• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Mauser 257 roberts

Stevo86

No one
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • May 26, 2014
    Just thought I’d show off my new Mauser I picked up, not sure who did the work, but the wood stock appealed to me. I’ve never seen a wood stock quit like this.
    B06293C1-A032-49B3-8708-2D461110F09F.jpeg

Looks like someone who knew what they were doing fit and finished the stock, it is nice. It looks like a Monte Carlo style that was popular back in the 70's and earlier. Shooting it standing, you should be able to rest your right elbow against your stomach and the palm rest fit well in your palm. Very similar to holding an M1 Garand when shooting CMP matches.

Reactions: Stevo86
    Any idea as to what the barrel is?
    They put in lots of neat shit back when. Accurate as the Hubs of Hell. right thru thru the center as far out as the scope is good, smooth as glass.

Reactions: Stevo86
    That is right out of the 1970's and was very trendy back then. If you look at the Gun Digest or Guns Annual type books from then, you will see all kinds of customs with that style. It's sort of the Harvest Gold and AMC Pacer level of easy-to-identify '70's style.

Which is not fair to the gun. Because from a workmanship and 'shooting' standpoint, they were building AMAZING quality customs back then. But because styles have changed (and many tastes) these guns do not get nearly the respect they deserve. These were made at a time when very old-world guncrafting techniques were still in use. And when the cost of one of these could equal a new car...

So today, you can pick up something that probably cost $2,000 - 3,000 in 1970's dollars for almost nothing. We're talking about $20,000 in today's dollars!

Obviously not every custom was in that category... but this one is pretty unique and looks to have been pretty superbly executed! Very cool wood!

I'd love to know more about maker, barrel, etc. Because I am willing to bet you stole a gem! Even if it's in a style that says "Partridge Family" a bit more than it says Rourke or Capstick... (though Capstick had some pretty interesting stuff in his latter years!)

Well bought! Beautiful piece!

Sirhr

Reactions: Anb618 and Stevo86
    I did some more searching online for fajen stocks and I seen several that looked very similar to this one. Good guess

Oh and .257 Roberts was making a huge comeback in the '70s and early '80s. It's a great caliber. Very versatile and a wonderful cartridge to shoot for everything from gophers to deer!

Again... well done!

Cheers,

Sirhr
    Hey! ? .257 Roberts wasn't making a comeback, it was just getting recognized by newer shooters who didn't have to have a magnum. I thought it was big in Nevada. I then talk to a bunch of Texans and somewhere there must be an unwritten Texan law that thou shalt have a .257 Roberts. Absolutely wonderful cartridge for Texas. it was a great long range shooter way back when with 117 gr. and 120 gr. spitzers. It was also quite capable with a 117 or 120 gr. round nose at "reasonable" ranges on elk. I took one elk with a 100 gr. spitzer moving like a bat out of hell.

To the OP:
    Thanks for sharing. While I have other cartridges that reach farther, the .257 Roberts remains one of my favorites. Especially on a Mauser action. Feeding is a non-issue with all bullets as the rails, feed tray and feed ramp are all set for the Mauser case it uses. Thanks for posting.

Last edited: