• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MARLINS i'm not seeing allot of love

nfngun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2011
NY
WOW i'm not seeing allot of love for marlins here on Snipers.

Re: MARLINS i'm not seeing allot of love

They haven't made anything worth wasting money on in quite a while. seems quality went out the window years ago

I was lucky enough to get a couple good 795's some years back, and after doing the "trigger spring" job on my 925, it has been quite the shooter with the low profile peep sights I put on it. Actually won some small town matches with it a couple times.

I do like the vintage Marlins. I own three Model 80's and they are shooters. One is actually a Sears & Roebuck from 1964 and has the grooved reciever where now rides a Simmons .22 Mag scope 3-9x32 A/O. It's a very good 100 yard rifle. The other two are the 80-DL's, though only one has the peep sight, while the other has open iron. Still, they are very accurate rifles - most likely from the late 40's to 1950's?

So I do like a good Marlin. I just wish they hadn't sold out to Remington simply because I'm still smarting over that .22lr Viper 522 from back in the '90's...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only fresh water fish.</div></div>

^^^^^THAT'S FUNNY SHIT RIGHT THERE!!!

i actually love marlins. i have a .22 mag for hunting i wouldn't change for anything.

i think the biggest thing (and this is coming from a big and long time savage fan) is that other rimfire offerings have the kind of bling (options) that marlin has not really offered - until the release of the new XT series.

i put an ol' model 25 against a mkii f model at 50 and 100 yards, the timeless 25 not only outshot it with several different ammos, but came very close to the performance of a heavy barreled mkii. the 25 is the forefather of the 925, and the 925 is the forefather of the new XT line.

plus i think the marlins have a reputation of being "grandpa's squirrel rifle" and not taken as seriously as others in the realm of a target rifle or a training platform. plus the vision of lever actioned rifles pops into the mind when marlin is mentioned. IMO the lack of a heavy barreled model kept it out of the same type of platform - again until the recent unveiling of the XTVR - of which i will be putting an order in for come next week.

in addition to the heavy barreled actions and new more "ergo" stocks ( both wood and synthetic) the new XT's come with an adjustable trigger - something savage had circa 2007, which contributes to the success of the mkii. plus the addition of savages different stocks has produced a particular "flavor" of rimfire for any tastes and contributes to their dominance over the last several years.

now with the new XT, the gap has closed, and there's no doubt marlin will be a new found "love" for the marlin.

even though marlin was consumed by remington, remington itself was consumed by the freedom group (a large conglomerate of multiple companies) a few years back. so is a marlin still a marlin? just as much as a remington is still considered a remington.

the addition of more "trinkets" that fit marlin are being produced more often, allowing them to be more customized than ever before and modify it to a shooter's style, and their attractiveness.

now with the new XT line came some QC issues, but there are still QC issues the rear it's head with the savage mkii's. for whatever reason, it seems the mkii's get a reprieve, but the marlins get crucified. on average the mkii's of a comparable model with the XT's are a 1/3 more expensive - once the XT cuts it's teeth and the well known QC issues are rectified, i do believe you will see a ton of new found love for this line of rimfires.

i'll also predict you'll see a more tactical type of model much like the savage TR or CZ manners tactical model, which would no doubt allow more shooters to put the XT in their hearts along with their other "loves", and at a price that is very affordable.

as more of the XT's get into more folks hands, you'll see a resurgence in the marlin product.

(MARLIN IF YOU ARE READING THIS, PLEASE SEND THE CHECK OR RIFLE FOR REVIEW TO.....)
smile.gif

We'll given that Remington took over I'm hoping they can get there crap together i did pick up a fresh 795SS North Haven barrel built in May field and the thing shoots awesome after some TLC .. the new bolt action unfortunately not so much waiting to get it back from warranty repair.

Will say there are more and more options beginning to manifest. There is a great spring kit to drop trigger pull out for the 60 and 795s that can be had. Do a search for MCarbo. He also has a spring that works with 25's 800 and 900 series rifles. New Boyd s stocks for marlins are out ...

I'd like to see them coming out of Ilion hopefully glitch free.

I guess all the mods for all the other offerings have kept marlin in the background they did make a great .22 hope with some innovation they come back strong and i can see more mods down the road.

Only freshwater? You must be land locked!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only freshwater? You must be land locked! </div></div>

Sure am but have the fortune of allot of public land and small lakes here in the upper midwest. I get white on lake Michigan in a swirl so probably for the best.

Well I will find out soon. I wanted another .22 not necessarily as a dedicated trainer to mimic my match rifle, just a do-it-all rifle that was as accurate as I could use in the field and with a better fit than a lot of the rimfires out there.

