• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Match primers??

dbateman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
Mt Isa QLD, Australia
ok so i was buying primers the other day and old mate behind the counter
was trying to sell me match primers is it worth buying match primers over
standard LR primers?? im havent started to load yet just stocking up on componets

I did do a search and didnt find any thing?? but am sure this topic will have been coverd
thanks Dave

Re: Match primers??

Yes, they are more consistent in velocity spread in my experience. I use Federal but there are others. I use standard in all my pistol loading but only match in my rifles.

my chronograph says there is no difference in CCI200/BR2 and Fed210/210m, at least in the loads I shoot, so I always choose the cheaper if both are on the shelf

One thing is for certain, mileage will vary for different loads/conditions and the best way to go about it is try them out in the same loads and decide if its a benefit to your set up.

I shoot Fed match mainly but have actually had great luck with the cheap wolf as well. I will never buy or load another winchester primer after having two of them not pop. Both shots at elk, mad doesn't begin to cover what I was feeling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot Fed match mainly but have actually had great luck with the cheap wolf as well. I will never buy or load another winchester primer after having two of them not pop. Both shots at elk, mad doesn't begin to cover what I was feeling. </div></div>
TT- ask Jay about Fed 210M's not going off. I've seen several other shooters have the same issue. But, out of all the 210M/215M's we've shot, having a few not go bang is not that bad, I guess.

i use match primers in everything except my ar. i dont know if they are better or not, but the confidence that i did all i could to make the perfect load is worth the price diffrence to me

The main difference between "match" primers and standard are the match primers are inspected 1 more time.

I did a test a year ago or so with my GAP 308, Varget and Lapua brass and 210M, 210, and Russian. Shot 5 groups each with all 3 primers as the only varable. The 210M did best followed by the 210 but those were very close. The Russian was a distance 3rd. I think the ave group size was around - .525 for the 210M, .540 for the 210 and something like .8 for the Russian. Buts thats just my gun. Yours could be different. Should have done the CCI stuff but didn't have any at the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pinzmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a test a year ago or so with my GAP 308, Varget and Lapua brass and 210M, 210, and Russian. Shot 5 groups each with all 3 primers as the only varable. The 210M did best followed by the 210 but those were very close. The Russian was a distance 3rd. I think the ave group size was around - .525 for the 210M, .540 for the 210 and something like .8 for the Russian. Buts thats just my gun. Yours could be different. Should have done the CCI stuff but didn't have any at the time. </div></div>

The Federal primers work great in my rifles, but the PMC LR's (before Wolf started importing) and Wolf LRM's shoot just about the same with smokeless (again, this is in my rifles). It's funny that in my 2 BPCR's (a 40-65 and a 45-70) the PMC's are my first choice and CCI BR-2's are next.

A good place to start is the 210M, but you never know until you try the others.

No real help for your question I know
wink.gif

While I have a somewhat blase attitude toward treating primers as interchangeable and match primers as somewhat of a perhaps unnecessary luxury; I remind myself and others that when you change a component, you change the load. I think we may be seeing that the match primers shoot better because that was the load they performed best with. I'd be reasonably curious to see how the others performed if a small bit of adjustment to the powder charge for each was permitted as part of the test.

Getting back to the initial question; I find that my misgivings about substituting non-match primers for the same brand and style of match primer are misplaced, and that such loads typically show no distinct performance difference. I make no such representations when switching across brand boundaries.

<span style="font-style: italic">Usually</span>.

Greg

I dont shoot good enough to tell a difference but I'll buy the match primers if available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I have a somewhat blase attitude toward treating primers as interchangeable and match primers as somewhat of a perhaps unnecessary luxury; I remind myself and others that when you change a component, you change the load. I think we may be seeing that the match primers shoot better because that was the load they performed best with. I'd be reasonably curious to see how the others performed if a small bit of adjustment to the powder charge for each was permitted as part of the test.

Getting back to the initial question; I find that my misgivings about substituting non-match primers for the same brand and style of match primer are misplaced, and that such loads typically show no distinct performance difference. I make no such representations when switching across brand boundaries.

<span style="font-style: italic">Usually</span>.

Greg </div></div>

That was my first thought.....you can't just switch primers without retuning and expect peak accuracy. I know,,,, I tried it when running out. WLR's direct swapped in my .22-250 load tuned with a CCI 200's made my V jump about 130 fps and my ES jump to 175fps and my SD to be around 65ish.

Doesn't seem like anyone on here is confident that they make much of a difference over regular ones. Will anyone claim they notice an improvement?

well i just got 1800 remington 91/2 LR primers for $80au so it looks like im useing
rem for a wile

next stupid qustion what dose the 91/2 relate to ??

thanks for all the replies
.Dave

Has varied from load to load for me. Some loads work best with BRs, Fed match or 7-1/2s. Others like Wolf.

I think its more marketing than anything else...I have gone through a few boxes of BR2's but havent noticed too much of a difference over the standard CCI's

I haven't had any noticable difference between the match and standard, so I use stanard. Works very well for me.

Victor is right, the only difference in match primers over standard is that they go through a more rigorous inspection process. Manufacturing of the same type(brand/style) should not produce and different range reports.

I've only loaded match primers. I try to load my rounds as close to factory match ammo as possible, but to be honest, a primer does the same thing. I guess if the non-match misfires, that would be different. If you can find match primers, but those. If you can't, report on how well the non-match work? There isn't much of a price difference, but sometimes the match primers are a bit hard to find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalquark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will anyone claim they notice an improvement? </div></div>

If you post this over on 6mmbr.com, the guys that weigh primers for their 6PPC's will probably tell you differently than we will.

When you're shooting a rifle that competitions are won/lost over the difference of an aggregate in the 0.150's instead of 0.170's then it could matter, but I don't own a rifle that shoots at that level, nor can I pull the trigger that well to see a difference.