• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mark 4 Rings and Base for Nightforce NXS???

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I purchased a Nightforce NXS scope that will go on Leupold hunting rings for now, but I want to upgrade my mounting system. Whenever someone posts this question they always get the usual answers(Seekins, Badger). I was wondering why no one ever mentions the Mark 4 mounting system. Is ther something wrong with it or are the others just that much better? Asking opinions.

Re: Mark 4 Rings and Base for Nightforce NXS???

becuase its the cool aid flavor of the month thats all.

Mark 4 rings are fine. NF rings are nice also. EGW bases, warne bases all nice stuff.

Now i will say.. Seekins are my favorite set of rings.. you certainly wont go wrong with leupold marks 4 if thats what you got.

I'm tryin to save some money, and the Mark 4 System is the least expensive of the bunch. I was just wondering why no one ever recommends their tactical mounting systems... After all...I just spent 1600$ on the scope and my budget is tapped for the moment

I'm using Mark 4s with my NXS. Solid. Scope doesn't move. Before the NF they held an Elite for a couple years. No issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm using Mark 4s with my NXS. Solid. Scope doesn't move. Before the NF they held an Elite for a couple years. No issues. </div></div>

What mm objective do u have and on what kind of rifle. I'm gettin a 56mm to go on my Rem 700. Trying to figure out ring height too.

The mk4 rings are almost the same price as badger rings, and actually more expensive than seekins rings. The seekins base is $9 more than the mk4

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Csf45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mk4 rings are almost the same price as badger rings, and actually more expensive than seekins rings. The seekins base is $9 more than the mk4 </div></div>

So what makes them better?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm using Mark 4s with my NXS. Solid. Scope doesn't move. Before the NF they held an Elite for a couple years. No issues. </div></div>

What mm objective do u have and on what kind of rifle. I'm gettin a 56mm to go on my Rem 700. Trying to figure out ring height too. </div></div>

The scope is 50mm and I'm using Lows on a Remmy 700. With a 20MOA Mark 4 base, I have about 4mm of clearance between the bottom of the scope and the barrel. I can just barely get the bikini cover on.

I use a Mark 4 base and rings on my 5R, and Mark 4 rings on my M1A. If I'm not mistaken, the base is 15 MOA and not 20 MOA. The two piece Mark 4 bases are 20 MOA.

I have the alloy rings, and they don't leave any marks on my scope tubes.

I have mk4 on two of my rifles with NF scopes and Larue rings on another. I think above a certain $ level they are all very good so just go for what you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm tryin to save some money, and the Mark 4 System is the least expensive of the bunch. I was just wondering why no one ever recommends their tactical mounting systems... After all...I just spent 1600$ on the scope and my budget is tapped for the moment </div></div>
Mark 4 rings, bases, and scopes just have never been favorites here. Part of that may stem from the fact that Leupold allowed itself to fall way behind on the optics curve a long time ago, and they are just now beginning to start to design scopes more in line with what tactical shooters on this site might be interested in. Unfortunately, Leupold has priced it's Tactical lineup up there with manufacturers who are offering better value products. That tends to leave a lasting impression on people.

However, there is nothing wrong with Leupold rings or bases. I prefer Schmidt & Bender scopes but use Leupold Mark 4 rings in combination with a Tac Ops Two-Piece 40 MOA base on my Tac Ops X-Ray 51. Mike Rescigno at Tac Ops has been building rifles for 18 years and uses Mark 4 Rings almost exclusively, unless the customer requests another brand. With over 600 agencies and units using Tac Ops rifles worldwide I'd say Mark 4 Rings' more than get the job done. For Remington 700 two-piece bases I'd go with Tac Ops because they are available in more cants (15 MOA, 22 MOA, 34 MOA, 40 MOA, and 60 MOA).

I'm not LE or military, but below are photos of my X-Ray 51 as well as a few other Hide' members Tac Ops rifles. All wear Mark 4 Rings and Tac Ops Two-Piece Bases.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">X-Ray 51 with PMII 5-25X CCW + ARD in Mark 4 Rings over Tac Ops 40 MOA Two-Piece Base and Tac Ops Heavy Contour barrel:</span></span>
X-Ray51CBwODRingsRSRA18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kilo 51 with Premier 5-25X CCW in Mark 4 Rings over Tac Ops 22 MOA Two-Piece Base and Tac Ops Heavy Contour barrel:</span></span>
TylerKilo51RSProfile8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Echo 51 (left) w/Nightforce and Delta 55 w/Razor in Mark 4 Rings over Tac Ops 22 MOA Two-Piece Bases and TO's HC barrels:</span></span>
IMG_0005-2-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tango 51 with Mark 4 4-14X 50 CCW in Mark 4 Rings over Mark 4 Two-Piece Base. This rifle is more than 12 years old:</span></span>
Tango51RS8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Lefty Echo 51 with PMII 4-16X 50 in Mark 4 Rings over Tac Ops Two-Piece Base and Tac Ops Heavy Contour barrel:</span></span>
dirtpushersLeftyEcho51LS.jpg