I went with the heavy barrel Marlin and the only change I plan right out of the shoot is to shorten the barrel down to the minimum (think it is 21" or 22"). I have a DNZ mount ordered and a 2x7 Nikon Rimfire with the BDC reticle enroute. I had put in an order on the Boyd Rimfire hunter but after hearing more about the Marlin stock being significantly better than the OEM tupperware on the Savage I might not necessarily make the change.

For the actual action and potential accuracy it appears the Savage and Marlin are fairly comparible, the more ergonomic stock was the final kicker on going with the Marlin. $180 plus shipping is not hurting it either.
smile.gif

Honestly, all of the rimfires i have in my safe right now, all 4 of them are Marlin firearms, both .22 and .17HMR. my newest being the marlin XT-22VR which i think under the conditions of december/january in PA shot very well, and is a great made firearm. i have no problem owning, shooting, selling, and letting others handle my marlins. i know my .17HMR (Model 917V heavy barrel, wood stock) shoots dime size holes at 100YDS (if memory serves me correctly) with the .17gr. Vmax rounds. not sure what the other .22 bolt action i have is, one is an old 81DL that i need to rebarrel, and honestly forgot i had another .22 marlin lol.

If anyone on here ever asked me what i thought of the new marlin xt line up, I could honestly say with 100% confidence that for the price they are at. they are a hell of a shooter. mine most likely shoots better than i do. im trying to decide if there is a way for me to remedy this myself with something like spray foam or maybe inlet a metal bar or something inside of the stock on the mill, or just save the aggrivation and pick up the Boyds tacticool stock for it and call it a day.

One thing i will note on the XT-22VR that i have (heavy barrel, synthetic stock with wide fore end) The front of the stock, with a bipod seems, i do not want to use flimsy or soft, but its not as rigid as some people may like/be accustomed to with a fullsize centerfire rifle.

I have a 917 in 17hmr that will almost keep up with my 40x accuracy wise. only thing i dont like about it is the trigger, which i plan on changing out this year

I love my Marlin 2000. I wish they still made them. It came with a factory "proof target" which consisted of 10 shots in a .22 caliber hole at 25 yards. It came with Williams target sights. I had no problem repeating the 10 shot through one hole using the sights. I have mounted a scope on it, but as of yet haven't found a mount I am too happy with. I have had it for over 15 years and it still shoot great. A few years ago, I painted the stock black making it my "Black Marlin" as the original blue always bothered me. I think thinking of installing some flush cups and using my TIS Biathlon sling with it when I get home later this month. I have also considered bedding the action. It is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. It will shoot about 1 MOA at 100 yards with good ammo. It always seems to amaze people when I am at the range. I enjoy shooting it most out past 100 yards. It probably wouldn't out shoot anyones Anshutz, but it doesn't too too bad.

DSC04877-1.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette

I have a 917v. I wish I would have started with a savage.

I've made the marlin the way i want it; tacticool stock, rifle basix trigger, cut n crown barrel.

The savage action seems a little smoother, the trigger is miles ahead, and fit/finish seems better.

My brother's 25 is quite a shooter. My kids' 915Y is decent, too.

I looked at the XT, and liked the stock and the fact that it was basically an updated 25, but the trigger actually sucked, and the bolt doesn't seem as substantially made as the Savage MKII.

Was nice enough all around, I thought about getting one, but a comparable MKII costs a similar amount, and I like the action of the bolt and trigger better, so that's the route I took on my most recent .22lr acquisition.

DIP Inc makes a nice picatinny that will fit that action.
same one fits, 25, 800 900 series 22, 22mags and 17s since they are basically the same action.

DSC04877-1.jpg
[/quote]

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. I see they make one with a 25 moa cant which will work out well.

Guess it will depend on how far you plan too shoot. if the elevation on your scope isn't taped out the 0 should be fine if you plan to shoot further grab the 25.

LMAO! The viper was my first introduction to semi auto .22s thank god there are other options ... Remington has there work cut out for them in order to get marlin back to where it should be. Out of personal experience its hit or miss lately the oldies are still goodies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was lucky enough to get a couple good 795's some years back, and after doing the "trigger spring" job on my 925, it has been quite the shooter with the low profile peep sights I put on it. Actually won some small town matches with it a couple times.

I do like the vintage Marlins. I own three Model 80's and they are shooters. One is actually a Sears & Roebuck from 1964 and has the grooved reciever where now rides a Simmons .22 Mag scope 3-9x32 A/O. It's a very good 100 yard rifle. The other two are the 80-DL's, though only one has the peep sight, while the other has open iron. Still, they are very accurate rifles - most likely from the late 40's to 1950's?

