• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Masterpiece Arms Problems?

dfiant

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2020
Anyone aware of a problem at Masterpeice Arms? I ordered a barrel from them and it is now two weeks late. I've emailed them several times and they keep telling me they will send it out but it never arrives. Customer service told me they lost the head guy from the bolt action department, so I’ve tried to be patient. I’m very concerned now because I emailed them last week, copying the owner on the email and they haven’t even responded.

Stinks to reorder somewhere else and start back at the beginning of the line but I get really concerned when a company that is typically very responsive goes quiet.

Last edited:
It'll come. Shipment quotes seem to be more "guestimates" than actual lines in the sand. Try to be patient. My stock was 4 months longer than quoted. I think eventually you'll be OK. But, it does suck.

It'll come. Shipment quotes seem to be more "guestimates" than actual lines in the sand. Try to be patient. My stock was 4 months longer than quoted. I think eventually you'll be OK. But, it does suck.
How is their communication on the extended times? 4 months off target "guestimate" seems like a long time. Did they give an explanation or just tell you to "try to be patient"? I wonder if that's par for the course or an exception?. Not picking, just curious.

I am relatively patient with lead time guestimates. I think it is kinda bs that a place cant estimate their lead time but whatever, what I've seen this seems normal. I had to make the decision before starting this project to accept it or not build my own custom rifles. Its why I went the custom action/prefit/shassis route since it seemed like gunsmiths can be very busy and lead times are astronomical and unreliable.

My real concern was that they respond quickly to my email request for an update telling me it is going to ship out and it doesn't. Then later responding to my request for an update agian, I am told they will go back to that department, put their hands on the barel and ship it out but it doesn't arrive. That sucks but they are responding withing a day of my emails so I feel like they are trying. They told me the lost a key employee and things were a bit of a mess. Then biggest concern happened when they didnt respond to an email from last Friday morning...now I am worried.

Last edited:
How is their communication on the extended times? 4 months off target "guestimate" seems like a long time. Did they give an explanation or just tell you to "try to be patient"? I wonder if that's par for the course or an exception?. Not picking, just curious.

I corresponded by email. It was a lady that always responded. It was always " almost finished - this xxxxxxxx just needs to be finished and it'll be ready to ship". There was no preemptive emails telling me there would be a delay - it was always a response to my inquiry if everything was going OK. If you've been involved with gun industry manufacturers, you kinda get used to it when you know they're just blowing you off and trying to buy time.
But, the stock was very nicely done and I'm happy with it. LOL - like a dumba$$, I'd probably buy another one if I needed to.

I corresponded by email. It was a lady that always responded. It was always " almost finished - this xxxxxxxx just needs to be finished and it'll be ready to ship". There was no preemptive emails telling me there would be a delay - it was always a response to my inquiry if everything was going OK. If you've been involved with gun industry manufacturers, you kinda get used to it when you know they're just blowing you off and trying to buy time.
But, the stock was very nicely done and I'm happy with it. LOL - like a dumba$$, I'd probably buy another one if I needed to.
So this is my first build, I plan to actually build three rifles in a modular fashion to be able to swap parts back and forth until all three are built. I spread the purchases out on this first one which is going to be a PRC hunting rifle when complete. Curtis Action, Area 419, Pacific Tool, Masterpeice, XLR, and Midway. Your description has been my experience with all except Area 419 which has been spot on but I bought items in stock, not custom manufactured items.

So I guess, I'll just sit and wait for the barrel...just not sure if I will buy from them again. Maybe after a while of the same experience over and over, I'll forgive them.

As an update, they did finally email me back today, the barrel is going out this week, they will contact me when the label is printed.

I own a stack of their chassis, and I really like them so dont take this as a dig on the company.

Barrels are barrels! LRI and SAC get barrels to me in days! There are so many options that are faster for barrels that I cant understand why so many people keep going through this same thing. If you are ordering from a smaller shop that has made the decision to stay small I understand it's a process that's different. But to go to one of the companies that's trying to crank out volume and you get lost in the mix I dont understand.

I have met Phil at matches a.d been squaded with a guy from their company(cant remeber his name) that I think ran the bolt gun side. Great guys to talk to and seem really nice.

But I tried ordering a few things direct and gave up. If you go through one of their dealers it seems to work better.

I think alot of confusion in our industry comes from companies selling direct and through dealers. Manufacturer has to keep large dealers happy. Then they TRY to do the same for individual customers.
It's a slippery slope for production and trouble shooting problems.

I hope they get it sorted out.

Reactions: lash
I own a stack of their chassis, and I really like them so dont take this as a dig on the company.

Barrels are barrels! LRI and SAC get barrels to me in days! There are so many options that are faster for barrels that I cant understand why so many people keep going through this same thing. If you are ordering from a smaller shop that has made the decision to stay small I understand it's a process that's different. But to go to one of the companies that's trying to crank out volume and you get lost in the mix I dont understand.

I have met Phil at matches a.d been squaded with a guy from their company(cant remeber his name) that I think ran the bolt gun side. Great guys to talk to and seem really nice.

But I tried ordering a few things direct and gave up. If you go through one of their dealers it seems to work better.

