• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marine Corps Uniform

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Just had a conversation with a Marine in desert digitals. Instead of the standard blouse he was wearing some sort of digital cold weather sweater. Looked like it had thick coyote fleece on the inside. Temps in 40's today looked like a nice piece of gear.

Dating myself all I had for the cool weather was a scratchy ass wooly pulley or if you were salty you pulled the liner out of your M65 and wore it under your blouse hoping someone wouldnt call you on it as being "unauthorized go put your itchy ass wooly pulley on"

I suppose these guys no longer have heavy ass down/canvas sleeping bags or shelter halves. Wall locker inspections must be a pita if you have to display the myriad of gear issued today.

I can only imagine a junk-on-the-bunk/CG inspection these days. Would it even all fit on the rack? (If they even still have the military racks in barracks anymore; when I got out, they were already converting over to wooden, civilian type barracks furniture. No room diagrams or regulation regarding layout.)

Times, they be a'changing...

It wasn't too bad. But you guys are correct, it certainly does not fit on just a bunk. More like "Junk on The Bunk + 2ft of Floor Space in Front as Well". I was in from 2004-2012 and remember going through boot/SOI with the old stuff and the sheer amazement when I got the new stuff from my first duyt station. Even since then its crazy how fast they are replacing and improving issued gear.

Come on guys, woolies are great. Helps to be hairy though. I still use the old wool blankets around the house and never have an itch.

Yeah, I always LOVED my Wooly Pulley too. I thought they looked sharp, whether in civies or under my cammie blouse when it really got cold in the field (never cared for them as Alpha coat substitutes, though). But then again, I had come right out of the '70s when sweaters were a common sight. I wish mine still fit. Now all I see have epaulettes- yuck!- when did that start?

Come on guys, woolies are great.

Did it make a sound like seperating velcro on removal? I mean youd have to be pretty hairy to appreciate that itchy SOB.

I love wool for cold outdoor gear but my WP was made of reject brillo pads. Still have mine. Must have self shrunk in the seabag. Seems a lot smaller than I think it should be.

Time for some non-USMC woolly pully nostalgia!

Did you guys have to have creases in the sleeves too? We used to melt wax into the wool, so it would hold a crease.

We had to put a drawstring in the collar too. It kept it looking neat when worn with a shirt, but did also have some disadvantages. I remember once driving home and thinking it was a bit hot. Ah well, it'll only take a second to pull my sweater. No traffic coming, here goes. So I pull it over my head, and it gets stuck there, and I'm driving along blindfolded by green wool (because I'd forgotten about the drawstring!). Not to be recommended!

Time for some non-USMC woolly pully nostalgia!

Did you guys have to have creases in the sleeves too? We used to melt wax into the wool, so it would hold a crease.

We had to put a drawstring in the collar too. It kept it looking neat when worn with a shirt, but did also have some disadvantages. I remember once driving home and thinking it was a bit hot. Ah well, it'll only take a second to pull my sweater. No traffic coming, here goes. So I pull it over my head, and it gets stuck there, and I'm driving along blindfolded by green wool (because I'd forgotten about the drawstring!). Not to be recommended!

There were no modifications to the wooley pulley that I recall anyone making. Reality unless you were admin or something clerical and actually had an OIC that liked the wooley pulley it was never seen. Infantry it was personal preference to wear it in cold weather and only rarely did I see it worn. I liked the M65 quilted jacket liner under my woodland blouse.

My job issues a blue wooley pulley. Mine still sits in its plastic bag. Only time you ever seen it worn the person wearing it is someone that doesn't do any work.

We wear/wore the woolly pully as an outer layer, usually over the equally itchy wool shirt.

I liked the M65 quilted jacket liner under my woodland blouse.

This^^^

In the day and age before Goretex, this was the preferred garment. Light, warm, breathable (since there were no arm pits, the liner vented well), and pretty invisible underneath the utility blouse.

Yes times are a changing. You dont want to know what goes on these days.

I was lucky enough to have both a wooly pully and polypro. The polypro was the way to fly for sure. During cold weather in the field the way to go was just a polypro under your blouse, it also helped cut down on chafing from heavy loads. Also on the subject of old gear I miss the nylon PT shorts also called Ranger panties they were the best undergarment when busting your ass for long period of times...

Good thread brings back lots of memories.

So, this has turned into a Wooly Pulley thread. LOL!
    I have felt some Wooly Pulleys like the ones mentioned that were like Brill-O pads. I'm not sure who made the ones bought in PXs. I bought my own through Brigade Quartermasters in the early 1980s. I remember the tag on it said it was "The Original Wooly-Pulley", made in the U.K. It was always nice and soft. Maybe the later ones, or knock-off manufacturers made the Brill-O pad Wooleys.

