• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marlin XT-22VR user review.

LongHogger

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2011
Willamstown,PA
Wanted to say thanks to everyone on this site first and foremost for being so knowledgeable about a plethora of areas.I have learned a lot of information and i look forward to learning more as time goes on.

Yesterday on friday, i picked up a firearm after attempting to do a lot of research on the firearm, and not finding a lot of help on the subject. So for the price, i just bit the proverbial bullet, and picked it up. I had a scope sitting at home and a set of brand new Warne high rings that i was saving for something, but not sure so i put them on this. Yes the scope is not the greatest, but for a .22LR it should hold me until i get more saved up and do more research on that section. So far i am not able to get to the range so this will have to be a 2-3 post section, but weather pending, monday will be a trip to my hunting camp with a 75-100 yard range. Well anywho, on to a few pics i snapped tonight.
NewMarlin001.jpg

This is how it sits now, all factory (for now) with a (yes i know) Barska 6-24x scope i had sitting in my safe collecting dust, also sitting with a Caldwell (again had it in the safe) swiveling notched leg bi-pod.
NewMarlin002.jpg

NewMarlin003.jpg

two screws located infront of and behind the magazine take the barrel and assembly out of the stock, and yes the gun is fully free floated.
NewMarlin005.jpg

a pic of the new marlin adjustable trigger, it is a very nice set up.
NewMarlin006.jpg

NewMarlin007.jpg

As you can see, the hex nut/allen key right below the screw (above in pics) is how the weight is adjusted. it is adjustable between 3-5 pounds and there is not too much creep or weight from factory.
NewMarlin008.jpg

marlin standard bent metal extractor pieces.
NewMarlin011.jpg

This is a very strange part i did not notice at first, it is what keeps the barrel and action aligned in the stock to make sure it is not touching anywhere, but it is not fixed to the barrel itself.. pretty interesting to me.

Well that is all for now, sorry for the long winded post but hope the pics kept some of you entertained. more will follow monday if all goes as i hope it does, i have 3-4 different ammo to try in this and i will post pics of that day too!

Re: Marlin XT-22VR user review.

can't wait for your range report, i hope the weather cooperates. if all is well at 100 yards, by tuesday i'll have my own on order (a quote of $205.00 out the door through my dealer)

i'm actually online now on another window picking out a cheek piece and base @ DIP, rings and a possible acceptable scope @ optics planet, and a bolt knob elsewhere.

thanks for the picture of the bottom, (had to look past the hottie on the TV) it shows how wide that forearm is.

i've handled the sporter barreled version, IMO the palm swells make the plastic stock much nicer to grip and in combination with the higher comb is nicer compared to the Savage MKII FV for scope use.

(VERY grateful for the information and your offer in another thread).

it must be a pennsylvania thing - ya know us coal crackers...

i'm picking out scopes now for the VR i may order depending on how longhogger makes out today.

i have off due to MLK day, i actually should be at the range now. it's 6 deg and breeze is kicking up - hopefully longhogger is as much of a wuss as i and is heading out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it must be a pennsylvania thing - ya know us coal crackers...

i'm picking out scopes now for the VR i may order depending on how longhogger makes out today.

i have off due to MLK day, i actually should be at the range now. it's 6 deg and breeze is kicking up - hopefully longhogger is as much of a wuss as i and is heading out. </div></div>

well i made it out for about an hour today, and boy did it BLOW.. literally, at my camp the winds were blowing from left to right varying from 5-10MPH.. i do believe a few branches fell off the trees around me.. or i might have shot them off not sure lol. but i did get it shooting good for me for now, i need to do a better test while my face, hands, and feet are not numb, and also need to get a better scope asap. but anyhow, here are the targets.
iphonepics010.jpg

This is just the cheap federal blue box ammo shot from about 100-105 yards away, not exactly sure but it was a heck of a walk up to the target over icy snowy rocks and downed trees.
iphonepics011.jpg

This is a 10 shot group of CCI Minimag RN shot at the same distance, fairly good but while being shot, the winds were the worst during the whole time there. The set up was a very hurried set up, mainly i was shooting off of a picnic table that was covered in ice off of a bipod while unsupported in the rear, so i imagine if it was benched while supported in the rear (possibly saturday) it would be a heck of a lot better.. plus an upgraded scope wouldnt help haha. well thats it for now.. more testing and ammo still need to be shot through this to make sure how she is.

thanks for posting what you have done so far, the wind drift is evident.

still and all, new rifle, bulk type ammo, unsupported in rear, wind = not bad.
i will have to wait until next week to decide to place the order after seeing the results of your next trip.

i for one really appreciate your effort in posting them up.

I ended up ordering the same bipod, waiting for it to come in

I just bought an XT-22 sporter barrel. I took it out 2 weeks ago, and it shot 1 ragged hole at 50 yards using CCI subsonics. It was a calm day and I too was shooting off a picknick table with bags.
So for a thick sporter barrel, it's a real shooter!

