• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Mauser question.

JoeAdams

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Hibbing MN
I have a Mauser 98 in 458 win mag. It has the safety literally broken off. I'm not going to fire it until I get it fixed. How do I repair it? Also got any tips on how to make it worth more? I paid $350 for it. I can put at least $1000 in it.

Re: Mauser question.

What type of safety? Is this an orginal military action, or a commercial action?

Just curious.

Anyway, if its a bolt shroud safety you just pull the bolt, rotate the shroud and pull the safety and install the new one. If you are not comfortable fitting the new safety have a smith do it. It pretty straight forward. Lots of instructions online.

If its a trigger safety, buy a new trigger.

And I'm not even sure how to respond to the last half of your question. Get your nomex undies on though.

The main thing to watch out for on a Military Mauser 98 safety installation is that when the safety is applied it must draw back the firing pin a small amount like at least .012 to .015 .
So that if the trigger is inadvertantly touched during the time the safety is on the sear will still catch the firing pin when the safety is taken off. Without this slight draw back , the gun can fire as you move the safety to the off position.
What can happen is the safety does not draw back the firing pin any and when you touch the trigger it lets the firing pin sear fall infront of the trigger sear but onto the safety , you don't notice the very small amount of movement . When you put the safety off the trigger sear can not arrest it's travel and boom.
The mistake is mainly caused by people trying to make a silent safety by honing it for a smooth easy engaugment but too smooth and easy means no draw back and danger.

Why not convert it to one of these?

Twopositionsafeties002.jpg
Twopositionsafeties001.jpg

If you are putting money into it, then go with Gundoktr's idea first.
Put it in a nice stock for starters- I mean NICE, you may or may not get this for 1000 though, but a classic safari deserves good wood.