• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Marines to field Colt .45 1911

Re: Marines to field Colt .45 1911

It's coming to the Force Reconnaissance Companies too. Thank goodness considering our current 1911s are literally falling apart on the line.

I was issued a 1911A1 back in the mid 1980s. when I made SSgt.

Same thing. The pistols were so unreliable it was painful to go to the range. Nearly unheard of to have a single string of fire without alibis due to pistol malfunctions.

I remember one time my front sight flew off on qual day....LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was issued a 1911A1 back in the mid 1980s. when I made SSgt.

Same thing. The pistols were so unreliable it was painful to go to the range. Nearly unheard of to have a single string of fire without alibis due to pistol malfunctions.

I remember one time my front sight flew off on qual day....LOL. </div></div>

.....that was mostly due to the Corps acquiring a crap load of surplus .45 ammo designed for sub guns ( Israeli TZZ stamped stuff IIRC).... it was just a little too hot for threadbare 1911's......units, like Security Forces, had to get waivers from HQMC to qual or famfire.....

The deck was stacked against the M1911 during the M9 trials from the beginning. The US Government hadn't bought a new M1911 since 1946. The weapon used to comparison test was a random GI gun against a brand-new set of 9mm challengers.

Try that again in 2024 with a random-issued M9 bought in 1985.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was issued a 1911A1 back in the mid 1980s. when I made SSgt.

I had the same bad experiences with 1911's and I was in the Army, not the Marines. As much as I love the .45 ACP caliber, I pray that they don't bring back the 1911's. I've never had the problems with Glock's, SIG's and HK's that I had with ALL the 1911's that I was issued. The 1911's really aren't the best sidearm this country can procure.

Bottom line guys ....

The government went with the best price on these pistols. Whether you believe it or not ... that's what happened. Will the Colts from the government contract buy equal the quality of a new Wilson, or even a civilian available model Colt? Probably not. It all boils down to who offered the best price.

Why does 90% of the various US law enforcement officers carry Glocks? If you think it's because of reliability ... think again! It's because of the insanely cheap prices they offer to police departments. Police departments can have new Glocks at around $325 a piece!

In my opinion ... the Corps is just beating a dead horse with this latest acquisition. If they really wanted to make a groundbreaking move they would have adopted a pistol that chambered the 10mm cartridge.

The 10mm is superior to the 45 acp in every way.

Plus, it would make way for 10mm milsurp brass!
laugh.gif

I read just about the whole argument from the beginning and just wanted to point out a couple things.

1. What people experience in real life is going to trump what they read in fake life (as badass as they are in fake life aka the internet) so maybe one pistols jams on someone more than the other they are obviously going to have a negative opinion against that gun until they have another positive action with that type of gun.

2. What people believe, they want to voice what they believe and get others to join them but one mans experience can't speak for someone else's, while others may join someone saying they have shot 20k rounds through a pistol there will always be people saying well I've shot 21k rounds and thats not right..

Bottom line is, our opinions aren't going to be changed by somebody on the internet on a subject we have strong ties to. So lets just relax and go back to posting pictures of sick guns and talking about actual things i can learn about, i want to hear facts not opinions, i want to see pictures of groupings and videos of torture tests, not hear about them. I mean, that is what we are all here for isn't it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RETE8</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was issued a 1911A1 back in the mid 1980s. when I made SSgt.

.....that was mostly due to the Corps acquiring a crap load of surplus .45 ammo designed for sub guns ( Israeli TZZ stamped stuff IIRC).... it was just a little too hot for threadbare 1911's......units, like Security Forces, had to get waivers from HQMC to qual or famfire..... </div></div>
TZZ marked used in subguns was 9mm.

....ummm, the Uzi was chambered in .45 as well as 9mm.....while maybe not classified as sub gun ammo, TZZ .45 clocked around 1150 fps, which was too hot for limit of shelf life service 1911's....

I own 4 45 autos

Colt 70 series Gold Cup for punching paper.

Detonics Combat Master - CCW use

Glock 21 - CCW use

and a new Colt stainless 70 series Gov Mod. that I just picked up that will used for a little bit of everything. I am impressed- so far with the fit , finish and it shoots good & functions 100 % so far - only 300rds and to me, nothing feels better in my hand than a 1911.

Depending on where I'm going and what I will be wearing is the deciding factor in which one I choose to carry. I also carry a HK P7 & a Browning HP in 9mm. I think they are all great weapons & am sure that each is more than good enough to make sure I return home safe.

That said, If I knew for sure ( ahead of time ) I was going to be in a fight for my life - that day I would be toting the Glock 21