• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mauser K98 question

nzgrip

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
For the Mauser smiths out there.....

Does the barrel tighten on the end of the barrel on the internal shoulder of the action or does the barrel tenon shoulder tighten on the outside end face of the action??
I've had one smith say internal and another say external.

It is designed to run a .002-.004" crush fit on the internal c ring and flush on the external face

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've seen a lot of chatter either way. As Gewehr said, military rifles are crush fit to the internal ring. When I was taught to build rifles, we built our Mausers to torque on the front face of the receiver, however. I think its a matter of personal preference in the end. I still build mine torque'd on the front face, though I'm thinking about testing the theory for myself by building one to torque on the internal ring, test fire it, then trim the shank to torque on the front face, and see if the rifle shoots better one way or the other.

Wes

I've seen a lot of chatter either way. As Gewehr said, military rifles are crush fit to the internal ring. When I was taught to build rifles, we built our Mausers to torque on the front face of the receiver, however. I think its a matter of personal preference in the end. I still build mine torque'd on the front face, though I'm thinking about testing the theory for myself by building one to torque on the internal ring, test fire it, then trim the shank to torque on the front face, and see if the rifle shoots better one way or the other.

Wes

I tried that test you described once and found that it shot better torqued on the C ring believe it or not. not by much but it was a little better.

Several custom gun makers I've talked to say not to crush fit Mauser actions.
I've been told if you doing a barrel install with minimal machine work, bumping the barrel to the outer ring will be just fine.
But if you're competent in gunsmithing and machining, you can get the barrel the bump to the outer ring and inner lugs.

Several custom gun makers I've talked to say not to crush fit Mauser actions.
I've been told if you doing a barrel install with minimal machine work, bumping the barrel to the outer ring will be just fine.
But if you're competent in gunsmithing and machining, you can get the barrel the bump to the outer ring and inner lugs.

Do you mean the inner torque shoulder aka the c-ring?