• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Match 5.56

FRO516BMX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I just picked up a DPMS Panther SDM. 20" 1x8 twist. Any recommendations on match ammo? Bullet weight? I don't reload at this time and I've only dealt with match .308 so far so anyone with some insight would be greatly appreciated. Shooting to a max of 300 yards right now. Thanks.

Re: Match 5.56

Black Hills 68 gr heavy match HP
Black Hills 69 gr Sierra Match King
Black Hills 75 gr heavy match HP
Black Hills 77gr SMK

Hornady makes a Hornday 75gr AMAX factory ammo as well

Federal also makes the Federal Gold Medal Match with SMK @ 69 and 77gr

I would recommend to start reloading it is easy and a hell of a lot cheaper to make your own match grade ammo. 69,77,80 gr will work with the 1x8 twist. If you insist on factory match i would say fed match 69,77 gr black hills 69,77 gr.Not sure if any factory match is available in 80 gr. I have not bought factory ammo in years.

I had good results with 75grn Blackhills red box ,when i had a Dpms mk12 1-8 twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillPrudden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bronx -

I have three semi-custom and fairly-precise ARs; a 16, 20, and 24 inch. The 20 loves Black Hills while the other two hate it, but they shoot Federals great. I ran a simple experiment - called Midway and ordered one box of each Hornady, BH, and Federal of the match grade ammo, shot groups, and then ordered cases of what each gun liked. What with that whole every gun being different thing, I suspect that is what you are best off doing.

And post results here!

Bill </div></div>

Yep, thats the best way to go. All rifles likes to eat diff ammo. I plan on doing the same once I complete my 20" Mk12mod1 clone

Thanks guys for all the info. I'm going to try to hit the range tomorrow if the weather holds, so I'll swing by the gun shop and pick up a few boxes of different ammo and see how I fare. I plan to start reloading, I was dragging my ass to get started but now it feels like I need to take a loan out to go to the range. I'll post pics up after I see what works.

Nope, it is all yours. I have never shot the .223/5.56 so I wont comment on it, but I put a few hundred rounds of the .308 through my M1A, and I didn't really care for it. Too bad too, because the price is right.

For that price at least shop American and buy HSM! I just grabbed a couple ea of the 69gr & 75gr to see what would best out of my rifle.

So far the 75gr shoots at or under .5moa out of the Savage 10FP. Have not tried the 69gr yet.

They also make a 75gr 'Tactical' that is crimped.

Black Hills blue box is reasonable and in my gun is as accurate as the red box stuff. Save the brass and start to reload