• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Competition Events Match Backpack Approved For Airlines

ncyotecaller

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 10, 2009
McLeansville, NC
Does everyone that flys to matches (mainly PRS) take their normal match backpack with them or do you have a different one for that purpose. I see airlines “technically” only allow packs to be carried on that are 22x14x9 or smaller. Just don’t want to get any surprises when I show up at the airport. I have several packs, an Upranger, A really nice T3 pack I normally use and a London Bridge pack. I can get a new pack if recommended so I’m not stuck with what I have.

Stone glacier avail 2200, mystery ranch scree 32 (Scree has conflicting dimensions on some websites, though).

Also you could consider some “regular” bags like Osprey Farpoint 40, Patagonia Black Hole 32, and Cotopaxi 35.

I’m interested to see what other people recommend!

I have a Eberlestock X31 Lo drag that I use as my carry-on bag, match travel or not. Perfect fit in the overhead bins. Rifle scabbard (folded in) is great for bulky items.

What’s the process of flying with your gun

Buy a Pelican 1750 with some sturdy padlocks.
Keep your ammo in factory boxes or reloads in ammo boxes/wallets, no more than 11lb of ammo
Buy a plane ticket
Show up at the ticket counter and say "I need to declare a firearm", fill out the little TSA card put in your case and check the rifle like any other bag.
Wait around for 15 minutes or so to make sure TSA doesn't need to access your case before you go through security.
Show your ID to pick up your gun at oversized luggage when you arrive.

It's all pretty simple.

Keep your ammo in factory boxes or reloads in ammo boxes/wallets, no more than 11lb of ammo
Buy a plane ticket
Show up at the ticket counter and say "I need to declare a firearm", fill out the little TSA card put in your case and check the rifle like any other bag.
Wait around for 15 minutes or so to make sure TSA doesn't need to access your case before you go through security.

It's all pretty simple.
Awesome thanks man!

Buy a plane ticket

It's all pretty simple.
Weirdly the only place I have ever had to go to oversized baggage and show my ID was Manchester, NH. Everywhere else has just dropped it on the baggage claim belt

I have flown with my eberlestock upranger a dozen times. I have 1 of the side pockets off the pack. it makes the size requsirements but Ive never had anyone check it. I have my tripod on my bag aswell. works great.

Travel alot for work, get status, check 3 free checked bags.....pack what I like

I use a kifaru shapecharge for NRL and other field matches and it works great. I also fly with it and use it for my office commuter. I also want to try the panel loader pack of a similar size from HPG. their harness is more comfortable than kifaru and mystery ranch.

Reactions: K80/6.5
I use a kifaru shapecharge for NRL and other field matches and it works great. I also fly with it and use it for my office commuter. I also want to try the panel loader pack of a similar size from HPG. their harness is more comfortable than kifaru and mystery ranch.
If you are taking about the aston 3 from hpg I strongly recommend it. I've tried most every bag on the market ands something would have to be pretty compelling to get me to change now. I've used it for airline travel for trips and it's my go to match pack. Nice thing is how small you can collapse it down as well if you don't have a ton in it

I have been using the Mystery Rach Pintler for both work and matches and have flow several times with it on Alaska Airlines tuned sideways... in fact I am on my way home from a work training right now with it on a layover. Even have a Two Vets Recon V2 strapped to the side of it. My team mate has the exact same setup and we jut put them in the overhead one in front of the other.
20231216_210155.jpg

Reactions: R_A_W
Buy a plane ticket

It's all pretty simple.

Gamechanger stay with your carry on or go on checked baggage usually?