I think alot of confusion in our industry comes from companies selling direct and through dealers. Manufacturer has to keep large dealers happy. Then they TRY to do the same for individual customers.
It's a slippery slope for production and trouble shooting problems.

I hope they get it sorted out.

I'll check out those two you mentioned, do they do prefits or just blanks?

The reason I went through MPA, after searching website after website, they were one of the few that offered the ability to purchase a prefit for a Curtis Custom Axiom. And the other one I found and responded to my email even though $100 less had an 8-week lead time.

I'm doing this as a hobby researching and ordering typically at night/weekends. I don't have a local gunsmith, maybe I should? I wanted to be able to build, shoot, and reload as a hobby. Not sure if I'm unique or is there a larger customer base out there who want almost custom rifles that they can build themselves?

Anyone aware of a problem at Masterpeice Arms? I ordered a barrel from them and it is now two weeks late. I've emailed them several times and they keep telling me they will send it out but it never arrives. Customer service told me they lost the head guy from the bolt action department, so I’ve tried to be patient. I’m very concerned now because I emailed them last week, copying the owner on the email and they haven’t even responded.

Stinks to reorder somewhere else and start back at the beginning of the line but I get really concerned when a company that is typically very responsive goes quiet.
Looks like I just got a tracking number. Supposedly Phil Cashion went out and got it moving. I do appreciate that, however, I don't like to have to do it and won't buy from a company that I have to be a pain in their arse to get my product.

IDK what's going on over there. I ordered my rifle mid September was told 7 weeks. Its now week 12 and I finally got an email saying "your order was started yesterday" ummm its December 10th and now they sawing 2-3weeks more.

Its beyond frustrating. I try to be understanding since I'm in a custom build business too and things take longer. But wtf

I hate when things like this happen. I have worked with a lot of custom folks over the years (a lot of pistol builders and bike frame mfg). Life happens. Lead times get longer.

At some point it starts to hurt. Everyone losses. The customer is disappointed and ends up having some of the red rubbed off their candy, the mfg. gets a bit of a black eye, and if it continues, can get really ugly.

IMHO, most small shops are owned/ran by folks that are more of an artist. To create the things they do takes a different mindset. Unfortunately the ability to make/craft some of these items does not go hand in hand with being a good business person.

Reactions: TheRedAvocado
Al Oliver has hung his own shingle. He is a tough guy to replace.

Couple that with the fact that we are in the midst of a pandemic and you can expect delays.

Last edited:
They just need communication. No one ever answers the phone. You have to email and wait. The best is there IG, whoever runs that is on the ball and communicates with DM’s.

i run a custom shop and when we get swamped lead times change. Customers need to know there 5, 10,17 jobs ahead of there’s.

i run a custom shop and when we get swamped lead times change. Customers need to know there 5, 10,17 jobs ahead of there’s.
While I think that we can all agree that this is optimal, it’s really a double edged sword that cuts both ways in this business. If, as a custom shop, I tell you that honestly we are out 10-12 weeks, you are likely to think that is too long and go elsewhere. Case and point is above post by @dfiant wherein he turned down a $100 discount because of a quoted 8-week lead time.

Especially right now, smiths of all types and sizes are swamped. This is the current reality of the market. There are some large shops that can and do have quicker lead times. Sometimes you pay extra for that benefit.

Understand that I am not excusing the situation here nor trying to make a case for excessive lead times and non-communication. I’m only trying to point out the truth of how things are. A smith or shop quotes you 12-18 weeks and you’ll say “thank you” and move on. The smith or shop needs/wants to keep orders stacked up and so this happens.

Reactions: TheRedAvocado
Man, I'm about 1-2 answered questions away in an email thread from ordering an ultra lite rifle. estimate is at 14-16 weeks. bear hunt tentatively scheduled in 18 weeks....

I don't like the sound of this

I’m an MPA rifle owner. No complaints. Ordered this year, delivered on time, shoots great.

update: I ordered an ultra lite hunter rifle on Dec 10. If I remember correctly the lead time was 14-16 weeks.

I received an email yesterday that it is ready to ship, so will probably receive it around the 12 week mark.

I ordered my LE rifle on 12/8/20 and have yet to hear a word. Lead time was 14-16 weeks at the time. So I am patiently waiting for a few weeks longer. I emailed to add another part to it and got a quick response, so keeping my hopes up.

I ordered my LE rifle on 12/8/20 and have yet to hear a word. Lead time was 14-16 weeks at the time. So I am patiently waiting for a few weeks longer. I emailed to add another part to it and got a quick response, so keeping my hopes up.
i'd imagine you'll be fine in that timeframe. I didn't do anything fancy on mine. stainless steel barrel and only options from the drop downs

I ordered a pmr pro in 6.5 creedmoor in mid-October. I took delivery of it January 11th. I was in no hurry, and I never asked for an update. It was a painless experience.

Reactions: BigPrince
Ordered a PMR Pro mid December and haven't heard anything. Lead time on the site then put it mid April max so just chilling for now. Hope it's not too late. I guess at least I was able to order it. Seems everyone is backed up. Emailed LRI a couple times over the last month with no response on a potential build there also.