• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Matchmaster Dies

Watch_this71

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
Columbus, Ga
I bought a set in .308 and I'm having some issues with them. First off, I picked out some crap brass and cheap bullets to practice on since this is my first "trip" into reloading match ammo. The cases are federal and the bullets are Barnes 168gr TTSX BT.

My first issue is that the sizing die is sizing my neck too big for the bullet. I'm using what came with the set. The very nice lady I talked to at RCBS said that I needed a sizing BUSHING (Which is sold separately) instead of what came with the set.

My second issue is that I've no idea how to set up the seating die. Again, the very nice lady from RCBS said I needed to raise the ram and screw the die in until it almost touches the shell plate. From there, she kept cutting me off in midsentence and I couldn't explain what I wasn't understanding.

I've looked at the ultimate reloader dude's video on them and a couple others, but I'm not understanding what I'm doing wrong...

Little help please?

My first issue is that the sizing die is sizing my neck too big for the bullet. I'm using what came with the set. The very nice lady I talked to at RCBS said that I needed a sizing BUSHING (Which is sold separately) instead of what came with the set.
yes, this is pretty much industry standard

There are better sources of info than Ultimate Reloader

What are you not understanding about setting the depth? (I promise not to cut you off)

Please don’t take this the wrong way.

My advice is read a good reloading book and the rcbs instructions that came with the die set.

IMO, you aren’t able to “judge” YouTube videos without some basic knowledge for correctness.

What are you not understanding about setting the depth? (I promise not to cut you off)
The rod that seats the bullet and the thimble at the top is confusing me. First you have the flange thing to set the rod in the die. Which level do you set it to? That's the biggest thing. I understand that it's trial and error, but I'm not understanding where a good starting point is.

Please don’t take this the wrong way.

My advice is read a good reloading book and the rcbs instructions that came with the die set.

IMO, you aren’t able to “judge” YouTube videos without some basic knowledge for correctness.

No offence.taken. Do you have a place or.book I can get for learning how to set them? I'm a voracious reader.

Reactions: Schütze
The seating stem has different levels approximately (exactly?) 0.100" apart to allow you to seat different lengths of bullets. It also probably reduces the # of seating stems RCBS needs to manufacture for different dies (e.g. probably the same seating stem for 6.5cm & 6.5prc).

Setting the seating stem is a trial-by-error thing. I start by setting the c-clip located on the top of the seating stem to a depth that 1) allows the bullet to still drop through the window and down into the sliding bullet holder collar thing and 2) gets the bullet seated within 0.200" of desired seating depth once the top of the micrometer has been reinstalled so that it is pretty far out (long seating depth). That should get you in the ball park & leave plenty of room on the seating micrometer to dial down to your desired seating depth.

Lee, Lyman, Hornady, Sierra, etc. all make good books for beginners. You will learn a lot from any of them, quickly get past needing one, yet still end up with multiple. I know I have Lyman, Sierra, & Nosler... probably a couple others buried somewhere. Search Amazon for "Reloading Manual". Also, to get you started today, I believe Hornady's Reloading Guide app is free. Tap the menu bar & select, "Basics of Reloading" and "Tips & Techniques"

Last edited:
No offence.taken. Do you have a place or.book I can get for learning how to set them? I'm a voracious reader.
I’m not gonna give to much advice since I started precision reloading about 4 years ago.

In my case, I like hand loading for competition by Glen D. Zediker.
But I also had a great teacher with @Mike Casselton in helping me with any issues I have or still encounter today.
This brings up another IMO important point, try to find an experienced reloader in your area.

Reactions: R_A_W
This brings up another IMO important point, try to find an experienced reloader in your area.
This is big & not enough people do it today.

I started handloading 24 years ago & wish I had someone to walk me through it then. Note that years reloading doesn't equal experience... you see people doing all kinds of dumb stuff after decades of making ammo, people being out of date or unfamiliar with the current state of the practice, plus things like experience on a single stage only gets you started on a progressive, etc.

Reactions: Schütze
I use Matchmaster dies. My $0.02 follows. It's not hard to do once you figure it out. For safety's sake, DO NOT allow more than the powder you are using in the same room, let alone on the bench. Make F***ING SURE you have the right powder and the right load info!
  • READ and comprehend the instruction sheet that came with the dies for setup instructions - I just pulled one of the sheets out of a die box, and the instructions may be a little intimidating for a newbie but they are easy enough to follow.
  • You will indeed have to buy at least one neck sizing bushing. The instruction sheet will tell you how to determine what size you need. You will need a loaded round for this as well as a decent caliper capable of consistent measuring to the .001 inch. While it would be best to have a round loaded with the brass you intend to handload, it is not necessary. Just measure the neck diameter of a loaded round and subtract .002-.003" to get the diameter you need.
  • See the instruction sheet for how to install the bushing in the size die. Put the cap back on and tighten until it stops against the bushing, then back off just enough to allow the bushing to move within the die body. Tighten the lock ring.
  • Screw the die into the press until the bottom of the die touches the ram or shell plate or whatever is holding the cartridge. Read the die instruction sheet for fine-tuning directions.
Make sure you lubricate the cases before resizing. You just need enough for the case to have a thin film. If you use too much - this would be like having it nearly puddle around the case if you set it on the bench - you can ruin the case; a good loading manual will show pictures of this and explain how it happens. Too little lube, the case is stuck in the die and you tear the rim off trying to pull it out. Or you end up with brass galled onto the wall of the die which puts a scratch into every case that goes in thereafter.

Everyone who handloads for precision rifle develops their own process for starting with empty cases and finishing with live ammo. Just pay attention to the steps in any decent loading manual and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Here are a couple of good videos on sizing

Panhandle Precision - Sizing Process

Impact Shooting - Selecting a bushing

Eric Cortina - Adjusting your die