• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing masking tape for cerakote

steveea

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
Should I be using masking tape for cerakote patterns, or special heat tape like they sell on nic's site?

Re: masking tape for cerakote

Regular blue painters tape has worked just fine for me. I stick it down on a plastic cutting board, draw a pattern with a sharpie and cut them out with an exacto knife.
Just be sure to let the air cure stuff dry for a bit before you move on to the next layers.
If you're using bake on, then flash cure it between coats "per NIC's suggestion"

IIRC I was told 15 minutes at 225 for each new coat, and then back to normal curing when you're all done.

DSC00267-1.jpg

Look close at that picture from brownells... It's Shercon tape. I see brownells has also put their name on Arthur Warner hss tools now too.

You could also search for original name Kapton® tape. We use this for 720f in re-flow ovens for surface mount. I believe you can find it allot cheaper other places. The tape we use is gold and should withstand 750f and that will good enough for any heat application.

Thanks for the info guys. Kapton tape states that a silicon adhesive is used. I have read that silicon can prevent a good bond with paint. Shercon is the best deal. Nic's tape is too costly. I also found precut stencils at

http://www.stevensonenterprise.com/bulldogarms/

However, one set of stencils would cost as much as a few rolls of tape from shercon. I wonder what the pros do?