• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mauser bolt safety question

JoshPutman

Make tar and feathers great again.
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2020
Michigan
I have a rifle with an Oberndorf Gew 98 Mauser action made in 1916. It's a custom rifle chambered in 22-250 with a nice Monte Carlo stock. I have no idea when the custom work was done, as the first time I remember my step-dad showing it to me was back in the mid 80's, and he bought it already customized.

So the whole point of this is, I want to figure out my minimum shoulder bump by stripping the bolt and sizing a case until the bolt handle falls under its own weight. The problem is, it appears to have an aftermarket safety lever where the fire position is on the right side instead of the left.

From watching a few videos on how to strip the bolt, they say to have the safety straight up when you remove the bolt from the action. This aftermarket lever does not allow me to do that. The only way the bolt knob lifts is with it in the firing position.

First thing is, I wonder if anyone can identify this safety lever, because I'm curious. Second, how to strip the bolt properly with this lever not working like a stock one.

I'm planning on switching the safety back to stock eventually. In the mean time, I want to know what I'm doing with this one.

Any advice is much appreciated.

20230709_132229.jpg
20230709_132323.jpg

You have to pull the bolt out of the rifle and with the safety on fire, hold the striker back while rotating the bolt shroud to remove it. The edge of a wood board or picnic table helps a lot.

Three hands helps too.

I would like to buy that safety from you when you replace it.
Thanks.

Sounds good, thank you. I'm gonna check a few local places to see if they have an original safety.

As soon as I find one, I'll message you about this one.

Second for Numrich. I do like that, even though I have a couple that were converted to Model 70 style safeties. Full custom jobs.

After talking to a few guys locally, and reading more about it, I have decided to keep this safety as is.

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Reactions: Modoc