• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Marine Tex Cleanup

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
What are you gents using for cleaning up the overflow when using Marine Tex? I think some rifle builder recommended WD40, but I am not sure. I have previously only used Accraglas, so this is a new product to me.

david

Re: Marine Tex Cleanup

WD-40 takes off the Marine Tex without removing the release agent. William Roscoe is who recommened it, and it works very well.

It probably should be mentioned that this would be still wet Marine Tex were talking about, and, this method works very well for most other bedding compounds including the Devcons......

The first trick is to not get a whole bunch of excess bedding squeezing out in the first place, that takes a few tries to get that dialed in, as in how much is enough when you mix/apply it.

The second trick is to have in advance several, or a bunch, of popsicle sticks sharpened like a wood chisle. Some straight across, some sharpened at an angle one way, some sharpened at an angle the other. Use these to carefully "peel" off the still wet bedding, after it just begins to start to set. If you did the first trick right, then the second trick is easy.

The third trick is to use a handful of Q Tips wet with WD40. Use these to clean up what you couldn't get off with the wooded scrapers. If you did the second trick right, then there's not much work to the third trick at all and the WD40 will leave a real nice clean line, and smooth surface.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A fourth "trick" is to use plastic soda straws to <span style="font-weight: bold">pick up</span> the excess material without spreading it.

</div></div>

That's why I sharpen the popsicle sticks...I can see the soda straws might could work just a little better.

Gonna hafta try that......

Pledge furniture polish in the spray can will work when removing wet compound.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toygunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I will steal the straw idea. It makes sense. </div></div>
Sure, I did.
I'm not nearly clever enough to have thought of it myself.
blush.gif