• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mark 4 ER/T Front Focal not iluminated... WTF?

Re: Mark 4 ER/T Front Focal not iluminated... WTF?

I know I would like to see them offer Illuminated FFP scopes also. To be honest I have used illumination about 1% off the time and that 1% I could still make the shot with out illumination. Again I would like to see them offer illumination.

Mike @ CST

Thing is I was just about to order it when I caught it. I just assumed it was illuminated. I would have been pissed if I had ordered it. I mean they finally do the FFP but don't include illumination? It's just plain weird.

Not a big deal. I have an L/RT and a M/RT which are illuminated. I never use it except when room clearing with the M/RT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a big deal. I have an L/RT and a M/RT which are illuminated. I never use it except when room clearing with the M/RT. </div></div>

Do you ever shoot in low light?

Reason for the no illumination is that the SFP scopes have the reticule on a different lens.
Leupold's illumination system is setup to light that lens not the lens that the FFP uses.

Pretty much Leupold just didn't want to invest in a separate illumination system for what they consider a small part of the market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reason for the no illumination is that the SFP scopes have the reticule on a different lens.
Leupold's illumination system is setup to light that lens not the lens that the FFP uses.

Pretty much Leupold just didn't want to invest in a separate illumination system for what they consider a small part of the market.
</div></div>

Leupold thinks FFP is a small part of the market? Again...weird!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To be honest I have used illumination about 1% off the time and that 1% I could still make the shot with out illumination.</div></div>

+1. I don't mind haveing it, but don't find it necessary.

90% of our callouts are at night. In at least half of those the lighting conditions were such that I used the illumination in my SN-3.

Remember that on an FFP scope when you dial down the magnification to get the maximum light transmission your reticle gets very fine. In these instances there may be enough light to ID the target, but not enough contrast to accurately engage it.

We did lots of low-light shooting last night. I used the illumination even when we had a spotlight on the target. It just made the reticle much easier to pickup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a big deal. I have an L/RT and a M/RT which are illuminated. I never use it except when room clearing with the M/RT. </div></div>

Do you ever shoot in low light? </div></div>
Not really and if I did I used a vital (varient of the AN/PEQ-2) and AN/PVS-14.

When it was getting darker when doing CQB in Baghdad I would turn up the illumination on the M/RT. Other then that we had other low light day/night systems AN/PAS-15's and such that we would employ on our crew served systems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">90% of our callouts are at night. In at least half of those the lighting conditions were such that I used the illumination in my SN-3.

Remember that on an FFP scope when you dial down the magnification to get the maximum light transmission your reticle gets very fine. In these instances there may be enough light to ID the target, but not enough contrast to accurately engage it.

We did lots of low-light shooting last night. I used the illumination even when we had a spotlight on the target. It just made the reticle much easier to pickup. </div></div>
Are you or have you used/using any other type of low light systems (PVS-22 or 26?)