I handled one at the show over the weekend. I really like the way it fits my hand and the groove in the stock where I always rest my thumb. I wish it carried over to their laminate stocks.

Nice rifle. I still haven't put mine through it's paces. I was going to shoot it a bunch while upgrading stuff slowly but haven't had any time. Now nearly all of my upgrade parts are here so I'll have it all done by the time I can get to shoot it. Hoping this weekend if I can make some time. The weather is supposed to get nice out, around 30 for a high on Saturday their saying so here's hoping.

i do take alot of responsibility for the poor shooting/grouping, i was getting very cold during that session, and dumb me only went out in a hoodie, so noone to blame but myself, and maybe mother nature, who knows. Hopefully Saturday or Sunday, if time and weather allows, i will be loading up the good ole subie and taking it back down to camp to try it out on sand bags front and rear, hopefully the ice on the table melted by now. If anyone has any ammo that they would like me to try out, and if i have it at work, ill be more than happy to grab a box and try it for you all.

Fellas, keep in mind the target he's using is meant for the 25/50 yard positional competitions, that 10 ring is around 1"

And this was shot at ~100-105 yards with inexpensive ammo, in far from ideal conditions. That is some DAMN fine shooting with the CCI group.

I for one would like to see what happens when you run some quality match ammo through it in better conditions.

Well I guess you have all heard about the known quality defects that the first XT-22's had, crooked dovetails, scope mount holes not square with the receiver, and some of the stocks weren't fit up right. But either i just got lucky or they have improved their quality control, because the only thing I didn't like about my rofle was that the sights are real junk. Other than that, it is a sweet little rifle.
For a tube feed sporter barrel, it is really accurate in stock form. I installed a new Nikon 4X32 Prostaff because I got a good deal on it. I would need a much better scope for long range shooting but for the purpose I bought it for, it will be OK for now.
I am going to get another XT-22 as soon as i can with the varmit barrel and that will be my target long range rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rifleman1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I guess you have all heard about the known quality defects that the first XT-22's had, crooked dovetails, scope mount holes not square with the receiver, and some of the stocks weren't fit up right.</div></div>

Yes i have heard of the issues/problems that Marlin has recently been having, ever since being purchased by Remington/ Freedom Arms Group. Working for a major retailer in the north east here, ive seen some very nice working marlins come through, and some that look like they were thrown together in about 5 minutes, with milling grooves still in the chamer/reciever, stocks that look like they were fitted by 3 year olds, and also sights that were crooked to the point you had to nearly lean the gun over to the left or right to use them. but knowing the risks i decided to bite on it, and see what happens for me. my other marlin in .17HMR is a tack driver, so hopefully with more testing at the range, fiddling with the profire trigger (most likely will be done tonight) and ofcourse an upgraded scope. Hopefully friday at work, i will pick up a box of CCI standard velo. and also a box of remington Eley rounds (seeing is thats the only brand that my work carry's as far as "match" ammo goes) and provided that it does not snow saturday or sunday, i will return to my camp and hopefully shoot something that will make me proud to be on here with so many good shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongHogger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rifleman1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I guess you have all heard about the known quality defects that the first XT-22's had, crooked dovetails, scope mount holes not square with the receiver, and some of the stocks weren't fit up right.</div></div>

Yes i have heard of the issues/problems that Marlin has recently been having, ever since being purchased by Remington/ Freedom Arms Group. Working for a major retailer in the north east here, ive seen some very nice working marlins come through, and some that look like they were thrown together in about 5 minutes, with milling grooves still in the chamer/reciever, stocks that look like they were fitted by 3 year olds, and also sights that were crooked to the point you had to nearly lean the gun over to the left or right to use them. but knowing the risks i decided to bite on it, and see what happens for me. my other marlin in .17HMR is a tack driver, so hopefully with more testing at the range, fiddling with the profire trigger (most likely will be done tonight) and ofcourse an upgraded scope. Hopefully friday at work, i will pick up a box of CCI standard velo. and also a box of remington Eley rounds (seeing is thats the only brand that my work carry's as far as "match" ammo goes) and provided that it does not snow saturday or sunday, i will return to my camp and hopefully shoot something that will make me proud to be on here with so many good shooters. </div></div>

I hope you got a good one Hogger! Like I said, my XT is a really nice well made rifle. Be sure and let us know how good she shoots, and post a target pick if you can.
When it warms up here I will do the same!Did you get the heavy barrel varmit style, or the plain XT?

he has the VR, which is the heavy barreled version. i think the V is for "varmint" an the R for "rifle".

there's alot out there about wierd stuff QC wise with the XT, but you usually hear about the bad stuff, and hardly the good.

maybe they just had a bad run, maybe it's a hit and miss thing. lots of bad stuff reported about the savage MKII TR also (at almost twice the cost), but interestingly those things seems to have slipped out of the spotlight.

i picked up a box of .22LR CCI Standard Velocity today at work, and lastnite i adjusted the trigger as far down as i can go, and i must say.. wow is this actually a nice trigger now, it is roughly at about 3LBS (no tigger gauge to make sure), so hopefully the new ammo, and the adjusted trigger, coupled with the solid bench rest and rear bags should get me a respectable grouping at my range. Also, TP, maybe one day we could get together after you get your VR, if you decided to get one, for a little range day. hey, an hour and 45 mins isnt that bad of a drive for me hah.

