• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mark5 vs NX8

tngambler

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2011
GA
Trying to decide on the Mark5 7-35 vs NX8 4-32. What is most important to me is resolution especially in the higher magnification range. Anyone have experience with both of these. I was slightly disappointed with the resolution of the Mark5 3.6-18 i received compared to my less expensive Leupold and Nightforce. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have. I've even had them side by side.

I'm not a fan of the NX8. I dont think it really hits on all the points I would expect in a Nightforce product. I think it works fine as a hunting scope, but for a competition optic, the eyebox is too tight, the DOF is too shallow, and the parallax is too finicky. You can often take the time to deal with that while hunting and set it for the one range you are shooting and be done. But the glass falls short for me as well. It looks brilliant in the middle, but the edge distortion while transitioning or panning is noticeable.

For me, that excludes the NX8 as a purchase option. Especially with so many other quality optics at that price point. I will add that I do like the 32x versus the 20x as the glass distortion only seems to occur closer to the edge.

I do think the Leupold is the better option. I have seen a couple of the 25x that weren't brilliant optically. They had a yellowish tinge to them that made them seem less bright. But I've looked through some that were pretty good. I've looked through one 35x to date that I was comparing to my 30x XTR3 and 35x ATACR. It seemed decent to 30x, but suffered some after that.

Of those two options I would take the Leupold.

Reactions: robgt00
I have. I've even had them side by side.

I'm not a fan of the NX8. I dont think it really hits on all the points I would expect in a Nightforce product. I think it works fine as a hunting scope, but for a competition optic, the eyebox is too tight, the DOF is too shallow, and the parallax is too finicky. You can often take the time to deal with that while hunting and set it for the one range you are shooting and be done. But the glass falls short for me as well. It looks brilliant in the middle, but the edge distortion while transitioning or panning is noticeable.

For me, that excludes the NX8 as a purchase option. Especially with so many other quality optics at that price point. I will add that I do like the 32x versus the 20x as the glass distortion only seems to occur closer to the edge.

I do think the Leupold is the better option. I have seen a couple of the 25x that weren't brilliant optically. They had a yellowish tinge to them that made them seem less bright. But I've looked through some that were pretty good. I've looked through one 35x to date that I was comparing to my 30x XTR3 and 35x ATACR. It seemed decent to 30x, but suffered some after that.

Of those two options I would take the Leupold.
Thanks...Damn i thought i had decided but now im not sure. like i said the Mark5 3.6-18 glass didnt seem to be a major upgrade for the price and i kind of like the Mil-xt better than the CCH. Its for shooting targets so i could live with the eyebox, i just want the best resolution and clarity at higher mag

any reason why you want the 7-35 mark 5? I do not think they are nearly as popular as the 5-25 option and I think there is a reason for that...not sure if it is strictly price or if that model just does not perform well on the upper end of that zoom range.

Reactions: Birddog6424
I do think if you are just concerned about glass, that the sweet spot on the NX8 is a little better than the MK5. I can only speak for myself when I say all the other finicky items turn me off on the NF.

I can set my parallax between 500 and 600 on my XTR3 at a PRS match and not touch it all day. I dont want to have eyebox shading because I'm not shooting g from a perfectly prone position all day and have to be fiddling with parallax all the time.

But those are my criteria. You'll have to apply your own.

Reactions: robgt00
any reason why you want the 7-35 mark 5? I do not think they are nearly as popular as the 5-25 option and I think there is a reason for that...not sure if it is strictly price or if that model just does not perform well on the upper end of that zoom range.
I just dont like being limited. Can always dial back but cant dial up when its not there. That said probably will not be past 25x anyway most of the time. Dont care about the lower power on either. Its for 1000yds + and i want as much as my eyes need if i need it. The Mark5 3.6-18 is not near enough for my eyes. Im sure it is for some people.

I know this is not what your asking but I’d get a Nightforce ATACR and be done!

If you want the best optical quality in that price range I’d suggest you look at the Minox ZP5. There is one in the PX now for $2300. Can’t beat the glass in the ZP5 at that price point. I also own a Mark 5 5-25 which has very good glass, but other than in extremely low light conditions the ZP5 blows it out of the water in every category.