• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mauser 98 actions

JoshPutman

Make tar and feathers great again.
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2020
Michigan
Just out of curiosity, are the old Mauser 98 actions desirable these days? I know there are a shit ton of modern actions on the market now, but do any custom rifles get built on the old stuff very much any more?

Reactions: roostercogburn98
you can but in reality why

design, quality, nostalgia aside; they dont make it as easy compared to buying a 700 clone/foot print action

no prefits, no chassis, not 100 triggers to choose from etc

if i had a mauser (i have a couple) id keep them in original or current condition

as is they are a great woods hunting rifle if thats what you like doing

light, handy, accurate enough

Reactions: JoshPutman
Yeah, I was just curious. My stepdad had a 22-250 that was built on a Mauser 98 action. Beautiful gun.

Ya there awesome! If starting from scratch just start with a arc mausingfield and get the modern amazing version of it.

Yes.
If you want a classic rifle, M98 is where its at!
A custom M98 action costs from $5-6000.

But you can build extremely nice rifles on plentiful and cheap "commercial" actions!
Husqvarna 146, 640, FN M98 are easily available and great actions!!

Several forums that cater to more classic rifles then Rem 700 clones and glassfiber competition stocks... ;)

Dorleac & Dorleac
DD-93-Schauz-14-980x418.jpg

etapes-000401.jpg

Westley Richards

WRstandard.jpg

untitled-6-of-30.jpg

If you want to do the build yourself, it is a great action to start with. If you are paying a skilled 'smith, then you will have 2x-4x into it than it is valued. I have a dozen or so of them that I put together and 2 that somebody with more skill than me built. All of them shoot great, but you can tell by looking at them, which ones I built. They are not as easy to build as a Savage - just a WHOLE LOT prettier.

Reactions: Modoc
I'd go with a Mausingfield receiver. All the benefits of the Mauser action but takes remington triggers and stocks, as well as Savage barrel threads

Reactions: Simonsza1
Next related question. Are any of the custom action builders making a magnum length action with control round feed? (Magnum length being 375H&H length)

This is considering that according to my best knowledge, the Remington 700 long action is Magnum Length.

I have 2 Mauser action rifles. Both 7x57mm.
One is a modern (1980's era) European made "Mark X" hunting rifle and is slick as glass & has beautiful walnut wood. Excellent adjustable trigger. Comes drilled & tapped for scope from factory & if memory serves has iron sights as well.

The other is a 1908 Brazilian contract military rifle made in Germany between 1908-1914 (I think) and sold to Brazil. In the late 1950's/early 60's Brazil sold some to the Dominican Republic and these were D.R. arsenal factory refurbished. Mine is in a sporter configuration and is stamped "1961 Rep Dom" and is ABSOLUTELY beautiful, almost mint condition, with beautiful dark walnut. Being military, it has a much longer throat than the commercial variant Mauser.

In my opinion, if you want a Mauser, get one. People bitch about modifying military rifles, and I agree with the above. Get one already built, cuz it can be a rabbit hole/money pit if you wanna start with a military surplus action & build up.

Last edited:
My father spent his whole life stripping down military Mauser 98's and sporterizing them, including making stocks from blanks. It made since back then because surplus Mausers were like $30 a piece. I didn't realize the scope of how many until I went to take care of his estate. I now have a LOT of Mausers in varying states from stock to deercamp beautiful. I'm still trying to figure out how to rehome a lot of this.

Last edited: