjustment range difference. Internally the two versions are the same, but some people were getting lost in large windage adjustments, so they decided the limit the adjustment range in the dial as it is believed that people would not use much more that 10-odd MIL in windage adjustment on one side or the other. For the elevation they set it to 50MIL so it's an exact number of dial rotations.

They do listen to their customers.
    So, they are saying: We did such a good job designing and manufacturing a piece of tech, it needs to be tuned down to make it easier for the wider public

So, they are saying: We did such a good job designing and manufacturing a piece of tech, it needs to be tuned down to make it easier for the wider public
    I like your thinking.

But I don't agree with it.

As an explanation, I am an IQ (image Quality) purist. I try to stay near the optical center of my riflescopes as much as possible for the best IQ. For example, on my F-TR match rifles, which I use mostly at 1000 yards, I have mounted my riflescope using a combination of XTR Signature rings with their inserts and a 20MOA ramp to have the 1000 yard zero within a few MOAs of mechanical center. On my PRS rifle, I use a 20MOA rail on which I have a riflescope that has a turret with 10 MIL per turn (March-FX 4.5028X52). I zeroed at 100 yards and set the knob cap to 0 at that spot. Within 1 10 MIL rev, I can go from 100 to about 900-some yards. I am not using anywhere near the available amount of travel with that setup. On the 1-10X24, you have 50MIL of elevation travel, and you have a 0-set in the shuriken elevation knob. That should be able to take you to a few 1000 yards. The windage knob does not have a 0-set, and with the great reticles in the scope, it seems lots of people simply want capped windage knobs. I use the windage knob sparingly on my F-TR rifle, preferring to use the reticle and target for left and right adjustments of 3-4 MOAs on either side. If the wind is horrible, I will use the windage knob. I think the most I have ever dialed at 1000 yards in a bad wind was about 10MOA, which is less than 3MIL.

Just for grins, I used JBM with my current .308 load at 1000 yards and a 50MPH wind to see that I would need to dial 30-some MOAs or about 10 MIL. I guess I have little imagination because I can think of shooting at 1000 yards in a 50MPH crosswind with my 10-60X56 riflescope set at 50X, let alone with a 1-10X24 riflescope.

Can you present a scenario where you would need more than 12.5MIL of left or right windage, other than a mount problem?

Also, if you really needed 50MOA of windage adjustment, you probably might be able to specify that need when you order a 1-10X24 34mm.

Reactions: gxer
    I agree w/ Denys. I have a march scope that has double rotation markings on the windage turret. The only thing that the 2nd revolution markings does for me is make it harder to read the 1st revolution markings. I would rather have just one revolution marked with larger numbers.

I like your thinking.

But I don't agree with it.

As an explanation, I am an IQ (image Quality) purist. I try to stay near the optical center of my riflescopes as much as possible for the best IQ. For example, on my F-TR match rifles, which I use mostly at 1000 yards, I have mounted my riflescope using a combination of XTR Signature rings with their inserts and a 20MOA ramp to have the 1000 yard zero within a few MOAs of mechanical center. On my PRS rifle, I use a 20MOA rail on which I have a riflescope that has a turret with 10 MIL per turn (March-FX 4.5028X52). I zeroed at 100 yards and set the knob cap to 0 at that spot. Within 1 10 MIL rev, I can go from 100 to about 900-some yards. I am not using anywhere near the available amount of travel with that setup. On the 1-10X24, you have 50MIL of elevation travel, and you have a 0-set in the shuriken elevation knob. That should be able to take you to a few 1000 yards. The windage knob does not have a 0-set, and with the great reticles in the scope, it seems lots of people simply want capped windage knobs. I use the windage knob sparingly on my F-TR rifle, preferring to use the reticle and target for left and right adjustments of 3-4 MOAs on either side. If the wind is horrible, I will use the windage knob. I think the most I have ever dialed at 1000 yards in a bad wind was about 10MOA, which is less than 3MIL.

Just for grins, I used JBM with my current .308 load at 1000 yards and a 50MPH wind to see that I would need to dial 30-some MOAs or about 10 MIL. I guess I have little imagination because I can think of shooting at 1000 yards in a 50MPH crosswind with my 10-60X56 riflescope set at 50X, let alone with a 1-10X24 riflescope.

Can you present a scenario where you would need more than 12.5MIL of left or right windage, other than a mount problem?

Also, if you really needed 50MOA of windage adjustment, you probably might be able to specify that need when you order a 1-10X24 34mm.

Funny thing is that I am probably one of three people who really uses a lot of the elevation adjustment range on the March Shorty, although mine is the 1-8x24. Most LPVOs have quite a lot of adjustment range simply because short objective length scopes do. Any normal LPVO use does not really require it. There are a few exotic applications out there and I use the Shorty on a 300Blackout boltgun, that regularly lobs subsonics out to about 800 yards. That often requires around 35mrad of drop, so I had a custom sloped mount made for it.
    Even for this weird endeavor, I extremely seldom dial wind. I usually dial for elevation and hold for wind. Single number scale on the windage turret is the right way to go.

ILya

@koshkin Even if you are one of only three people who uses a LOT of elevation on the Shorty, the 34mm model will work just fine. They kept the 50MIL range for elevation.

I know of people who use such scopes on rimfire rifles for 300-400 yards or more. They like a lot of elevation also.

Because I was doing both at the same time and not for some forum review? They’re aimed at the same area just offset, getting pix was a bitch. Just a quick comparison once I got the March in hand last year.

I had no ulterior motives and in the end sold both. The ATACR is brighter with a more 1x usable reticle, though more obstructive. It’s heavy with terrible FoV and very low value for the MSRP.
    Would you mind making a comment on the glass of the two scopes? Thank you. F7

How often are you using more than 50 mil with an LPVO? Sometimes “more” is not better.