• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes mark 4 tracking??

G

I was wondering how the tracking of a mark 4 leupold compares to say a nightforce. I am interested in a 4.5-14 x 50 model for a long range coyote scope out to 1000 yards. the leupold is cheaper and of course way lighter. is the tracking on these comparable, I don't really care about the glass as I know the mark 4 is adequate, what I am concerned about is mechanical ability.

Re: mark 4 tracking??

I think most will agree that Nightforce is more reliable

Yeah everybody is going to be saying the same thing on this thread, Nightforce!!!

I've had a few mark 4s and the all tracked plenty consistently. I know it's not what you asked, but if you can swing the nightforce (just saw a 3.5-15 used for under a grand) I doubt you will regret it, and you won't have to question its ability to track properly.

the tracking is the main issue for me. the lighter weight of the leupold has a bunch of appeal. the leupold would be close to 1# less. I just don't wanna deal with tracking issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the tracking is the main issue for me. the lighter weight of the leupold has a bunch of appeal. the leupold would be close to 1# less. I just don't wanna deal with tracking issues. </div></div> Get the Nightforce and have no worries.

I have both the 4.5-14 x 50 and a nightforce 3-15 x 50 and at least both of mine track good. The leupold i have is barely used as it came on a 50 cal originally. I'd say that i like the way the clicks are on the nightforce better than the leupold.

Big sheet of paper + tape measure + black marker = tracking test target. Add a zero dot too to shot zero.

If it doesn't track, send it back. Call them and explain the tracking test and your mounting setup, I don't see why they wouldn't make it right.

I did this with my 3.5-10 Mark 4 and it worked great. Tracked wind/elev around about 6ft of paper.

I've got a 4.5-14x40 and it works fine. Has held/returned to zero with no complaints on my end.

I have two and they track very well,one of them is mounted on a .338rum without a brake and has endured recoil of several hundred 250smks at 3000 fps.

For a light weight scope the mark4 is hard to beat..Mine all track well and ony a few problems fro owning over 30 leupolds tacticals..

Have Mark 4s and Nightforces, I lean towards Nightforce. Little bit better glass and never had a problem with them tracking.

Kc

the 2 latest versions of the M4s, both 4.5-14x50s, one FFP and one SFP, both track perfectly.

The entire M4 lineup has had glass coating improvements over the last year and to my eyes are an improvement in low light.

I have both. More leups simply because of the price I got them at. When I bought them I could simply not swing a nightforce for both rifles I had. For pretty much the same price (well, a little more) I got a pair of used mark4s. Both have worked well for me, tracking, longevity etc.

FWIW Leup customer service has been top notch. I had one older one I bought go out on me (dead elevation) and sent it in. They fixed it no questions asked. I assume Nightforce will do the same. I just havent seen enough or gotten to break any : ).

I will say that the nightforce is a VERY nice scope though. The zero stop is great, glass is very nice, clicks are better feeling than the leup.

With a bit of a nod to the nightforce, either one will work for you. Just depends on what you can afford/scrimp for.

I have MK4's that range from ten plus years to one year. 10x40; 3.5-10x40; and 4.5-14x50's. They have all been to 800 and beyond and never a single issue. One was even cabonged really hard in a wreck (dings on the tube and turrent). Went straight to the range and shot the piss out of it...no worries.

I have never owned a Nightforce, but have been considering. Not because of all the hype, but I was able to fondle one and was impressed, especially now with the HS turrents.

I will say for the MK4's, the glass in my older ones is noticeably clearer than the newer ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering how the tracking of a mark 4 leupold compares to say a nightforce. I am interested in a 4.5-14 x 50 model for a long range coyote scope out to 1000 yards. the leupold is cheaper and of course way lighter. is the tracking on these comparable, I don't really care about the glass as I know the mark 4 is adequate, what I am concerned about is mechanical ability. </div></div> Three seperate people in this one thread have had mechanical issues with the leupold. If mechanical reliability is truly your number one concern then i think its a "No Brainer".

I have never had issues tracking with my Leupold MK4's. When you can get the MK4's on sale they are a good value but when I have to pay $1500 it is getting too close to the Nightforce and other higher level brands with better optics.

