• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

match load for a windrunner?

buckskin52

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
western PA
Anyone have the recipe for a match load for a windrunner in 50bmg. Most likely will be using Amax projos but if anyone has anything else that is extremely accurate let me know.

Re: match load for a windrunner?

I've owned and shot 50's for over 15 years. 215gr.H50BMG, AMAX,CCI#35 primer is a very good starting point. Try Lehigh projectiles-all his products have performed great in 4 different 50's. CLICKY

Lt, Are you running standard chambers or boreriders? I have not been able to find anyone who could get solids to shoot out of a non bore rider chambered rifle. I know his hybrid says it will shoot out of a normal chamber but most people I have talked to say they can not get them to shoot as good as the Amax's

I have a 100 of his solid ball projos I am going to try out of my windrunner, will try and update when i get around to it.

CJG

definetly looking forward to that, seems you can not beat the price for an accurate ball load. thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lt, Are you running standard chambers or boreriders? I have not been able to find anyone who could get solids to shoot out of a non bore rider chambered rifle. I know his hybrid says it will shoot out of a normal chamber but most people I have talked to say they can not get them to shoot as good as the Amax's </div></div>

Currently I have one stick with a borerider chamber (.554) and one with a hybrid chamber. The lehigh BALL shoots great in either.Just for clarification, the bullets deemed "semi-boreriders" have a .504" etching band and a .510 drive band. Borerider's have a .502"etching band and a .510 drive band. Unless your hybrid or standard military chamber has a short throat chances are that the AMAX is going to shoot the best.

The Lapua Bullex-N 750 or 800 grain are semi-borerider's. I've had standard chambers that liked them and some that don't-its a toss up. You have to try to develop a load that works.

With a borerider chamber the .502" etching band will slide into the front of the chamber ON THE RIFLING. a .504" etching band is too big and they will have to be loaded short,as will the amax. If you are laoding you own ammo and don't mind neck turning the cases the borerider chamber will make the 50 MUCH MORE accurate. Your windrunner may or may not like the monolithic bullets. AMAXES are very good but ,in my experience,they don't perform well above 2750fps.The Lehigh ball is reasonably cheap and FAR more accurate than military ball(especially if it has been pulled)and his semiborerider's do well in standard chambers.

I would stick with Hodgdon H50BMG, its not as temp sensitive as VV20N29 and VV24N41 is no longer readily available. Good Luck.

I appreciate the info fellas. I am still up in the air if I should try the lehigh Hybrids. $100 bucks is alot to spend if it is not going to work. It took alot of side jobs to get the gun and it seems it will take just as many to get her shooting how I want it to. Just trying to make the most well informed decision to keep the cost down and get the results I want. I really appreciate the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate the info fellas. I am still up in the air if I should try the lehigh Hybrids. $100 bucks is alot to spend if it is not going to work. It took alot of side jobs to get the gun and it seems it will take just as many to get her shooting how I want it to. Just trying to make the most well informed decision to keep the cost down and get the results I want. I really appreciate the help. </div></div>

Just buy the Lehigh Ball then...seriously though,you are shooting a costly caliber to begin with-not to mention you are shooting a $8000 stick plus whatever optic you have on it. NOW is not the time to try to save a few bucks.

50BMG is without a doubt the most frustrating cartridge to attain accuracy you are used to out of a 308 or other common centerfire rifle. You ARE going to spend ALOT of time shooting loads that don't work.

I would STRONGLY recommend buying the CH4D COLLET PULLER for 50BMG-YOU WILL be pulling down loaded ammo because the particular load didn't work for shit.

Pulled M2 700gr. Blacktips are going to be the most accurate of the military surplus. AND they are hard to find these days.You can try here: Pat's Reloading

AMAX and H50BMG is your best bet. With VERY careful attention to brass prep. But get the whole "keeping the cost down" thought out of your head. You'd have had substantially better success with a 338LM.
cool.gif
PS: if you plan on shooting that at Mifflin County-FYI: AMAXES are NOT allowed,as is tracer,APIT or Spotter/Tracer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate the info fellas. I am still up in the air if I should try the lehigh Hybrids. $100 bucks is alot to spend if it is not going to work. It took alot of side jobs to get the gun and it seems it will take just as many to get her shooting how I want it to. Just trying to make the most well informed decision to keep the cost down and get the results I want. I really appreciate the help. </div></div>

Just buy the Lehigh Ball then...seriously though,you are shooting a costly caliber to begin with-not to mention you are shooting a $8000 stick plus whatever optic you have on it. NOW is not the time to try to save a few bucks.

50BMG is without a doubt the most frustrating cartridge to attain accuracy you are used to out of a 308 or other common centerfire rifle. You ARE going to spend ALOT of time shooting loads that don't work.

I would STRONGLY recommend buying the CH4D COLLET PULLER for 50BMG-YOU WILL be pulling down loaded ammo because the particular load didn't work for shit.

Pulled M2 700gr. Blacktips are going to be the most accurate of the military surplus. AND they are hard to find these days.You can try here: Pat's Reloading

AMAX and H50BMG is your best bet. With VERY careful attention to brass prep. But get the whole "keeping the cost down" thought out of your head. You'd have had substantially better success with a 338LM.
cool.gif
PS: if you plan on shooting that at Mifflin County-FYI: AMAXES are NOT allowed,as is tracer,APIT or Spotter/Tracer.</div></div>
Could not possibly agree more with the above statement. The CH4D collet puller is a dream to use. I pulls bullets out so nice and easy with absolutely no marks at all. I have had GREAT success and accuracy with the 700 grain blacktip. They are almost as accurate as AMax's.
I like Hi-Tech for components also.
http://www.hi-techammo.com/

Hey Mechanic, all I need now is a HOLLYWOOD PRESS and I'll be GTG.
laugh.gif

No doubt, shoot a 50-you absolutely NEED a collet puller. All of CH4D's gear is top notch!

I have a pile of silver tip API's, I am working on a load for them, I will let you know what load I settle on. It seems I will get 2 within 1.5 inches at 200 yards then the 3rd one will be 3 inches away. It is all a work in progress. Any info is always appreciated.