• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Match Grade Ammo

Re: Match Grade Ammo

RCBS basic kit is good to go spend money on brass primers powder and bullets

only draw back will be time. you can always piece together the higher end stuff like a electronic powder dump and case trimmer as you go.

SingleShot85,
Thanks for the input. I am aware that the Brass, Bullets, Powder, and Primers have 99% to do with accuracy. I was just wondering (because I am relatively new at this) what items will help push that edge a little more. Thanks for your time, and attention. If you have any other tips, I am ALL EARS!

It will work fine, I still use a 2nd hand single stage Rockchucker that my dad gave to me. Somehow he managed to get a RC for myself and my brother, someone in church gave him one when her husband died and the other he found at a yardsale for about $10.

I don't remember which one I got but it's ancient, works exceptionally well, and I load a lot of ammo through it.

If you haven't reloaded anything before the Lyman manual has one of the best explanations of process and safety procedures out there. Remember that while people here might get snappy if you ask a question that is constantly discussed (aka, you should be using the search function first) it's better to don a thick skin and ask before you do something dangerous that could damage your rifle, you, or worst of all, someone at the range next to you.

The best thing to "push the edge" in quality of ammo is actually practicing and loading a lot of ammo, then getting more trigger time on the rifle/pistol you're working with.

A lot of ammo will shoot MOA with just a modicum of work and adherence to standard procedures, if you can't repeat these kind of groups all the time then shooting technique is more important than even the best ammo in the world.

Read TresMon Stickies at the beginning of the threads on reloading. Follow those for load development and you'll be an old timer much more quickly.

I was making match grade ammo 30 years ago with RCBS off the shelf dies. 30+ years ago that's all we had. Just pay attention to the small details. Set up a device to measure runout of the bullet ogive as it spins. Less than .002" is good to go.