I've been looking for a reason to replace a MK4 for the last 5 years.....so far I haven't had a single issue with tracking whatsoever! I do own Nightforce, USO, and S&B optics also, and feel they are superior to the leupold....still that mk4 just performs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dimar1492</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering how the tracking of a mark 4 leupold compares to say a nightforce. I am interested in a 4.5-14 x 50 model for a long range coyote scope out to 1000 yards. the leupold is cheaper and of course way lighter. is the tracking on these comparable, I don't really care about the glass as I know the mark 4 is adequate, what I am concerned about is mechanical ability. </div></div> Three seperate people in this one thread have had mechanical issues with the leupold. If mechanical reliability is truly your number one concern then i think its a "No Brainer". </div></div>

Yeah the "no brainer" is that you should test your scopes for tracking reliability when you get them if its a great concern. I own more NFs than leupys but mechanical devices fail(even NF). IMO leupold needs to learn how to match a MOA ret with MOA adjustments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creature</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dimar1492</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering how the tracking of a mark 4 leupold compares to say a nightforce. I am interested in a 4.5-14 x 50 model for a long range coyote scope out to 1000 yards. the leupold is cheaper and of course way lighter. is the tracking on these comparable, I don't really care about the glass as I know the mark 4 is adequate, what I am concerned about is mechanical ability. </div></div> Three seperate people in this one thread have had mechanical issues with the leupold. If mechanical reliability is truly your number one concern then i think its a "No Brainer". </div></div>

Yeah the "no brainer" is that you should test your scopes for tracking reliability when you get them if its a great concern. I own more NFs than leupys but mechanical devices fail(even NF). IMO leupold needs to learn how to match a MOA ret with MOA adjustments.</div></div>

Matching retical and turrets is the one reason that is making me consider upgrading my 2 Mark 4's for Nightforce. Zero Stop and high speed turrets would be nice too.

But so far I haven't had a single issue with mine, they have been banged around and even dropped a few times over 4 years of hunting use. Makes it hard to justify the money, for now...

That being said, I have only handled Nightforce, never owned one.

Has anyone got there hands a new mark 4. Have they changed the glass to justify the 2500 to 3000 grand. The ones with the new turrets. How they track as well. That is alot of cash for what was a ressonible mark 4. Thanks for the info

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering how the tracking of a mark 4 leupold compares to say a nightforce. I am interested in a 4.5-14 x 50 model for a long range coyote scope out to 1000 yards. the leupold is cheaper and of course way lighter. is the tracking on these comparable, I don't really care about the glass as I know the mark 4 is adequate, what I am concerned about is mechanical ability. </div></div>
i have a new 2010 model mark 4 8.5x25 metric , i had one problem with it , grease on the o ring of turret froze up , i coudn't turn elevation knob ... but scope trucked( my local range is 50-300 yd), hold zero very well . I use it on 308.
A couple things i dont like in this scope- lower magnification is useless ,cuz i can't get clean edge to edge picture , due tunnel vision It disappears around X10 . Also when you changing magnification , eye relief is changing...
I have look thru new hi speed NXS X22 , between mark 4 and nxs, i coudn't tell difference in glass.

Leupold scopes track well.I own and have used Leupold scopes for over 20+ years.I don't play dial a date with my scopes,I use them for what a scope is intended to be used for and they've never let me down.I looked through NF glass and wasn't impressed.Some of their newer features are nice,but not so nice that I'd sell my Leupolds to get a NF.

I have an older 16 X fixed power MK4 that tracks perfect. I have not used any of the newer ones.

Just got a MK4 4.5-14x50 new in box. Don't know how old of stock it is, but it's not an ffp. Haven't even shot a round under it. Like the glass so far, but really haven't tested it. If it doesn't rain I plan on boxing it on Friday. I may do it in the rain if it does. Try to report back on it after that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hidesertcowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the tracking is the main issue for me. the lighter weight of the leupold has a bunch of appeal. the leupold would be close to 1# less. I just don't wanna deal with tracking issues. </div></div>

I have two 4-14x50 and both track just fine. I hear all the chatter but a lot of it is brand preference

If the Mk4 is in your price range and fits your needs, get it with no worries. They track fine. I have two of the scopes you mention and haven't had even one issue. I do highly recommend that you get the TMR with it though, especially for quick follow up shots at that distance. With the way yotes run and how easily they spook, you won't have time for dialing after the first shot is made.