• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Marlin 39a

Lineman711

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2009
TN
I know it's not a real popular model here on the hide, but I thought I'd ask you guys anyway.

A family friend has a 1971 Marlin Golden 39a, still in the box, hasn't even had a round chambered in it and he said he may be interested in selling it.

I've been looking for one for a while, but haven't really put much research into it to know what years were good, what were the best and worst years, etc.

I see that it only books for around $400, but I figure it's worth more than that judging by what they go for on gunbroker. If I do happen to buy it, it will be shot and used, because I don't have much use for safe queens.

Thank you for any info.

Re: Marlin 39a

Never heard of any bad years, it's a pre safety, which is desireable, and they're close to $500 new now. I have no idea what year they are but the three I've got are good accurate guns.

If you haven't ever owned a 39A, you owe it to yourself to try one out. They are accurate and a lot of fun to shoot and super reliable. I'm not saying it's a target rifle but plenty accurate for informal target shooting and squirrel hunting.
I'm no expert but I would say that a 71 model in the box would be fairly collectible. There are several variations and models of them made over the years. Somewhere around 1952 or 53, Marlin switched from a Ballard grooved barrel to the Micro-grooved. Also around 1985 or so, they switched to a cross-bolt type safety on the trigger and rebounding hammer which a lot of collectors and shooters don't care for. I have owned both and didn't really notice a big difference.
If you want more information, go over to rimfirecentral.com and go to the Marlin forum. Pretty much anything you'd want to know can be found there.

They are pretty easy to find for <$400. Being that it's new in box and never been shot it would bring a premium depending on the wood, a nice stock can bring extra. Either way you'll love a 39A, I ended up with one and it's probably my favorite gun to shoot. Here's a link to a few pictures I posted over at rimfire central..... http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300155

Get it. The one I had for years and shot many a rabbit, tree rat, and armadillo was one of the funnest guns to shoot as well as being accurate. One of the few guns I let go years ago that I had back. Get it and shoot the heck out of it and let us know how you like it.

A few years ago Dad's buddy had one he wanted to know what it was worth, I told him I'd offer him $250 right now. Guy ended up seeling it to a gunsmith for that same price, kind of bummed me out. They are nice little rifles....

Bill

Marlin year of manufacture maybe determined from the following list of letter/numeral prefixs to the serial number:

1946-C
1947-D
1948-E
1949-F
1950-G
1951-H
1952-J
1953-K
1954-L
1955-M
1956-N
1957-P
1958-R
1959-S
1960-T
1961-U
1962-V
1963-W
1964-Y,-Z
1965-AA
1966-AB
1967-AC
1968-AD, -68
1969-69
1970-70
1971-71
1972-72

Starting in 1973, the year of manufacture maybe determined by subtracting the first two digits of the serial number from 100:
Example: SN 2512345 would have been made in 1975 [100 - 25 = 75].

Posted from another site.

May help you guys find out when your 39a's where made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lineman711</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it's not a real popular model here on the hide, but I thought I'd ask you guys anyway.

A family friend has a 1971 Marlin Golden 39a, still in the box, hasn't even had a round chambered in it and he said he may be interested in selling it.

I've been looking for one for a while, but haven't really put much research into it to know what years were good, what were the best and worst years, etc.

I see that it only books for around $400, but I figure it's worth more than that judging by what they go for on gunbroker. If I do happen to buy it, it will be shot and used, because I don't have much use for safe queens.

Thank you for any info.</div></div>

Tell him you'll give him $100 for such a nice, but unproven gun. For all he knows it doesn't even shoot straight.

Really, you should be able to find one cheaper than $400 if you keep your eyes and ears open. I stumbled upon mine while helping my aunts friend load a moving truck, he told me I could have the thing for free, I wouldn't feel right about it so I told him to knock $100 off the bill. You just never know where one will pop up. Have you thought about running a WTB ad in the classifieds here or some other places? I imagine there are a lot of guys that have a 39A they haven't shot in a while and would let go for a fair price.

I picked up my '69 39A for $340 delivered a couple weeks ago. It is used but very clean with very few handling marks for the age. Personally I don't necessarily collect non shooters(I do have two but that’s another story) so if you are going to shoot it I don't think its worth more then a new one but I would make a fair offer if I were you and wanted it.

cool.gif

If you can swing the $$$ I say by it.. I have two. A 1956 model that I shot as a kid and a Century Model. Both are great shooters and I like having a 22 in all flavors (pump,lever,bolt,semi-auto)for the younger shooters to get introduced to the sport.. Somehow the Youngsters just get a kick out of the Levers, reminds them of the cowboy movies. Anyway you generally have no problem trading/selling the 39a should you chose to move it along in the future.
Good luck.
George of the jungle

It is not a steal. But it is a fair price. Especially for the condition. No real collector's value. The 39 is a well made, straight shooting 22 rifle. How does the wood look?? Pass it on if you do not buy it. I have a a hole in my safe and I think a 39 would fit perfectly in that hole?? Tom.

A friend sold one of these a while back and another friend bought it. Only his was one that was only a few years old. He was asking $200 for his and it was in pretty darn good shape. Had a few scratches, but nothing major. He had several guys offer him $100 as saying it was just a .22. Finally, another buddy of ours bought it for the $200, but it was for sale for a while before it sold for that. That being said, I think $200 was a steal and I've not seen another one that cheap. I was going to buy that one, but I knew my buddy showed some interest and I told him since he was the one that told me about it that he could buy it if he wanted it. If he didn't buy it I was going to. Unfortunately for me he bought it and loves it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lineman711</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it's not a real popular model here on the hide, but I thought I'd ask you guys anyway.</div></div>

??? The Marlin 39a is one of the most popular and fun to shoot .22 rifles. I bought one for each of my 3 kids.

You know if you get the 39a, you will also have to find a 3-screw Single Six and a cowboy holster so you'll be a well heeled squirrel hunter.

I saw a couple at the Fishersville gun show in the $400 range, the Roanoke/Salem shows usually have a few of them too, of course if you are looking for one they never seem to be there.

I think that accurate is an understatement. The two I shot were breathtaking. Also very shootable in the field, as they "hang" well in the offhand.

A 1971 39a "new in the box" is worth $400 I say buy it for that if you can........ It would bring more $ on gb for sure. I have been looking around at gun shows and the ones I'm seeing are in the $350- $450 range and are not in good enough conditiom to follow me home.

i have a "Mountie" that i bought new in 1970...as far as accuracy would not trade it for anything else..its killed more squirrels that you could put on a 1/2 ton pickup trk