Keith

I have the Mark 4 rings and bases on my duty rifle. Been using them for about 2 and half years with no problems. They were what what was recommended to me by my instructors when I went through basic sniper school.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Mark 4 base and rings on my 5R, and Mark 4 rings on my M1A. If I'm not mistaken, the base is 15 MOA and not 20 MOA. The two piece Mark 4 bases are 20 MOA.

I have the alloy rings, and they don't leave any marks on my scope tubes.

</div></div>

Im going with the one piece base. According to leupolds website its canted 20MOA... That should be enough elevation to adjust out to 1000+ yard according to my handload and ballistic data.

I really appreciate the help brothers....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im going with the one piece base. According to leupolds website its canted 20MOA... That should be enough elevation to adjust out to 1000+ yard according to my handload and ballistic data.

I really appreciate the help brothers.... </div></div>

This is from the Leupold website, under the "FEATURES" tab for Leupold Mark 4 Tactical Mounts...

"<span style="font-weight: bold">1-piece bases have a 15-MOA slope for long-range shooting applications</span>."

If you google the part number of my Remington 700 SA mount (59235), dealers also have it listed as being 15 MOA.

Probably won't make a difference, but if you really need that extra 5 MOA you may want to check and make sure that's what you're getting.

The main reason i use seekins is they have a recoil lug built into them and they are high grade alloy. i thought the Mk4 Leupold rings and bases were steel? and that makes them a lot heavier. we use Seekins where possible for bases and if someone wants high grade rings the first choice is Seekins but we have also used Nightforce lightweight rings but use Mk4 extra high rings for XLR stocks where a 56mm objective needs clearence over the forend tube. Also these rifles are usualy heavy so the extra weight of steel is not an issue on these big rifle builds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im going with the one piece base. According to leupolds website its canted 20MOA... That should be enough elevation to adjust out to 1000+ yard according to my handload and ballistic data.

This is from the Leupold website, under the "FEATURES" tab for Leupold Mark 4 Tactical Mounts...

"<span style="font-weight: bold">1-piece bases have a 15-MOA slope for long-range shooting applications</span>."

If you google the part number of my Remington 700 SA mount (59235), dealers also have it listed as being 15 MOA.

Probably won't make a difference, but if you really need that extra 5 MOA you may want to check and make sure that's what you're getting. </div></div>

The older 1 piece bases are 20MOA. Not sure why they stopped making them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=687225

It's still listed on the Midway site but listed as "discontinued". There are some still floating around out there. With a NF, you're right, that 5 is not going to make a difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im going with the one piece base. According to leupolds website its canted 20MOA... That should be enough elevation to adjust out to 1000+ yard according to my handload and ballistic data.

Probably won't make a difference, but if you really need that extra 5 MOA you may want to check and make sure that's what you're getting.

</div></div>

Thanks...I have a leupold STD long range hunting base...on my rifle now...Im going to mount it on there for now and see if that extra 5MOA is and is an issue, before I purchase anything...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The main reason i use seekins is they have a recoil lug built into them and they are high grade alloy. i thought the Mk4 Leupold rings and bases were steel? and that makes them a lot heavier.</div></div>
Although <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Mark 4 Bases</span></span> are steel, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">1" and 30mm Mark 4 Rings are available in both steel and aluminum in identical heights.</span></span> You have to click on the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Ordering Info"</span></span> tabs to display the part numbers and heights in each link.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Mark 4 Aluminum Rings</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Mark 4 Steel Rings & Bases</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we use Seekins where possible for bases and if someone wants high grade rings the first choice is Seekins but we have also used Nightforce lightweight rings but use Mk4 extra high rings for XLR stocks where a 56mm objective needs clearence over the forend tube. Also these rifles are usualy heavy so the extra weight of steel is not an issue on these big rifle builds.</div></div>
If you look at the charts in the links I provided above, you can see that Mark 4 Super High (1.40" height) are available in Aluminum as well as Steel. Keep that in mind next time you order Mark 4 Rings.

Keith

I have used Badger, NF and Leupold Mk 4 rings. They all work fine. While their may be some differences, it is going to matter more that you do a good job mounting the scope.