• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Match prep when away for work???

david8989

The Tactical Texan
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2011
Bowie, TX
So I'm new to PRS type shooting and still about 6 weeks out before my schedule will allow me to start regularly attending matches. I have been doing plenty of positional dryfire and shooting at the range when I'm home. But I am away at work for 2 weeks a month with no access to a boom stick. Is there anything I can do without my firearms to help me prepare for a match mentally? Just trying to be as prepared as possible for the day, lol.

Indoor Optical Training Aid.
Don’t shoot the computer (no ammo around).

Learn to control your breathing to slow your heart rate like an assassin. Less influence into the rifle from your heart beat.

Or...if you can't dry fire grab any type of a wind meter and if you have it binoculars/spotter and practice reading wind. Guess by look/feal and confirm with the meter. Not sure if you are stuck in the city or country but this will probably do the most for you.

Reactions: FishDr
Learn to control your breathing to slow your heart rate like an assassin. Less influence into the rifle from your heart beat.

Or...if you can't dry fire grab any type of a wind meter and if you have it binoculars/spotter and practice reading wind. Guess by look/feal and confirm with the meter. Not sure if you are stuck in the city or country but this will probably do the most for you.
This is a GREAT idea! I'm primarily in the country and have those tools I could use. Thank you for this idea!

This is a GREAT idea! I'm primarily in the country and have those tools I could use. Thank you for this idea!

No problem. Worked construction briefly and did this. Works better if you can walk out to the spot you are spotting and estimating and get a general idea if you are close. Winds change so it could be off but getting am average and reading when the condition matches what you estimated at are important things to keep in mind.

Reactions: david8989
I was in a similar boat as you working in the industry.

While at work I'd bring a Gripmaster and wind meter/ range finder. I'd work on my Hand/ Finger dexterity and help my arthritis. Estimate wind and distance on breaks.

When at the doghouse and before sleeping I'd work core strength with bodyweight exercises and practice breathing/ heart rate control.

Wim Hof is quite the character and although I'd never pay for his online membership, I did find his "techniques" useful to get breathing under control and heart rate down. I'm sure he's not reinventing the wheel and there's others out there with similar or better methods, that's just who I stumbled onto first.

I was in a similar boat as you working in the industry.

While at work I'd bring a Gripmaster and wind meter/ range finder. I'd work on my Hand/ Finger dexterity and help my arthritis. Estimate wind and distance on breaks.

When at the doghouse and before sleeping I'd work core strength with bodyweight exercises and practice breathing/ heart rate control.

Wim Hof is quite the character and although I'd never pay for his online membership, I did find his "techniques" useful to get breathing under control and heart rate down. I'm sure he's not reinventing the wheel and there's others out there with similar or better methods, that's just who I stumbled onto first.
Grip strength is a great idea I didnt think of working on either. I am overweight and have been on a consistent workout regime for about 2 months and have seen the weight slowly shedding itself. So I'm up to distance and wind judging practice, grip and core strength workouts. Keep em coming guys! Thank you

Why not a non functioning "gun" parts thrown together for dry fire practice?

I’m in the same boat as you, as bad as I want to shoot when I’m here at work. I’m over around Jal NM. There’s several listings for ranges around here, more so around Hobbs NM...

Don’t drop that Kestrel in the pits! Lol

I knock out a few hours of brass prep with things I carry in a tote in the truck while off tour. This allows me to spend time with the family at the range when off hitch rather than at the bench.

Note I said bras prep, not bullets. Depending on the operator you’re working for even a loaded round could be considered contraband.

Don’t drop that Kestrel in the pits! Lol

I knock out a few hours of brass prep with things I carry in a tote in the truck while off tour. This allows me to spend time with the family at the range when off hitch rather than at the bench.

Note I said bras prep, not bullets. Depending on the operator you’re working for even a loaded round could be considered contraband.
Yeah that was something I did years ago but once they started freaking out over finding a single piece of brass in someone's truck bed I started leaving that stuff at home. My company is super over the top on that kind of stuff. Also I'm a rig manager so I dont have to take it up on the pits, lol

Don't stress about not being able to shoot for dry fire for 2 weeks at a time. I travelled a bunch over the last four weeks before the two-day PRS match this last weekend and my match prep was basically just verifying zero and dope the day before the match.

Train while you are home and if you are getting back the day before the match just make sure your ammo is loaded and gun is sorted before you go on your work trip. Keep it simple!