• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Marlin 880 SQ in AICS

BlackWhiskey

USMC
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2009
Salt Lake County, Utah
P1010940.jpg

Let me begin by saying that I am not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer who had an idea.

I have always loved the look and feel of the AICS and have seen some people do some pretty amazing things with airsoft rifles: Link. So I decided to try my hand at putting together a Savage MKII FV-SR and an airsoft imitation AI. The rifle and the stock were both easily and inexpensively acquired, but the work that took place there after was anything but easy. After two weeks, hours of dremeling, bondo fiberglass work, and a giant mess in my shed, I had a working, but ugly, 22lr in an imitation AICS.

After doing this I knew that there had to be an easier way to get a .22lr bolt gun into an airsoft AICS. I began searching the web for bolt action 22's with simple footprints, and a chassis that wasn't skeltonized plastic. I finally settled on the Marlin 880 SQ for $250 and a Wells G-96 airsoft rifle (which I was able to getfor $25 since the actual rifle was nonfunctional).

When I got home, I immediately set to work, and 20 minutes later, I was done. No mess, and no bondo. Just a little dremel work. (The scope is on loan from a friend until my DIP dovetail/weaver rail adapter comes in. The tape is there to keep these junk rings from marring the scope.)

P1010936.jpg

P1010932.jpg

P1010929.jpg

Here I had to extend the bolt recess to facilitate the Marlin's bolt which was about 3/4" further forward than the original. I also had to cut a 1/8"x1/2" recess for the safety on the top of the skins as well. You may have noticed the missing skin screw in this picture, and the reason for that is the rear action screw is directly inline with the skin screw, making it impossible to insert. I was able to get in all the others without issue.

P1010928.jpg

Here I cut a recess in the aluminum chassis to allow the rear action screw to meet the action properly.

P1010935.jpg

The last bit was just boring out the hole that was already in place for the front action screw. Pretty simple stuff.

P1010937.jpg

P1010931.jpg

I have to say that I am plesantly surprised with how this project turned out. I haven't found the ammo she likes best yet, but she shoots CCI Green Tag about as good as anything I've seen.

P1010925.jpg

Re: Marlin 880 SQ in AICS (airsoft)

Both of your builds were a joy to shoot. Who knew .22's could be so much dang fun! looking forward to the comp in December! hope Savage can get my TR fixed up in time...

Looks like it was easier than the one i did for my CZ
smile.gif
- Welcome to the .22lr AI club

( too bad i have to squish the hell out of my cheek to get a good sight picture ) ( higher rings will fix that
smile.gif
)

Good job BlackWhiskey. Someone must of hooked you up with a good deal on that rifle. . . .
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RemOperator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good job BlackWhiskey. Someone must of hooked you up with a good deal on that rifle. . . .
wink.gif
</div></div>

Indeed sir! You are the man... I'm glad you'll be there on the 3rd for sure now. It wouldn't be half as BA without you!

Ironic! I have just learned about the marlin 880 squirrel and am on the pursuit to acquire one myself....

How's it shoot for you?

Haha that is awesome! I just saw that someone else had done that and converted the magazines to house their 17 HMR mags. Unbelievable what some people can accomplish with a little creativity.

That looks awsome. I want to do the same but with a hand made wooden version of the stock and a xt22vr.

apparently, drill an extra hole or two in the metal block to match your action, trim off some plastic to have the bolt fit and your good to go.

i don't know much of airsoft rifles + stocks but if it really is that simple, that opens a whole new world of stocks that could be put on rimfires.

does anyone know if just the aluminum block is available? a set of viper skins should be able to fit on just as well as the original stock.

on the AI's, will a leftie be able to utilize the thumbhole as well as a rightie? in other words is it ambidextrous for a left handed grip?

this 880 project is great.

This has to be one of the absolute coolest 22s Ive ever seen. Great work on it sure is cool to see ingenuity and people creating such awsome stuff.

this is my new direction. after kicking around a purchase of a CZ or building a 40X (but funds will not allow + my lack of patience a bigger contributor), going to put in an order for a Marlin XT22VR with the intent of wrapping it in an airsoft stock, probably an AICS.

the OP shows it's not really that difficult, probably more user friendly and affordable than the boyds tacticool, with "the look" to match.

pricing "stuff" now.

Anybody got a source for the airsoft AICS at a good price?

Re: Marlin 880 SQ in AICS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whole gun for $80. Its an L96 stock though.

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AR-AGM-AWP-002.htm
</div></div>

gathert, the rifle you posted the link to has no metal chasis and is simply skeletonized plastic. I tried using this stock on my first project and it was a major pain.

The rifle/stock I used was a non-functional Well G96 that I got for $25. It has the aluminum chassis and is easy to work with.

Yeah I just checked it too. I bet if you look on craig's list or some local classifies (or even go into an airsoft store) you may be able to find one for a decent deal.

thanks for the info, i was worried that the hinge / folder version may present a bit more of slop than acceptable.

thanks too on the tip of the just plastic versions (without the aluminum block). without that block it seems somewhat useless to pursue the conversion.

and again, your rifle looks great.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad I could be of some help to you. I've read many of your posts and have gleaned a great deal of very useful information.

where is the magazine? can you show a picture of it in the gun? does the skin completely cover the mag and you have to reach up to drop it out?

Unfortunately I sold the gun so I can't take pictures of it with a mag inserted. The 10rd mad cleared the bottom of the skins easily and I had no issues ejecting or inserting magazines.

Does anybody know if a Marlin XT-series rifle can be used in palce of the 880 for this same project? It looks like the XTs are the only rimfire bolt guns Marlin currently offers. Any info would be helpful.