Longhogger have you had a chance to defrost and play some more?
When you did your trigger did you take it apart/swap springs or just adjust it to the bottom of the factory settings?

Thanks still just waiting for delivery on mine.

Long...

I'm curious on how that bipod is working for you. I've read at least one post elsewhere of a user with a mag version of the XT-22 breaking the molded sling mount on their synthetic stock with a bipod mounted to it. They used some part from the harris bipod accessories section at brownells, assumingly part no. 416-102-100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Longhogger have you had a chance to defrost and play some more?
When you did your trigger did you take it apart/swap springs or just adjust it to the bottom of the factory settings?

Thanks still just waiting for delivery on mine.</div></div>

Sorry i had almost forgotten about this thread, being busy with work and other items around the home, and making plans for a fullsize centerfire Tikka build. but hopeully next weekend, i am off i should be able to reach out to the range and do a bit more shooting with it in the warmth. As far as the trigger adjustment goes, i just took it down to the bare minimum of the factory adjustment, no swapping springs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperSmurf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long...

I'm curious on how that bipod is working for you. I've read at least one post elsewhere of a user with a mag version of the XT-22 breaking the molded sling mount on their synthetic stock with a bipod mounted to it. They used some part from the harris bipod accessories section at brownells, assumingly part no. 416-102-100.</div></div>

The bipod is working fine, holding up no problems, i just make sure not to he-man it to the point it cracks off. You just need to be gentle with it, its not steel or anything. it is possible i might be upgrading it soon, before i start off on the new tikka rig, to a boyds tacticool stock. but we shall see. so many projects, so little time.

Thanks for the follow up! If you'll excuse my curiosity, which caldwell bipod is that? I'm wanting to pick up something simple and inexpensive for goofing around at the range and that I can easily swap out between my Xt-22MR and my Mod 60SN.

For giggles and grins, this is what my fiancée and I produced with my XT-22MR on its first trip to the range this Sunday for zeroing. Temp around mid-50s with 5-7mph winds coming from south (down range is due north). Winds picked up around 2pm and shifted from s to WNW and grew to 15-20mph with gusts to 25-30mph. I called it quits around 1550 hours when accuracy tanked even at 25 yards due to wind and I took a face full of sand.

XT-22MR-Range2.jpg

Break down of coloring and targets.

First off, green circles = shotgun spray from the stall next to me. Holes off paper are from previous shooters/targets today.

Rounds used were CCI Maxi-Mag TMJ 40 grain and Federal Champion FMJ 40 grain.

Top Left or Teal ring = two 5 round groupings, 1 at 50 yds (Federals) and 1 at 100 yds (CCIs), with little to no wind.

Top Right or yellow ring = one 5 round grouping at 50 yds (CCIs) with wind at 10-15mph

Middle Left or blue ring = one 5 round grouping at 50 yds (Federal) little to no wind.

Middle Right or orange rings = one 5 round spread at 50 yds (CCIs) with 15-20mph winds

Bottom Left or purple ring = one 5 round grouping at 50 yds (Federal) no wind.

Bottom Right or red ring = one 5 round grouping (Federal) getting familiar with gun.

Myself and my fiancée were shooting, with myself aiming for the TL, TR, and ML targets and her at BR (thus getting familiar...were her first shots with the XT), MR, and BL.

If I read right, you're using the 22lr version of the XT-22. Wish I could do that at 100 yds with my model 60!

I've been also lurking here for a little, so I'm a little intrigued by your tikka build you mention. I'm looking at a T3 lite in 270 as a first centerfire. Both myself and my fiancée really felt comfortable with it when looking one over at Sportsmans Warehouse. Still torn somewhat on the caliber though, but my soon to be father-in-law is strongly recommending the 270 for starters.

shotgun spray/overspray/missed targets hitting mine always irk me, thats why i am blessed to have my own shooting range at my camp. the T3 project wont be posted for a few weeks yet, but when it is, i will give you a link to it in the bolt action section.

The bipod is a caldwell notch legged bipod i had in the safe that i would put onto one of my AR's when i went to the range, or last year when i went to Maine for coyote/snow shoe hare.. you can see the pelts hanging beside my tv in the earlier pics.

Still waiting for the release of mu new xt22vr and hope to have it before the rlection gunban

I am here in the philippines. Anybody good buddies stay here? Im so eager to get hold of the unit. In here the most popular round is remington. Not much as to cci.