• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Matching Weaponized Math with Ballistic Software

Ubaderb

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2020
I just finished up a Treadproof class with Frank and Marc (I highly recommend it) where we did Weaponized Math out to 675 yards. I am having a problem getting any of my ballistic solvers to match my dope that we gathered. I am using Strelok, AB with a Kestrel, and JBM. I have my 600 yard dope spot on. 200-500 is only .1 to .2 off which isn't necessarily much but I would like to know if it can be brought to being exact. So for the other part of my data, 650 and 675 is .2 mils off of my actual used dope. I went ahead and filled out the rest of the sheets try dope and found my software to be back within .1 to spot on. Now is this a case of only getting a chance to use this to 675? Do I need to take this out to 1000 to clean up my data?

You don't say which direction you are off, if it is all high or low or a mix, 0.1 mils is typically a ~25 fps tweak for truing.

Much like validating your inputs with your app of choice, providing ALL of the info when asking a highly technical and nuanced question will give a better answer. The devil (and answer) is in the details.

I would say if you can get data out to 800yd then do it and hack your solver as Frank talked about in class to a solution. Otherwise, you may be able to use 400/600 data to hack your solver. If you use the 400/600 method, know that if you go further out, you may encounter more error than if you use the 600/800 method.

Listening to the podcast I thought Frank said use out to 600 to get your MV.
Then if the 800 is off you can adjust the BC in the app to line it all up.
Reason being that the BC may not be what you think is it. Hope that makes sense, Frank explains it much better than I could.

Listening to the podcast I thought Frank said use out to 600 to get your MV.
Then if the 800 is off you can adjust the BC in the app to line it all up.
Reason being that the BC may not be what you think is it. Hope that makes sense, Frank explains it much better than I could.
Yes. He uses those numbers because most people don’t have access to long ranges. 600 is a good MV truing distance. The BC should be tweaked as close to transonic as possible (roughly 1.2 Mach). That can be pretty far out depending on caliber so use what you got but 800 is the lowest I would use.

Yes. He uses those numbers because most people don’t have access to long ranges. 600 is a good MV truing distance. The BC should be tweaked as close to transonic as possible (roughly 1.2 Mach). That can be pretty far out depending on caliber so use what you got but 800 is the lowest I would use.
Ok. So the op does need to go further than 675 to true up.

Keep in mind .1-.2 can easily be one or a combination of a laundry list of factors that doesn’t always include velocity and BC.

When you can’t get software to line up the last tenth or two, that’s generally a sign that it’s something else.

Also, there’s no way to answer for sure if your data trued to 675 is going to perform well further. It all depends on your fundamentals, the accuracy of the inputs in the software (which includes if there was any non shooter error such as mirage or lighting at the time of truing). If everything was done correctly under ideal circumstances, it should carry on.