Later on I learned some tricks for washing wool to all but eliminate scratchiness. Hand wash in Woolite, then rinse and let soak in water with vinegar to break down the mineral scale on the fibers. Add some hair conditioner to the final rinse, and your woolens will feel s-o-f-t, and not scratchy (until they get dirty again).

So, this has turned into a Wooly Pulley thread. LOL!
    I have felt some Wooly Pulleys like the ones mentioned that were like Brill-O pads. I'm not sure who made the ones bought in PXs. I bought my own through Brigade Quartermasters in the early 1980s. I remember the tag on it said it was "The Original Wooly-Pulley", made in the U.K. It was always nice and soft. Maybe the later ones, or knock-off manufacturers made the Brill-O pad Wooleys.

Later on I learned some tricks for washing wool to all but eliminate scratchiness. Hand wash in Woolite, then rinse and let soak in water with vinegar to break down the mineral scale on the fibers. Add some hair conditioner to the final rinse, and your woolens will feel s-o-f-t, and not scratchy (until they get dirty again).

Sorry I think this post belongs in the "Caring for your Textiles" Forum.

I think I would like to find one of those cold weather shirts to use for a layer with some esprit. It wasnt the plain first gen poly pro. It looked like a combat shirt with a fleece lining. Maybe it was a combat shirt worn over poly pro.

Never had the wolley pulleys & I left the polypro in the bottom of my sea bags because of UnderArmor.
    Polypro was kept on hand only for gear inspections..

I didnt want to get all Queer Eye for the Straight Guy on the young L/Cpl. Our discussion was basically about travelling at a high rate of speed in a location 10 minutes from his appointed formation at a time 5 minutes before that formation. I didnt want to hold him up.

The outer of his shirt looked similar to the desert digital combat shirt but it appeared to have a thick fleece interior lining. Maybe it was just a combat shirt worn over a sleep shirt.

Hey, anything, any time, anywhere if it'll help alleviate a brother's suffering! LOL! Semper Fi, Mac.

Renaissance men abound on this site. Name the topic intelligent discussion will follow.

I still wear my wooly pully. I have bought other wool sweaters also. The higher the quality of the wool the more comfortable they are.

The "wooly pully" was very uncomfortable. Let's be clear, it sucked. I wore mine one w/ Service Bravos while acting as DNCO. That shit hit the sea bag, NEVER to be used again. Gore-Tex was definitely the way to go. Unless you're in formation. Then, the M65 would work just fine.

Ya'll want to really take a step back? Remember the green "Gumby Suits?"

Sweet Jesus, what a bunch of delicate flowers! I wore my Wolly Pully all the time and never had a problem with it. Even after I got out in '92, I still wore mine a lot until they were worn out. When you live in cold climates, you learn early on that wool is a wonderful insulator, keeps you warm and even when wet still provides insulation and warmth. I never found it itchy but then again I grew up wearing wool and am quite used to it.

Gumby Uniform

My old Platoon K 3/1,3rd Plt.
    imagejpg29_zpse3f8ee90.jpg

Sweet Jesus, what a bunch of delicate flowers! I wore my Wolly Pully all the time and never had a problem with it. Even after I got out in '92, I still wore mine a lot until they were worn out. When you live in cold climates, you learn early on that wool is a wonderful insulator, keeps you warm and even when wet still provides insulation and warmth. I never found it itchy but then again I grew up wearing wool and am quite used to it.

Filson and Woolrich use sheep as a source for their wool products and I love their gear.

Wooly Pulleys are woven from reject curly cunt hair in Hell.

I agree with you wool is dynamite for cold weather wear.

We call it a buffalo. Not sure exactly what its officially called and not everyone gets one but they are very comfortable. They are fleece on the inside and desert digital on the outside.

Thats what I saw. So it does exist.

We call it a buffalo. Not sure exactly what its officially called and not everyone gets one but they are very comfortable. They are fleece on the inside and desert digital on the outside.

Must be the replacement for the "buffalo coats" that we were issued when goretex first came out (the original goretex extreme cold weather liners were dark brown polar fleece, and looked like artificial buffalo fur; hence the name).

Loved my wooly pooly after I sweated in it alot. Don't know if the body sweat/oils helped or what. I am a little hairy but wore that straight no undershirt and cammie blouse over the top when I was in the stumps. Don't think I ever washed it....bwahahahha