• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mauser sporterized to 30-06, can I update?

Bender

Known Troll
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2014
    Cheyenne WY.
    I had it reblued and rebedded about 10 years ago, it is an ugly beast. my dad bought it in 63 off a highway patrol officer for $35.

It has an AMAZING set trigger that is STUPID light. but i love this old gun, just want to bring new life to it.

I was just thinking a more modern stock and new barrel? I would LOVE to make it into a a long range gun even if I only save the action and trigger.

What say you all......

IM000690.jpg

IM000691.jpg

IM000692.jpg

IM000695.jpg

IM000698.jpg

Last edited:
    To tell the truth, I wouldn't touch it. The 30-06 is the longest cartridge you can pot in it. You might be able to do
    a short magnum to get a bit flatter shooter, but the 06 is good for long range as well. I have an FN commercial 98 action in 30-06
    tht is sub 1/2" at 100 yards. It was built in 64 with a Flaig Ace barrel. I wouldn't change that rifle either. I also have a Mauser VZ-24 actioned rifle in 25-06 that was sub 1/2" at 100 yrds. I could take out shotgun primers at 100 yrds with that rifle after I built it. It has a Shilian barrel. I would love to have the double set triggers on my rifles. Th 25-06 has a Timny and the 06 has a Sako. Both are nice 1.5lb triggers.
    Yours looks to have a Bishop stock. If oil finished, you can add a couple of cats of boiled linseed oil ant it will look good as new. The checkering is well done from what I can see in the pics.

I need to go shoot it again. IIRC it would not group at all. I need to check to see if the scope is loose or even broken. The groups were that bad. I used to have a vintage blued weaver on it. wish i still had that. It is a cool old gun.

As I recall, the scope you have on it, was not that good. They looked kool, but didn't hold zero. Do you remember what barrel is on it?

I have no idea of the barrel. there is not a mark ay all, just a proof mark. no caliber or anything.

To tell the truth, I wouldn't touch it. The 30-06 is the longest cartridge you can pot in it. You might be able to do
    a short magnum to get a bit flatter shooter, but the 06 is good for long range as well. I have an FN commercial 98 action in 30-06
    tht is sub 1/2" at 100 yards. It was built in 64 with a Flaig Ace barrel. I wouldn't change that rifle either. I also have a Mauser VZ-24 actioned rifle in 25-06 that was sub 1/2" at 100 yrds. I could take out shotgun primers at 100 yrds with that rifle after I built it. It has a Shilian barrel. I would love to have the double set triggers on my rifles. Th 25-06 has a Timny and the 06 has a Sako. Both are nice 1.5lb triggers.
    Yours looks to have a Bishop stock. If oil finished, you can add a couple of cats of boiled linseed oil ant it will look good as new. The checkering is well done from what I can see in the pics.
    I have a 98 mauser chambered in 300WM it also wears a Shilen barrel. Mcmillan inlets for mausers and CDI is going to make bottom metal to fit long action aics mags. Farrell also makes a nice 20 moa base.

I have a 98 mauser chambered in 300WM it also wears a Shilen barrel. Mcmillan inlets for mausers and CDI is going to make bottom metal to fit long action aics mags. Farrell also makes a nice 20 moa base.

That is what I want to do.....but leave it in .30-06, it will have to wait on the back burner for some time while I scratch money together. If I save just the action and trigger it would be fine. I would rather update it and use it than have it sit and never use it.

be aware there are different length Mauser actions. Buy Kunhousen's book on the Mauser rifles. This will let you know what yours is. As for Proof marks, what are they? This isn't a 8mm barrel re-chambered to a 30-06 case, is it? That was done allot in the 1960's. measure the bore.

There are loads of great Mauser based chamberings you could go to.
    A fast twist 6mm Remington or 6.5x57 would both be excellent choices.
    If you wanted to go a little less classic a straight 284 wouldn't suck in a long action.

Actually those Shepard scopes are pretty decent pieces. They do tend to be more fragile compared to "tactical" scopes we are used to encountering today, but they are fine on hunting rigs. Its really easy to see if you have lost zero by taking a shot at a target, adjusting the large dials (moves the circle reticle) until it encompasses the bullet hole, and firing another shot (using the cross hairs) at the target. If the second shot hits within the circle reticle, they you just adjust the crosshairs to match. Easier done than said.

My old man has a handful of the older Shepard scopes and loves them.

I would also second making sure that you have a .30 tube. Good chance that somebody in the past chambered it for the once popular wildcat 8mm-06. I have a couple old Mausers that have had this treatment, and they tend to shoot pretty decent with the proper sized projectile. Both of my rifles will approach 2900 fps with 175 sierra's over a healthy dose of Varget.