• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns MARS armament 1911 AXIOM

Bruiser_Joe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2009
Hell
I did not have this built although its about as close as humanly possible to the spec i would have built it as. A guy on m4 carbine.net had it built by the same guy who is building my rail gun. i guilted poison to buy it, lol figuring i would get it off him one day... suprise suprise i did!!! Now having put about 500 rounds through it i figured i'd give my impressions.

Mars Armament is a 1 man shop out of Utah, the Gunsmiths name is Steve Morrison, I have known Steve now for almost 3 year and can honestly say you couldn't find a nicer guy. I am honored to be able to call him a friend. He is very exact in how he builds guns, with that comes recognition and wait times for his guns have become fairly long. Thankfully this one was done. Steve is known for hard use guns and building guns that can go anywhere in any condition. I honestly believe that. His best known package known as "the thug" is probably one of the best packages you can get for a 1911 you honestly want to carry everyday.

http://marsguns.com/
http://www.marsguns.com/store/

the mars axiom package is one of his lower end reliabilty and finish packages. Steve does everything from minor work to full on custom builds which he is currently doin on a Colt rail gun for me.

MARS Axiom 1911 Standard Features
All parts inspected and hand fit
COLT forged frame and slide
COLT cold hammer forged barrel
COLT Commander hammer
MARS tool steel sear
MARS heavy duty, fitted firing pin stop
MARS solid aluminum or STI carbon fiber trigger
MARS forged plunger tube bonded to frame
MARS reliability package w/long life, corrosion resistant spring kit
MARS Gen 1 Integrated Lanyard Attachment Point mainspring housing
Novak cross dovetail front sight with tritium insert and white outline
Heinie Slant pro low mount rear sight with widened notch
Custom contoured thumb safety
High grip beavertail with memory pad- (grooves/no grooves)
Beveled magazine well
Smooth, reliable trigger pull
Dehorn of sharp edges for carry
Parkerized finish per U.S. MIL SPEC DOD-P-16232F Type M
Includes COLT factory box, manual, lock and 2 magazines

This gun was built off a WWI colt repro and has had some additional features like a gold bead front sight, mars golf balling on the front and back strap, along with high cut.

Through 500 rounds of mixed ammo the gun hasn't flinched at all, not a single malfunction and it runs like a top, the detail and fine work on it are amazing, and i can't say enough as to how much i love this gun. Which makes the wait for my Rail gun even worse.

the slide the frame fit is perfect with the slide feeling like its on ball bearings and the mag well is perfectly blended and almost seamless. the mars golfballing is a perfect texture and really works well without or with gloves (which i shoot with primarily). My gun is fitted with a wilson ambi safety which is also perfectly fit. The sights are some of Steve's own made in house and point awesome and are exactly what i would want in a solid hard use combat sight.

These pics were taken with my iphone so please excuse the quality but you get the point.

013846f6.jpg

ef9acdb6.jpg

99b73bd7.jpg

eac3bb0d.jpg

Steve's wait times are pretty extensive like most custom pistol builders these days on full builds upwards of 2 years. His packages like the axiom or thug are usually less then a year. I couldn't be happier and am honored to have 1 of his guns already with another on the way shortly. I will post more pics next range trip but i had been meaning to give him some recognition on here because he builds some amazing stuff.

Re: MARS armament 1911 AXIOM

and yes i absolutely love the flat trigger, one is goin in my rail gun and my commander currently being built by combat precision (Chris James, who is another amazing smith i review later)

Awesome. it's what makes ya happy.

how much was it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatrickChewing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe knows how to do it right!</div></div>

That is most definitely true

i'm just in the buy once, cry once mentality. i try to buy nice stuff the first time
laugh.gif
i'm old enough and have enough experience to know what i like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'm just in the buy once, cry once mentality. i try to buy nice stuff the first time
laugh.gif
i'm old enough and have enough experience to know what i like. </div></div>

Same here. It's the way to go IMO, doesn't leave you wishing and you get what you want the first time around.

Does anybody know anything about fusion firearms,I am thinking of doing a 1911 build and am interested in the pre fit slide frame kit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and yes i absolutely love the flat trigger, one is goin in my rail gun and my commander currently being built by combat precision (Chris James, who is another amazing smith i review later)</div></div>

Been following Chris's work on facebook since you posted some of his pictures. He does some amazing work,and they have some great 1911s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fusion is <span style="text-decoration: line-through">good</span> stuff. They sell pre fit kits as well as complete pistols. </div></div>

Fusion is decent stuff

Man that is a sharp lookin pistol Joe!
And not to totally hijack the thread, but since he did mention Chris James.....
Here is some pictures of the work of Mr. Chris James. This is my full custom from Chris and I too love the flat trigger.
CPT_8.jpg

Oh and it does get shot
smile.gif

CPT_classic_simplicity_12.jpg

CPT_classic_simplicity_15.jpg

You listed the hammer as a Colt part but it's actually looks like a Doug Koenig hammer from EGW.
DSC09844a.jpg

It is it was another additional option I just forgot to list. I love that hammer

Saw Chris posted that today. Joe if i only had the money it's a great price.

yeah no shit

went to the range today again, god i love this gun (shameless manners stocks plug :D)

b09025f3-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is it was another additional option I just forgot to list. I love that hammer </div></div>
Yeah, probably the best hammer on the market right now....lol...I might have to get a couple

Joe, out of curiosity - if you pull the barrel and reinstall the slide, do you have much vertical or lateral play in the slide to frame fit? Is the fit substantially more precise than a stock Colt?

TIA

Nice blasters.

Good luck

Very nice gun - congrats. I have looked at their guns several times over the years.

BigJoe,

You are one lucky SOB. Steve makes some awesome stuff. I was so glad when he moved back up from AZ though hated to see him up in the SL valley; not as close to visit. I came within a hairs breath of ordering one of his guns for my 50th a few years back but alas, settled for an Ed Brown SF.

6.5x47

Lol stand by as it just got an update and it's railed brother should
Be coming off his bench soon as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lol stand by as it just got an update and it's railed brother should
Be coming off his bench soon as well. </div></div>

Indeed. I saw it at his shop last week. Looks good.