I have an 880SQ that I have been thinking of doing something like this too. This might be a project worth looking into.

Just ordered a Well G96 folder (entire rifle with "defective bolt" for $99 plus $3 handling) from the AirSplat scrap yard. I'm going to go find myself a new Marlin XT22VR and a picatinny mount (http://kinneysshootingsupply.com/marlin-picatinny-rail-dp15014-p-1304.html) and get this project rolling.

I'll be sure to post the results of my stock work and of my shooting results (it may take a couple of weeks). If it shoots as well as the Savage TR I've been working with, I'll probably sell the Savage (both of my centerfire long-range rifles use A.I.C.S. units, so it'd be great if my rimfire did, too).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WTW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just doing some looking do you think this rifle might work to canabalize the stock? I would hate to spend $170 to find out it wouldnt work.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/976173/...er-army-digital
</div></div>

I'd stick with the Well G96 rifle. I've been doing some research in these forums and it seems that the Well airsoft gun is the only one that's been confirmed to include a stock with an aluminum skeleton. You can check for one here:

http://www.airsplat.com/Categories/SCRAP-YARD.htm

Near the top of the list you should find a few items with the title "WELL G96 AWM Gas Airsoft Sniper Rifle". That's what I just ordered.

here here on the g96.

there is a savage mkii thread that i think used it, Savage MKII IN AIRSOFT AICS unless i missed it, there is no mention of what stock was actually used.

i did converse with the WOODGUY through PMs, but can't remember if it had the aluminum chassis.

but i do like the idea of having the open area in the bottom where the airsoft magazine goes that the G96 is confrimed to have. i think / know that it takes no additional filling, you can gut out and trim the airsoft mag to fit in for looks, and i like the idea of those finger halfmoons to access the magazine.

you also get some "extras" in the box depending of course on an individual basis. i got a very cheap generic 3-9 scope, 2 sets of rings, a 30 to 1" scope tube spacer set, the tri rail thingie on front. some may actually have the bipod with it.

although i thought the stock was going to the same quality as a watergun, i was truely surprised when it was in my hands, perhaps the bipod is the same way and at the very least a spare one to have around.

the only bad thing about the popularity of the conversion now is that my, blackwhiskey, and the woodguy's rifles aren't going to be so different anymore
laugh.gif

but seriously i love mine, and for the price compared to a tacticool with having to buy BM, it made my decision easier.

the viperskins...i can only ASSume they will fit as the 96 supposedly is to the same dimentions as the original stock. so if they fit the real one, they should fit this one....but i don't have the $ to take that gamble.

maybe a rotary tool and some epoxy, or devcon for filling and one of these could be made into a "homemade" viperskin look and feel.

some other sites to check out:

http://www.evike.com/index.php?cPath=21_504
http://www.airsplat.com/Categories/SCRAP-YARD.htm
http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/Airsoft_Gun_Boneyard_s/65.htm
http://www.airrattle.com/Boneyard_Airsoft_Gun_s/24.htm
http://www.airsoftgi.com/index.php?cPath=275
http://www.trinityairsoft.com/c-205-airsoft-boneyard.aspx

when you see one, you have to axt quickly, the next day they are gone.

Just a quick update for anyone interested. I received my Well G96 airsoft rifle and the stock (a copy of the A.I.C.S. 2.0 with aluminum chasis) impressed me quite a bit.

The skins were held in place not only by the normal bolts that we're used to seeing, but also by cross pins. Because of this, it was hard to remove the skins the first time (it literally took over an hour of very patient pulling). However, once the skins were off, I removed the cross pins (had to use plyers) and then bolted the skins back in place. The pins are not required at all as the skins are held in place very, very firmly by the standard bolts in the stock.

The other issue was that the rear portion of the chasis was a bit wobbly where it attached to the hinge. This part of the chasis - a length of (square) aluminum tubing - mates with a metal arm, or nub (it's about 1.5" long), at the rear of the hinge (it fits the tube's inner diameter). Once in place, two opposing screws hold the pieces together (for a nice, strong setup). There was a small gap between the face of the chasis tube and the face of the hinge itself, and this caused the wobbling. A couple of shims made from a soda can fixed the problem and now she's solid as a rock (the shims are held very solidly in place, pressed between the face of the chasis and the face of the hinge).

I've got the varmint version of the Marlin XT22 on order (heavy barrel, no sights). I've also got a rail, a scope, rings, a harris bipod and five spare mags. I can't wait to get my hands on the rifle and mate it to the stock - I'm sure this is gonna be one sweet setup.

Guys I know that know one has posted to this forum for a while, but I am interested on seeing how everyone did their magazine release. Did everyone fit a factory magazine into the airsoft magazine so that it looks like the real thing after deactivating the factory magazine release and using the airsoft magazine release. Or is everyone still using the factory magazine release and taking the airsoft magazine release out.

i gave it a try with the CZ, the opposing factory release and the aics release made it a nightmare to work. i took out the factory release, but there was too much play with just about anything i did (that was reversable) to keep the magazine seated or reload without fumbling around.

in one of the other conversion threads, there was one setup that the guy ran a jumper linkage from the aics release to the factory release on either a marlin or savage to release the factory mag from the aics release, but the factory mag wasn't inside the aics mag.

i'm sure it could be done, but with lots of jerry rigging, and if it does actually work, there will be some "Just right" placement and some shimming for it to stay in place for the rounds to feed correctly.

Photo bucket changed their policies on third party hosting a year or two ago. Went from being free (I think) to quite spendy and not many people were happy with the change. As a result, many older pics on forums have been lost.