• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Max COL for new Savage magazine?

Ty Linger

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Montana
Does anyone know the maximum cartridge OAL I can load with the new box centerfeed style magazines on the short action model 10? Thanks guys.

Re: Max COL for new Savage magazine?

Troskie,
I just measured the factory mag on my 10fcp. Came out to 3.026 for the total inside length (metal to metal). You'd have to back it off a few thou, but I haven't messed with it yet to figure out what will feed. I'm just getting started with this rifle. I have some SSS 9 round mags backordered and can measure them when they get here if it helps, but they should be pretty close. Hope this helps.

Crewdog

Thank you very much, Crewdog, it does help and if you could give me the dimensions on the SSS mag's I'd really appreciate it also.

Sharp Shooter Supply is the only one I know making them. They are $74.80 each. The link is below, just scroll down on the main page and you will see them. They were a few weeks backordered. I'll let you know when I get mine, but a function eval will have to wait. I don't have any glass on the rifle right now, still waiting for the falcon menace to come in. The guys at savage shooters forum had nothing but good things to say about them though.

www.sharpshootersupply.com