So I do like a good Marlin. I just wish they hadn't sold out to Remington simply because I'm still smarting over that .22lr Viper 522 from back in the '90's... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LMAO! The viper was my first introduction to semi auto .22s thank god there are other options ... Remington has there work cut out for them in order to get marlin back to where it should be. Out of personal experience its hit or miss lately the oldies are still goodies.</div></div>

My god, they got you too!

Yes, thank goodness there are better semi autos on the market.

Here ya go Joe... shes vintage alright. This Model 80 or 81, I'm still not sure which, was in the back of my dad's gun cabinet all my life and served as the "beater" I learned how to bed with a couple of years ago. Also hand sanded the stock and refinished it, cleaned up the metal, got rid of the slam fire, and fixed it so it'd feed from the magazine. Now if I could just find a safety for it. I ordered one from Numrich a while back, but it wasn't the right one and I haven't tried again. If I ever find one then maybe I'll work on getting the trigger a little lighter. Just got a set of 30mm rings for it, so now it's wearing a 3-9x42 SS. It's surprisingly accurate but above all, was fun to work on and is fun to shoot.

IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4320.jpg

IMG_6160.jpg

IMG_6170.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette

might as well throw up some marlin pictures too,

my 882 .22 mag
22MAGRFCPVIEWJPG.jpg

2010FALLTURKEYINFIELDPIC.jpg

01-17-20116SQUIRREL.jpg

22MAGANDGROUSE10-16-2010-WORDEDJPG.jpg

READYAIMOPEN.jpg

brother in lasw's 882 .22 mag (paint by me)
MARLINPAINTJOB025.jpg

brother in law's 25 .22lr
marlin25.jpg

Nice looking vintage S&R Boudin. Mine looks pretty much the same. Like you and Top Predator, I'm going to have to post a picture or two myself.
smile.gif

Here's my 1964 Sears & Roebuck (Marlin 80) with a Simmons .22Mag Scope 3-9x32 A/O... Also, I need to get the swiffer out! didn't ralize how dusty it was under this chair.
shocked.gif

001-11-1.jpg

I've got the Marlin 60 that was given to me on my 11th birthday, as well as a 25N that is one hell of a shooter.

Nothing real special, but it's got a threaded muzzle and bolt knob
cool.gif

Marlin001.jpg

Marlin003.jpg

Do any of y'all have experience with the Rifle Basix trigger for the earlier model Marlins, like the one I have? I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if mine weighed out to 8 lbs or so. You gotta stand on it to get it to get the joker to break.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/854041/...b-to-2-lb-black

And Joe if you have a chance, could you take a picture of your safety/trigger assembly from the right side (out of the stock)? I want to replace the safety on mine but after getting the wrong one once, I think it would help to see what the parts look like and how they are oriented before I order any more parts. It looks like our guns are almost identical, other than the rear of your striker being squared and mine being pointed. Does yours not have a removable mag or is it just not in the picture? Thanks.

There would be more love if my Xt-22VR would ever get here!! Been waiting for a couple weeks already with no delivery day in sight. Davidsons does not know when they will get more.

Thanks a lot for taking those Joe, they do help. It looks like our models are a little different than I thought. I don't have any holes in the right side of the receiver for the two screws that are holding the safety and safety spring together on your model. Here's what mine looks like... it's been like this ever since it was given to my dad 30+ years ago.

IMG_6184.jpg

If anyone's Marlin looks like this under the hood, I'd really appreciate a picture of how the safety is set up. Thanks.

there's pictures here, although newer models. looks as if the post and the main parts are just about the same as the newer models. i'd wager that they are close enough to have a newer safety lever work well, or at least after a little fitting.
MARLIN 882 / 925 / 25 ETC. TRIGGER MOD. / JOB

looks like your bottom screw is missing in the post, is that just for the picture taken? otherwise how does your trigger stay attached to the post?

Awesome link TP. I really appreciate that. I actually have that safety lever and it does work in terms of blocking the trigger travel. The problem is, it works backwards of the engraving on the receiver. When it's on fire, it's safe and when it's on safe, it'll fire. I just noticed that the engraving on my rifle is opposite of your brother-in-law's 882, so maybe that's the problem? However, my receiver doesn't have the two grooves for the nub on the back of the safety to rest in at each position, which makes me think this lever is not the exact one I need.

The trigger on mine is held in place by a small pin that's inserted from the left side. After seeing your pictures, I took it apart and tried to see if the top screw would fit in the bottom hole, but the threading is too large so I'm pretty sure this is how it came.

Despite the problem with this safety, I decided to go ahead and install it for the time being. Although, I almost feel better about there being no safety at all than one that is the reverse of how it's labeled, so that may be short lived.